IGNORED

Impromptu sampling

Siegecow

So i'm sure theres many of us who do a lot of sampling from movies songs or videos they watch/listen to on our computers. The problem is, its a huge pain to launch, arm, record and export your preferred audio recording software every time you come across something worth sampling. As a result, i pass up the opportunity to sample a lot of great stuff and don't think twice about it.

So i'm hoping there's a streamlined application/script/plugin that allows you to to start/stop recording outbound audio with a simple keystroke and automatically exports the audio as a wav after recording stops.

Is there anything like that? Seems like it would be a relatively simple program to make, but what do i know?

get a field recorder.

Already got one, unfortunately 90% of the time its tethered up to my shitty condenser mic so i can use it for video games.

This is pretty much exactly what i'm lookin for! I just wished it worked. I cant get it to record any sound probably because of my asio sound card/drivers thing

this one looks perfect for this kind of situations:

http://www.benedictroffmarsh.com/products/preroll-recorder.php

edit: alright, its a vst so you`ll have to keep a host open...not exactly the best solution

Yeah. not ideal, but it might do in a pinch

I use Wiretap Pro

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

Quick and simple. I can even record to mp3 directly if i want to.

Looks great! But i dont have a mac

Guest binarypulse

I use Audacity. Quick to launch, you just hit record with your soundcard as the input then export.

Presto!

I use Audacity. Quick to launch, you just hit record with your soundcard as the input then export.

Presto!

Ive used audacity and im sick of it, its just as bad, if not worse than using any other audio editing program to record your samples. I want to eliminate as many steps as possible.

and yea ive heard soundflower is good stuff

if you're going to use other people's sound at least you could put some sort of effort into getting it...

why? Is clicking my mouse 5 more times than i need to really enough to justify my using others work? I should have to make myself "suffer" to be worthy of 5 seconds of sound from a youtube video? Fuck that. I'm just trying to make it easier for myself so i'll actually bother to do it when i'm in the middle of doing something else.

i had access to this film sound recorder at my old audio engineering school called the Deva. It had a 5 minute buffer on it that was always continuously recording when it was on. So say if you're walking around or watching a movie where there is a hilarious sample in it. As long as the recorder was on you can go back in time and make it record what you just heard because technically its already BEEN recorded into the buffer. its a great convenient way to do field recording. soundflower is an absolute necessity for the macintosh musician/sample smith.

haha . . i would love to have a deva, but most people aren't going to spend thousands to sample movies!

though you could probably do ok with a zoom (h4n, h2, h4) or a sony pcm-d50 if you're willing to drop 2-500.

would it be that hard to move your existing field recorder over to your speakers to grab something?

actually, i think the problem is that you're lazy

i had access to this film sound recorder at my old audio engineering school called the Deva. It had a 5 minute buffer on it that was always continuously recording when it was on. So say if you're walking around or watching a movie where there is a hilarious sample in it. As long as the recorder was on you can go back in time and make it record what you just heard because technically its already BEEN recorded into the buffer. its a great convenient way to do field recording. soundflower is an absolute necessity for the macintosh musician/sample smith.

Man thats fuckin awesome

haha . . i would love to have a deva, but most people aren't going to spend thousands to sample movies!

though you could probably do ok with a zoom (h4n, h2, h4) or a sony pcm-d50 if you're willing to drop 2-500.

would it be that hard to move your existing field recorder over to your speakers to grab something?

dude. i'm totally lazy. Its not just that i wont just switch my edirol over to record from the speakers.

I have a tape recorder i can just leave on all the time in record mode and as long as i dont switch the mic on it doesnt record anything. And i've got plenty of clean tapes, but recording off of speakers with mics colours the sound and my computer speakers are an acoustical nightmare. I'm all for character in my samples, so this is what i'll stick with for most of the time, but sometimes i just need a quick way to grab small pieces of raw audio from random times throughout the day.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Yeah but it's annoying that I could record directly to cool edit in XP, now in 7 I have to record on my H2 then transfer to my pc then edit it. It's not too much of a pain but it used to be easier, man! Audio Hijack on OS X is probably the best program I've used for this sort of thing - how do I get some GNUster to make a rip off?

Sampling opportunity for someone who isn't lazy

http://www.saynow.com/playMsg.html?ak=QzVkZUZxeW1xeWZLSmVEVmN2ZDVrdz09

Archived