IGNORED

All About Lily Chou Chou

Guest Etch

One of the most extraordinary films I have seen in a long time.

I can't stop thinking about it. It has haunted my mind.

all_about_lily_chou_chou-poster.jpg

Guest lands end road

Just watched this one the other night for like the 20th time. It seems to get better with each watch.

Love the cinematography and colouring of this film too. It's such a shame the cinematographer Noboru Shinoda past away several years ago. I don't know what Shunji Iwai will do without him.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deep Fried Everything

so reading roger ebert's review his criticisms completely make sense

but that's why i'm glad i'm not a movie critic

because this movie was really enthralling

one question:

so there was a brief moment, a scene lasting maybe 30 seconds toward the end of the film, an overhead shot looking down at the ground. it looked like the area of the shot was the base of a telecom tower or something, and a girl was sprawled out on the ground either passed out/unconscious (or dead)? i'm assuming this was kuno after she was raped but the preceding shot was of (the girl who had a crush on yuichi and was whoring for hoshino) meeting up with the guy who liked her on the rooftop per yuichi's instructions) so it was more than a little confusing keeping track of everything happening around the climax...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

it was the prostitute girl who jumped from the tower because she wanted to fly, I believe.

Guest philia

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

the girl that died was tsuda, not kuno. you could tell it was her because of her cellphone strappy stuff was also shown in the shot. the way she died also makes sense in the context of wanting to fly but not being able to (scene with her and the kites (the song that plays during that scene is 'tobenai tsubasa', or 'wings that can't fly'). kuno, being a really strong person, just shaved her head after the rape - to make herself look unappealing i suppose.

the girl that died was tsuda, not kuno. you could tell it was her because of her cellphone strappy stuff was also shown in the shot. the way she died also makes sense in the context of wanting to fly but not being able to (scene with her and the kites (the song that plays during that scene is 'tobenai tsubasa', or 'wings that can't fly'). kuno, being a really strong person, just shaved her head after the rape - to make herself look unappealing i suppose.

RIGHT exactly, that's why i wasn't certain, i remember seeing certain accessories on the person who was lying there and thinking that logically this should be tsuda but she didn't seem at all suicidal in the lead up, hence my hesitation to call it that way. i'm assuming that tsuda didn't appear in any subsequent shots... obviously?

thanks for the insight

Guest elliot

I honestly thought not many people liked this movie, its fucking beautiful makes me feel human watching it

Guest zaphod

whole thing is on youtube:

also, if you're going to purchase it, don't get the us release. the picture is bad and the sound is atrocious. the japanese release is definitely the best, but there are no subs, so you'll have to be able to speak japanese. there's an all region disc from hong kong that's probably the best bet for americans, then the british disc is actually decent. it's a shame this never got the criterion treatment...

Guest Ultravisitor

i've been dithering on this one for a while. but if it really is that amazing, i'm just gonna buy it.

its only £5 on the internet.

Guest Etch

I'm just checked the IDM Ratings Log and 'All about Lilly Chou Chou' got 7/10!

★★★★★★★✩✩✩

This film was 70% IDM.

Archived