IGNORED

cooking for a vegetarian

Guest iamabe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do vegetarians eat cheese?

i would make a roasted tomato and basil soup. of course i would want fresh grated parmesan cheese with it. do vegetarians mind if you eat cheese if they dont? and then big fuck off grilled portobello mushroom steaks to go with (with some blue cheese crumbled over). and then sauteed spinach in the mushroom juice with garlic, lemon juice, and pepper flakes. or if not spinach then a nice simple arugula salad with a tarragon vinegraite (sp) dressing. and chocolate pot de creme for dessert. then tell her you know fred mcgriff.

vegetarians eat dairy and eggs but not animal flesh, i guess some would eat rennet, etc. , like my dad who just doesn't like flesh of any kind

vegans are the ones who don't eat any animal products at all

properly made cheese uses animal/calf rennet, so isn't suitable for vegetarians

edit: i might be confused about what you're confused about

Guest Iain C
i'm confused how that determines whether or not a vegetarian eats it? because it's totally synthesized and not related to animals?

My basic rule of thumb is, did anything die? So milk's OK, but animal rennet isn't. I'm aware that dairy cows for example don't necessarily live suffering-free lives, but it's a start. I just don't have the dedication for a vegan diet. And I've got an embarrassing habit of wearing second-hand leather.

Risotto is a good idea, and lemon and asparagus is a classic. You could try with roast squash as well. Once roasted keep half cubed, and mash the rest stirring it though the risotto to thicken it. Add chopped fresh sage and some fried crispy sage leaves. you could also try some homemade filled pasta. For pudding go for a really simple and quick nonbaked mascarpone and strawberry cheescake. Use some mashed up amaretti biscuits in the base. You could even go all 80s and marinade the strawberries in balsamic vinegar and caster sugar first.

That's a cool idea -- I never thought of mashing some of the squash to thicken the risotto, instead of letting just the broth thicken it up.

Guest abusivegeorge

Every Vegetarian I have bumped into in England eats fish and dairy products. Every Vegan I have bumped into in England, does not.

Liking some of these ideas, might even try them myself.

Guest Iain C

Going vegetarian was no big deal for me. To be honest with you I've noticed no major difference in my life except I eat less fast food and I'm filled with a sense of immensely smug self-righteousness.

Guest abusivegeorge
Going vegetarian was no big deal for me. To be honest with you I've noticed no major difference in my life except I eat less fast food and I'm filled with a sense of immensely smug self-righteousness.

Apparently, your body goes through some sort of change, and you're supposed to feel really shit, and pretty drained of energy for a few months untill your body adapts.

I have heard thats complete bollocks, lol.

That's a cool idea -- I never thought of mashing some of the squash to thicken the risotto, instead of letting just the broth thicken it up.

It's more a healthy substitute for the cheese/butter/cream that would be added at the end of a more traditional risotto. If you were making a nonvegetarian version you can add pancetta, either added before frying the onions or crispy shreds at the end. Pork + squash + sage is a great combo, it would probably work as tortellini too. There's also a trick borrowed from E Asian cooking of dry roasting a tablespoon of the rice first and then grinding it up to form rice powder. Add at the end of the cooking for a nutty roasted taste.

Guest 277: 930-933
a vegetarian eating fish is delusional. we need a new name for those people.

Vaguetarians?

my favorite salad lately

baby spinach+arugula

pecans

almonds

raisins

1/2 avocado sliced

1/3 orange diced

some kind of goddess dressing

"male ejaculate"

a vegetarian eating fish is delusional. we need a new name for those people.

Vaguetarians?

isn't that pescatarian? ugh, i feel dirty just typing that word

just realised teh meal i just made was vegetarian but very much not vegan

gnocci made with ricotta (no potato, barely any flour), parmigiano and ground up pine nuts (and pepper corns), served with pesto, more parmigiano and pine nuts, walnut oil

so fluffy :omg: but lacking carbs and veg i guess .. might prefer it with a tomato sauce

Archived