IGNORED

zazen

one of the things about this movie is that the ATLiens are blue, obv referring to picasso's blue period which quite honestly makes me wanna play guitar and you know what? i'm not going to apologize for that. zaphod can take his dick-sucking opinion about movies and suck its dick.

fred can fuck his deer-hunter stupid ass post your most top 10 drunk wow i peed my butt/tv/threw my control throw my gf's asshole and fuck his ass.

and awepittance can get fucked by the goddamned terrorist conspiracy twin towers, right in his girl ass butt. they'll blow smoke in his ass.

and lol alzado can come on in with his oh so controversial no homo/wait am i really homo threads. yeah, come on over ghey wad.

you know what? encey can come over too b/c he's a closet homo.

and troon, you know what, +1 my dick in your mom's eyeball, ok?

yegg, wow, why don't you post something soooo shocking????

hey abusivegeorge, feel like posting a lol? stupid drunkard.

gues what else? LUDD will post something like totally irreverent and fucking lolarious b/c he doesn't fuck around. oh wait, he does, b/c he's a srupid fuck.

hey kaen, why you break through the drywall surrounding your fucking vagina?

lol

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have to admit here something about the monster looks like very poorly done CGI, super shiney like pre LOTR level monster effects. the avatar for jake looks 100x better than the thing chasing him. i think the footage overall looks fucking amazing but that monster brings it down a little bit

When the monster is at the tree I agree 100%... color is off and its a bit too plastic looking.... however and this is not excusing the CG, but judging from how shitty I thought Christmas Carol looked in trailer/video form and how impressed I was at the same shots when I saw it in 3D... I really don't think the monster will feel as weightless and cheap as it does in the video at times.

Also one other reason I think the monster and jake look weird when they are at the tree is because for the 3D to be effective, the characters can't be too dark against the background. If I had a working editing computer atm, I think I could color correct and add more contrast to this chase sequence and basically wash away the problems I have with it.

The uncanny valley for computer graphics is essentially a lot easier to achieve when you have the depth and weight that 3D provides.

who cares how good the cgi is when you use it in a prefabricated cookie cutter scene anyway.

Didn't you say you don't like the original star wars movies? I really just don't think this movie appeals to you... I throughly enjoyed the scene even though yes I knew the main character was probably going to narrowly escape. You think something revealing like he gets badly hurt or kills the monster is going to be released as a promotional video?

joyrex made a thread for it in this forum (maybe general banter?) i was intrigued by it because it looked like they used video footage of the band and people's faces and used the pixel data to create particle animation clouds that break apart from the normal video. it's always music videos and car commercials that come up with the innovative cgi techniques first it seems

who cares how good the cgi is when you use it in a prefabricated cookie cutter scene anyway.

Didn't you say you don't like the original star wars movies? I really just don't think this movie appeals to you... I throughly enjoyed the scene even though yes I knew the main character was probably going to narrowly escape. You think something revealing like he gets badly hurt or kills the monster is going to be released as a promotional video?

what bugs me is the "oh look i scared big monster no wait maybe he got scared of scary monster behind me oh shit now i must run from scary monster" moment + the water dive as a bonus. can you get any more unoriginal than that?

makes me wonder how the rest of it will be.

I don't get your point about starwars. I don't see how they are similar, avatar doesn't seem to have that "epic" quality to the story.

I'll probably enjoy it (hell, I liked both transformers movies), but all the hype really annoys me for some reason.

what bugs me is the "oh look i scared big monster no wait maybe he got scared of scary monster behind me oh shit now i must run from scary monster" moment + the water dive as a bonus. can you get any more unoriginal than that?

I don't get your point about starwars. I don't see how they are similar, avatar doesn't seem to have that "epic" quality to the story.

I'll probably enjoy it (hell, I liked both transformers movies), but all the hype really annoys me for some reason.

visually I think this looks pretty original considering most science fiction movies contain only dark environments. the monster's design I also find to be pretty unique with a lot of subtle attention to detail. notice the little blue lights on his throat, the green slime from his mouth, the bird like design on his head when he roars...

well cameron has always referenced this as being his "star wars" in many ways. obviously the stories aren't the same, but the general idea of creating an entirely new universe stems from his love for the original lucas films. as far as the quality of the story, well I don't see how you can say that yet considering no one has really seen it yet. the basic premise of star wars isn't really all that epic, "a nobody kid discovers he has great potential and must save the princess from the evil bad guys." what makes it epic is the great cast of characters (vadar, han solo, chewy, etc) the unique detailed universe, and the special effects. as star wars was being filmed, most of the cast and whatnot thought the film was going to be an absolute failure. so clearly its the sum of all the parts that made it good, and has nothing to do with some brilliant "plot" or "storyline."

the reason I am so passionate for this film is that I enjoy Cameron movies and I fucking want hollywood to get out of this grind of absolute bullshit. so many fucking movies based off remakes, sequels, comic books, toys, tv shows, books etc... where the fuck did all the original IP's go for big movies? when was the last time we had a director create an epic from scratch?

