IGNORED

this decade has sucked.

doorjamb

Guest theSun

re 2000s music: all the shit will fall away and in 20 years people will only remember the best. i bet in the 60s there was a lot of terrible shit on the radio too, but those aren't the bands that are still selling albums.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jubes

It is said that what is called the Spirit of an Age is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

is that from ghost dog?

jim jarmusch !

Guest Iain C

Has internet culture impaired your social skills? Go outside, stop multitasking, and try to concentrate on one thing for more than five minutes.

Go fuck yourself.

He meant one thing other than TF2.

Decades don't necessarily start with '0 and end with '9.

In the vernacular, when talking about a time span that is not specific to a person or place, a decade usually refer to a span of ten years that starts on a multiple of 10.

One might say "during his last decade, Henry the 8th was a tosser of gigantic proportions." In this case one would be referring to the specific decade 1538-1547.

Guest Lady kakapo

In the vernacular, when talking about a time span that is not specific to a person or place, a decade usually refer to a span of ten years that starts on a multiple of 10.

One might say "during his last decade, Henry the 8th was a tosser of gigantic proportions." In this case one would be referring to the specific decade 1538-1547.

I don't think that was the point kaka was trying to make, as we were discussing the problems and fallacies of trying to fit cultural, historical and socio-economic shifts into neat understandable frames of time and reference only the other week.

For example, the 60's either started in '59 with the death of Buddy Holly or in '63 with the Beatles first number one. They certainly didn't start in 1960. I think the 70's only lasted about 4 years. Did the 80's start with punk or the miners strike? The 00's started in about '98 and at the moment feel like they're going to last another 20 years and yet the 21st century didn't start until 11/09/01.

And of course decimal is a total kludge anyway. If we'd evolved with 8 fingers instead of ten and used a binary friendly hexadecimal system for most of history, we'd be living on Mars by now.

culturally speaking, (and very generally speaking) decades, seem to me, to run from middle to middle. there is more of a defining aspect about the eras 55-65 / 65-75 / 75-85 / 85-95 etc

therefore whe are poised now halfway through the currnt decade

let's review this thread at the end of 2014

Guest Iain C

I don't think that was the point kaka was trying to make, as we were discussing the problems and fallacies of trying to fit cultural, historical and socio-economic shifts into neat understandable frames of time and reference only the other week.

For example, the 60's either started in '59 with the death of Buddy Holly or in '63 with the Beatles first number one. They certainly didn't start in 1960. I think the 70's only lasted about 4 years. Did the 80's start with punk or the miners strike? The 00's started in about '98 and at the moment feel like they're going to last another 20 years and yet the 21st century didn't start until 11/09/01.

And of course decimal is a total kludge anyway. If we'd evolved with 8 fingers instead of ten and used a binary friendly hexadecimal system for most of history, we'd be living on Mars by now.

I tried to articulate this last night but I was drunk and rambling about the Beatles and Phillip Larkin so I deleted it in an admirable display of self-control!

also... technically we enter a new decade in 5 months or so... but what will it be called.

it seemed to take half a decade for peoople to collectively identify this one as the "noughties"

i wanted the "oh-ohs" (as in the ominous sense) to take off at the beginning but "noughties" had a naughty ring to it

but what's next... the teens??? that sounds awful, and beside they don't even start till 2013

nobody ever describes these two decades from the last century with a collective name, as there simply never was one and we need to come up with something other than the teenies or whatever in the next few months or we will be in the decade that time forgot

Guest Lady kakapo

I tried to articulate this last night but I was drunk and rambling about the Beatles and Phillip Larkin so I deleted it in an admirable display of self-control!

Sexual intercourse began in 1963 (which was rather late for me) -- Between the end of the Chatterley ban and the Beatles first LP

Of course, 1963 it is then, I think we have to defer to Big Phil on this one.

Guest Lady kakapo

also... technically we enter a new decade in 5 months or so... but what will it be called.

it seemed to take half a decade for peoople to collectively identify this one as the "noughties"

i wanted the "oh-ohs" (as in the ominous sense) to take off at the beginning but "noughties" had a naughty ring to it

but what's next... the teens??? that sounds awful, and beside they don't even start till 2013

nobody ever describes these two decades from the last century with a collective name, as there simply never was one and we need to come up with something other than the teenies or whatever in the next few months or we will be in the decade that time forgot

The thing about the 1910s is that they had a lot going on, lots of isms, not least Modernism was in full swing, and teenies really would have sounded rather pathetic and incongruous against the backdrop of this and the Great War. I like the 'Jazz Age' for 1910-1930, even if this is stretching the dates a bit. In contrast 'Teens' sounds appropriate for our next decade. Implies that a collective hormonal strop will be the spirit of the age.

you're referring to specific cultural events.

The 60's certainly started with 1960 - US Troops in Vietnam and the election of JFK. The Greensboro Four. Harold Macmillan makes a famous speech. Certain cultural events can certainly define a decade, but they do not delineate its beginning or end.

Guest Al Hounos

i think the 00's were, as others have said, a necessary transition period... the presidency of W Bush, the war in Iraq, the housing/credit/market collapse, the century-late realization that our actions have an impact on the environment... all these things have set the stage for positive changes in the way we live in the 10's and beyond.

Archived