IGNORED

teleportation

Guest boo

teleportation  

47 members have voted

1. 1. so if there was a teleportation machine that destroys your brain and body, sends that stuff to the pig farm and remakes you at the other end, in precisely the the state you entered the machine in, with all your memory cells present and correct, drug addictions etc. all still there, back pain, headache, etc. all still there... would you say that was still you?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's not you it just thinks it is.

and i think it's me

yeh, but it's not you it just thinks it is. :rolleyes:

i wonder why it thinks that

it's not you it just thinks it is.

and i think it's me

yeh, but it's not you it just thinks it is. :rolleyes:

i wonder why it thinks that

because it has all your memories and ailments, as per first post.

basically you go in the teleportation machine, then you walk out at the other end, as you

if you were to clone yourself, you'd become 2 different people over time, but in this teleportation destroying the original copy situation, it's just you IMO

i dont think we can possibly accurately decide wether there is more to human personality than a bunch of certain size and type cells in a very specific format and pattern.

yeh, but if you get destroyed at one end, then that being is dead.

a perfect reconstruction, whilst exactly the same in essence, only came about at that instant, and despite sharing memories, personality traits, gayness etc, is categorically not the original being.

it just thinks it is you.

If your soul is supposed to be gone somewhere else after teleporting, then how can you still be alive? Ever seen any living thing without a soul? So if you have been teleported and are still alive it means you are still you, because you still have your soul.

Not sure if the soul exists, but if it does, I provided a sound argument right there innit

yeh, but if you get destroyed at one end, then that being is dead.

a perfect reconstruction, whilst exactly the same in essence, only came about at that instant, and despite sharing memories, personality traits, gayness etc, is categorically not the original being.

it just thinks it is you.

the body is dead, but everything that makes you who you are isn't dead.

what about this?

alistair says:

but isn't it correct that by age 30 you've basically regenerated?

Iris says:

yeah

but that's different cos thats a part of aging and living and growing

alistair says:

so you're not the person you were born as then..

but i would agree with that!

Iris says:

hmm maybe..

alistair says:

well you certainly aren't because of all the experiences you've experienced

Iris says:

post that then, thats a good point

alistair says:

etc.

i wouldn't know how to say it in post form

Iris says:

try

alistair says:

i need proof of that regeneration thing

to be sure..

Iris says:

wiki it

i thought it was true though, just write it anyway

alistair says:

yea i dunno what to search

Iris says:

'' but isn't it correct that by age 30 you've basically regenerated? so you're not the person you were born as but you are still you, how is this different from the clone?'' << something like that

id like to know that actually

its an interesting point

alistair says:

can i post it in im chat form again

lol

Iris says:

sure sure

alistair says:

i'm not trying to appear intelligent..

Iris says:

post that too

edit: i was saying i'm not trying to appear intelligent because iris said some of my posts in this thread make me look stupid

which i am

Guest Rambo

You aren't made of the same the same stuff you were just a sort time ago. It's just an illusion that's being constantly maintained.

what if you were in a coma for 7 years and all your cells died off and were replaced by new cells over that 7 year period which is how long it takes for all your cells to be replaced

is it still you?

what if you were in a coma for 7 years and all your cells died off and were replaced by new cells over that 7 year period which is how long it takes for all your cells to be replaced

is it still you?

This is essentially what Tauboo was getting at in his conversation.

I think yes, it is still you because those new cells exist within the same entity and can recall that entity's past experiences. Anything that exists outside of the body from which you are currently engaged in this argument is not a part of your functioning body. A lost finger, unless somehow reattached and subject to the nervous system that is permitting your participation in this thread, is not part of that nervous system (you).

Guest Rambo

well this is getting into dangerous territory but the person isn't actually you but for the sake of the discussion....

edit. was talking to autopilot

Guest tv_party

given conditions as stated by the OP, I propose that for the external observer it's undetectable, but it's a copy and "you" cease to exist from "your" perspective.

I think if I was killed as a pig and turned into bacon, my soul would still inhabit the bacon creating some sort of unstoppable bacon god

lol

also

tauboo you've found ways to mention your large cock at least 3 times in the past week, congrats

Guest analogue wings
given conditions as stated by the OP, I propose that for the external observer it's undetectable, but it's a copy and "you" cease to exist from "your" perspective.

I thought that this was massively obvious but it seems it is not

it's just alarming and kinda depressing how you seem to passively accept the idea of being obliterated. self preservation ftw

Yeah. This thread, and tauboo, scares me.

Is the mind separated from the body?

What is a mind?

What is a soul?

A mind is a thought process.

The soul is the experience of that thought process.

Archived