Guest abusivegeorge

one of the things about this movie is that the ATLiens are blue, obv referring to picasso's blue period which quite honestly makes me wanna play guitar and you know what? i'm not going to apologize for that. zaphod can take his dick-sucking opinion about movies and suck its dick.

fred can fuck his deer-hunter stupid ass post your most top 10 drunk wow i peed my butt/tv/threw my control throw my gf's asshole and fuck his ass.

and awepittance can get fucked by the goddamned terrorist conspiracy twin towers, right in his girl ass butt. they'll blow smoke in his ass.

and lol alzado can come on in with his oh so controversial no homo/wait am i really homo threads. yeah, come on over ghey wad.

you know what? encey can come over too b/c he's a closet homo.

and troon, you know what, +1 my dick in your mom's eyeball, ok?

yegg, wow, why don't you post something soooo shocking????

hey abusivegeorge, feel like posting a lol? stupid drunkard.

gues what else? LUDD will post something like totally irreverent and fucking lolarious b/c he doesn't fuck around. oh wait, he does, b/c he's a srupid fuck.

hey kaen, why you break through the drywall surrounding your fucking vagina?

LOL

Where is your C dude?

this movie looks stupid. Another of of those "he finally has the technology" movies. Just like the star wars prequesls and weren't those great?!

yeah and just like The Abyss and Terminator 2 right?! Also Lucas isn't Cameron. Lucas got lazy in his years. Instead of understanding a vision he wanted, he hired a fuck load of concept artists to create an array of 3D model concepts so he could put them all in front of him and point and chose his favorites. Cameron is a director who puts his nose in every aspect of the film to get his vision. He's absolutely ruthless when it comes to direction... an example is on the set of Avatar if anyone's cell phone rang during shooting, he would take a nail gun he had and go over to some wall off the set and nail the phone right to the wall. He doesn't fuck around like Lucas who is fat and happy up at his ranch in the mountains.

Here's an extended trailer btw, showing a few new shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXbwNjT-lM

Here's a snippit from a Wired article :

This was work that would never appear onscreen, but Cameron loved it. He brought in more people, hiring an expert in astrophysics, a music professor, and an archaeologist. They calculated Pandora’s atmospheric density and established a tripartite scale structure for the alien music. When one of the experts brought in the Star Wars Encyclopedia, Cameron glanced at it and said, “We’ll do better.”

Eventually, a team of writers and editors compiled all this information into a 350-page manual dubbed Pandorapedia. It documents the science and culture of the imaginary planet, and, as much as anything, it represents the fully realized world Cameron has created. For fans who want to delve deeper, parts of Pandorapedia will be available online this winter.

I am so with you karmakramer, I want this movie to be a success. As I've said before, Cameron is too much of a perfectionist for it to just suck. He's probably the most technically knowledgeable director working today, and he has a better understanding of human emotions than many of his peer group (not saying a whole lot, but when you consider where Lucas, Michael Bay, Ridley Scott etc. are now...)

Having said that, Sigourney Weaver's avatar looks fucking stupid. Something about how close together her eyes are or something...

Guest abusivegeorge

I am so with you karmakramer, I want this movie to be a success. As I've said before, Cameron is too much of a perfectionist for it to just suck. He's probably the most technically knowledgeable director working today, and he has a better understanding of human emotions than many of his peer group (not saying a whole lot, but when you consider where Lucas, Michael Bay, Ridley Scott etc. are now...)

Having said that, Sigourney Weaver's avatar looks fucking stupid. Something about how close together her eyes are or something...

Her Father was an Alien, give her a break.

Haha, she looks like some hippie from woodstock to me... good white teeth though

And to continue to prove how this is Cameron's Star Wars...

SAM WORTHINGTON has agreed to star in two sequels to upcoming sci-fi epic AVATAR - but he fears he'll be an old man by the time the trilogy wraps.

The Australian actor was relatively unknown when he was recruited in 2007 to play a paraplegic ex-soldier in the project which director James Cameron has been planning since 1994.

Worthington admits the shoot was long and exhausting, and he expects he won't finish the next two Avatar movies until his twilight years.

He tells Total Film, "You work 18-hour days. I was on it for 14 months. Jim's (Cameron) still editing. We'll still be filming it up to the day it's released - probably after the movie comes out, knowing Jim! That commitment is what makes him the man he is. It's life or death. It's war. That's how he approaches movies...

