IGNORED

'alt-country'

modey

i'm trying to write some 'alt-country'/'country post-rock' and would like to hear some similar stuff before i go and record something that just sounds like a terrible pastiche of the genre. if that makes sense?

basically it all is centered around me buying this new guitar last week:

guitar.jpg

whenever i pick it up i can't help but play sad sounding slow country songs, hahah.

so yes watm, please help me out. i've got no knowledge of this 'alt-country', all i know is the 'real' old country music, heh.

Guest grue

i don't think it counts as alt-country really, but the album Hex, by Earth, is brilliant. you might already know it, but if not it's the sort of thing i would think of when you say "country post-rock"; kind of an amalgam of drone/doom metal and country.

Uncle Tupelo

Screamin Jay Hawkins

Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper

couple of Beck records

The Black Crowes

I dunno start tehre, not all exactly alt country (like screamin jay hawkins is just weird, but he's damn good) but yeah that could give you an idea...

i'm trying to write some 'alt-country'/'country post-rock'

please god don't.

i think we've already established that you and i don't agree when it comes to 'post' and 'rock'.

also, it's not like i'm trying to become some kind of alt country superstar or something, i just like trying out a lot of different styles of music.

Guest zaphod

omg f u squarepusher rocks

*bass slap*

neil young

the meat puppets

the mountain goats

[record shop nerd]are the mountain goats really alt country? Defintely singer/songwriter, but not so much alt really.[/record shop nerd]

Neil Young for sure, but I would have thought that to be obvious.

please god don't.

i think we've already established that you and i don't agree when it comes to 'post' and 'rock'.

also, it's not like i'm trying to become some kind of alt country superstar or something, i just like trying out a lot of different styles of music.

lol...

make what ya love buddy. I don't hold it against you. I just won't listen to what I don't like. This is one of our natural freedoms methinks.

some nice recommendations in this thread so far. i'm really liking m.ward, calexico, and my morning jacket, from the stuff i've listened to. the song(s) i'm working on are a bit darker and slower than most of the stuff mentioned in this thread, but are giving me some ideas as to what kind of percussion i'm going to need, etc.

please god don't.

lol...

make what ya love buddy. I don't hold it against you. I just won't listen to what I don't like. This is one of our natural freedoms methinks.

indeed. of course, in that respect, you didn't really need to enter this thread!

plus, i've got a sweet as fuck country sounding guitar (see above) and a telecaster with a b-bender just dying to be used in a post-country song, zole.

please god don't.

lol...

indeed. of course, in that respect, you didn't really need to enter this thread!

i'm bored

Archived