IGNORED

the one thing i hate more than life itself

Fred McGriff

Guest Iain C
perhaps the best ad ever, got banned for some reason

Fucking love it!

Commercials are incredibly irrelevant

I was once in a houseware store and came to the duvet cover section, where I saw Jordan and Linda Barker splattered on the front of duvet packages, leeching from the advertising profits. I thought to myself that if money were non-existent, there wouldn't be any relevance to their face being put on those packaged products.

What we need to have are duvet covers made from the best materials available and with no price tag. Fuck advertising.. I'd be ashamed of myself for putting my face out there on products for monetary gain.

If there were no money there'd be no shops in the first place, would there? I love people who are anti-advertising on principle, it's really cute. Adverts are amazing and frequently more entertaining and creative than TV programmes, magazine articles, etc.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there were no money there'd be no shops in the first place, would there? I love people who are anti-advertising on principle, it's really cute. Adverts are amazing and frequently more entertaining and creative than TV programmes, magazine articles, etc.

You're correct, there would be no shops. But isn't if funny how technological employment is taking over jobs at your shops? I walked into Tesco and found myself being served by a machine. How long will it be until people in the Service sector of work lose their jobs to machine automation.. where will the transfer of jobs go to? How long is it going to take before people realise how outdated the money system really is? It can't keep up with the current technological capabilities of today.

How does advertising benefit society as a whole? Does it benefit the children dying of poverty around the world? Or does it help the rich and wealthy choose from a range of 50 different cereals in their local supermarket?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

oh god yeah thats a bad one (in the first post). the dancing is so fast and the faces at the end drive me nuts too

Guest Iain C

You're correct, there would be no shops. But isn't if funny how technological employment is taking over jobs at your shops? I walked into Tesco and found myself being served by a machine. How long will it be until people in the Service sector of work lose their jobs to machine automation.. where will the transfer of jobs go to? How long is it going to take before people realise how outdated the money system really is? It can't keep up with the current technological capabilities of today.

How does advertising benefit society as a whole? Does it benefit the children dying of poverty around the world? Or does it help the rich and wealthy choose from a range of 50 different cereals in their local supermarket?

I love the self-service machines in the supermarket.

PS, there's already a zeitgeist thread if you want to spout your anti-semitic conspiracy theories to people who give a damn.

I don't think a member of staff at Tesco loves the machine making him/her redundant over time.

Guest Iain C

I don't think a member of staff at Tesco loves the machine making him/her redundant over time.

I always chat with the bloke, John, who does the night shift at the 24-hour ASDA down the road from me. He supervises the self-service machines. He has never expressed a problem with them, and actually I suspect loves the authority of watching over them. Nice guy.

If you go to the supermarket during the day, which I try not to do, the actual checkouts outnumber the self-service by over a dozen, I should imagine. I'm not about to count. But I'm not arguing about this, because I hate you and your stupid Zeitgeist "I've seen a video on the internet and I know how to solve the world's problems" attitude. I have heard it so many times from so many people that I just do not want to hear it again.

I don't think the owners of small stores love you shopping at Tesco making them redundant over time.

I have heard it so many times from so many people that I just do not want to hear it again.

You don't want to hear ideas that others offer which may be a better direction than the one humanity is heading in now?

Now if I saw John and asked how he would feel about a machine that overwatches other machines doing their jobs within ASDA, would he feel a little threatened do you think? John still needs to survive in the current system just as you and I do.

I don't think the owners of small stores love you shopping at Tesco making them redundant over time.

Exactly. As much as I'd really like to shop for my groceries at small shops/butchers/fresh fruit and vegetable market stalls, it's just not practical in the town I live in.

Guest Iain C

I have heard it so many times from so many people that I just do not want to hear it again.

You don't want to hear ideas that others offer which may be a better direction than the one humanity is heading in now?

Now if I saw John and asked how he would feel about a machine that overwatches other machines doing their jobs within ASDA, would he feel a little threatened do you think? John still needs to survive in the current system just as you and I do.

John would tell you about his adult son and daughter-in-law who live in Denmark, where it's mandatory that you buy a pair of snow tires with your new car. He would also talk about how they shoud bring back national service, and about how Manchester is friendlier than London. I'm pretty sure he'd also think you were a profound twat if you asked him about your hypothetical machine.

John would tell you about his adult son and daughter-in-law who live in Denmark, where it's mandatory that you buy a pair of snow tires with your new car. He would also talk about how they shoud bring back national service, and about how Manchester is friendlier than London. I'm pretty sure he'd also think you were a profound twat if you asked him about your hypothetical machine.

So what solution do you propose to technological unemployment?

They should bring back national service.

Life time national service? Because once a recruit has ended their time with the National Service, where will they go next? Do you agree that technological unemployment and machine automation taking over Service jobs pose quite a big problem within society?

this commercial makes me want to jam an ice pick so deep into my brain it's not even funny. there are three things going on here that kill me and i cant decide which is worse.

is that Tony Danza's girlfriend working behind the counter?

Archived