"We're signed for a trilogy. But I think I'll be 94 by the time it finishes, to be honest. I know Jim's got some ideas in his big head."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/worthington-signed-up-for-avatar-trilogy_1123691

visually I think this looks pretty original considering most science fiction movies contain only dark environments. the monster's design I also find to be pretty unique with a lot of subtle attention to detail. notice the little blue lights on his throat, the green slime from his mouth, the bird like design on his head when he roars...

well cameron has always referenced this as being his "star wars" in many ways. obviously the stories aren't the same, but the general idea of creating an entirely new universe stems from his love for the original lucas films. as far as the quality of the story, well I don't see how you can say that yet considering no one has really seen it yet. the basic premise of star wars isn't really all that epic, "a nobody kid discovers he has great potential and must save the princess from the evil bad guys." what makes it epic is the great cast of characters (vadar, han solo, chewy, etc) the unique detailed universe, and the special effects. as star wars was being filmed, most of the cast and whatnot thought the film was going to be an absolute failure. so clearly its the sum of all the parts that made it good, and has nothing to do with some brilliant "plot" or "storyline."

what I bolded is what I define as an "epic" story, you know, lord of the ringy type stuff where there's a lot of charismatic characters in some battle of great significance and also some not so clear backstory inside the story. I use epic as a description of form. probably wrong to do so but i don't know the proper term, sorry. so starwars is an epic, avatar doesn't seem to be so.

the reason I am so passionate for this film is that I enjoy Cameron movies and I fucking want hollywood to get out of this grind of absolute bullshit. so many fucking movies based off remakes, sequels, comic books, toys, tv shows, books etc... where the fuck did all the original IP's go for big movies? when was the last time we had a director create an epic from scratch?

Fair point I guess, but man I just finished watching WALL-e on TV. what a great lil' thing.

what I bolded is what I define as an "epic" story, you know, lord of the ringy type stuff where there's a lot of charismatic characters in some battle of great significance and also some not so clear backstory inside the story. I use epic as a description of form. probably wrong to do so but i don't know the proper term, sorry. so starwars is an epic, avatar doesn't seem to be so.

-

Fair point I guess, but man I just finished watching WALL-e on TV. what a great lil' thing.

Perhaps, I mean it could end up sucking story wise... but again its impossible to know before you watch the movie. I've used this movie a lot as an example but it really shocked me how much I enjoyed it... Jim Carrey as Scroog in "A Christmas Carol" looked completely dull and un-interesting in the trailer, but I did a complete 180 once I ya know went to the theater and watched the movie...

Studio produced advertisements are put together to give you a short little mini tale of the basic plot. Every second in it is money they are spending to sell you on something. There's simply no way to tie subtle characteristics... and it is those subtle characteristics that give a cliche character role uniqueness.

Pixar is definitely the exception when it comes to originality in hollywood, and thank god for them. Up was also fantastic.

i have to admit here something about the monster looks like very poorly done CGI, super shiney like pre LOTR level monster effects. the avatar for jake looks 100x better than the thing chasing him. i think the footage overall looks fucking amazing but that monster brings it down a little bit

The mechs and choppers also look very shiny, hence why people like to compared to D9 gritty looks that worked so well and fooled many people including me to not be able to distinguish what was CGI to what wasn't.

The mechs and choppers also look very shiny, hence why people like to compared to D9 gritty looks that worked so well and fooled many people including me to not be able to distinguish what was CGI to what wasn't.

The director of District 9 was very smart to have the movie be filmed like a documentary. I've actually kind of fantasized about what a 3D science fiction film would look like if they used the same technique again but had the budget of Avatar for computer graphics. I think Cameron is going for a handheld style in Avatar to give it a human element, but when you add the grittiness of lo-fi cinematography it hides a lot of the computer generated imperfections, and with the presence of an actual perspective, that reacts and behaves to its surroundings adds even more realism. Basically it would be neat to see Avatar but have someone with Jake document/film his adventures on Pandora. Kind of like Cloverfield, but not as survival horror.

Not saying it would be better than Cameron's more traditional approach, but it would surely be interesting to watch the story from the perspective of a team of scientists/marines landing on an alien planet.

yeah and just like The Abyss and Terminator 2 right?! Also Lucas isn't Cameron. Lucas got lazy in his years. Instead of understanding a vision he wanted, he hired a fuck load of concept artists to create an array of 3D model concepts so he could put them all in front of him and point and chose his favorites. Cameron is a director who puts his nose in every aspect of the film to get his vision. He's absolutely ruthless when it comes to direction... an example is on the set of Avatar if anyone's cell phone rang during shooting, he would take a nail gun he had and go over to some wall off the set and nail the phone right to the wall. He doesn't fuck around like Lucas who is fat and happy up at his ranch in the mountains.

Here's an extended trailer btw, showing a few new shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXbwNjT-lM

Ok, you have a point. Ive just gotten to be anti CGI in my old age. Im all worn out from it. The Abyss was excellent though

Archived