IGNORED

sonic youth

Guest zaphod

Guest zaphod

took me about ten years but i finally really love this band. was listening to a thousand leaves when things clicked into place, now i'm going through their discography. i think that album is their strongest, but of course daydream nation is pretty close to perfect and sonic nurse is real good as well. man what a daunting body of work though, if you count all the side projects.

ps: i've never understood the kim gordon hate. "she ruins songs", "her voice sucks", etc. she has a great voice and her songs are some of the best in their catalogue (kissability, cross the breeze, the sprawl, sympathy for the strawberry, turquoise boy).

Guest Iain C

I like Kim Gordon!

A friend of mine gave me an original EVOL vinyl last year because she decided she didn't like Sonic Youth any more!

Guest Chogg

took me about ten years but i finally really love this band. was listening to a thousand leaves when things clicked into place, now i'm going through their discography. i think that album is their strongest, but of course daydream nation is pretty close to perfect and sonic nurse is real good as well. man what a daunting body of work though, if you count all the side projects.

ps: i've never understood the kim gordon hate. "she ruins songs", "her voice sucks", etc. she has a great voice and her songs are some of the best in their catalogue (kissability, cross the breeze, the sprawl, sympathy for the strawberry, turquoise boy).

THANK YOU.

Guest Adjective

i liked some of Rather Ripped and i prefer the feminine voice. i never really knew where to go from there. i had skimmed through other albums of theirs long ago but nothing ever grabbed me.

Yeah I guess A Thousand Leaves is my favourite as well. But I LOVE Murray Street also (Rain on Tin). Don't like the harsher noisy stuff they sometimes make though, and they can be a little self indulgent at times imo, but when they're doing good stuff it's always great!

Only album I could find in this city was A Thousand Leaves so I immediately bought it. First track that I heard from them was on some skateboarding vid, it was called Mote and it was from Goo album, which I spotted in shops here too but it got lost after some time soon. My fav. albums are Dirty, Evol, Made In USA, A Thousand Leaves and Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star from what I heard..

Guest Georges Bataille

1. Daydream Nation

2. Experimental Jet Set

3. Dirty

Also, check out Thurston's solo work with J. Mascis. FUCKING AWESOME

Guest Gardenia

Most people generally overlook A Thousand Leaves, it's cool that one is getting some love here, it's in my top 3 SY Albums along with The Eternal, and Daydream Nation.

And if you haven't checked out The Eternal yet, it's highly recommended!

I'm kind of mystified Sonic Youth, providers of the soundtrack to many a wasted party when I was in high school - in 1990! - are still around and making music, and apparently good music at that. It's like they're an entire band of Keith Richardses, powered by some unseen and unholy energy source.

Guest zaphod

dirty is actually a pretty good album, just listened to it. theresa's sound world is one of their best songs.

A Thousand Leaves is a good'un. I think it was also one of those polarizing records for a lot of SY fans. A lot of people back in the day either hated it or loved it.

Their early stuff for me is the shiznit, untouchable, everything up to Experimental Jet Set, Trash and no Star. After A Thousand Leaves, they kind of started to become more hit and miss for me, but still what a fantastic band.

After you've exhausted their main catalogue, definitely check out the stuff they released on Sonic Youth Records. And then dig back and see if you can find the stuff Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore did with Glenn Branca.

hm, dirty was the album that broke my interest in the band. Even more pop than Goo, I hate Butch Vig's production. But listening to amazon streaming of the albums after dirty has sparked my interest again

Guest Iain C

I'm kind of mystified Sonic Youth, providers of the soundtrack to many a wasted party when I was in high school - in 1990! - are still around and making music, and apparently good music at that. It's like they're an entire band of Keith Richardses, powered by some unseen and unholy energy source.

I think they're running largely on irony - if they're youths, my grandfather hasn't been conceived yet.

Guest zaphod

young at heart

lee renaldo always has the best songs. hoarfrost was the one that made me realize i like sonic youth.

young at heart

lee renaldo always has the best songs. hoarfrost was the one that made me realize i like sonic youth.

i was just listening to the teaser snippet of that and it sounded great. I think I'll get that album, sounds like the best one out of the new lot.

lol at the idea of A Thousand Leaves being considered one of "the new lot". It's 11 years old...

Although I totally get the sentiment you're imparting lumpy...

lol at the idea of A Thousand Leaves being considered one of "the new lot". It's 11 years old...

Although I totally get the sentiment you're imparting lumpy...

i guess the sentiment is *JESUS CHRIST I'M OLD WHAT HAPPENED"

dude you're like the same age as me.

I thought you meant it's one of the ones that came after their grunge-noise phase, and was part of their experimental-noise phase. They wandered away from the 3-4 minute song structure in favour of long meandering deals that don't have as recognizable a structure to them...

but maybe I'm wrong?

Archived