IGNORED

Standalone Software Synthesizers

BCM

post links to like, weird standalone synth apps. i'm ideally looking for mac software, but post all sorts. i particularly want some kind of virtual modular synth thing that makes mad noises and that. strictly no plugins.

safe.

i dunno really - i was playing with that Le Synthe (Synthi clone), just running it on my desktop and getting loads of weird noises and random patterns out of it and I liked it. I liked the fact that I didn't have anything else to use.

I really came up with a lot of stuff just using the NMG2 demo... when I moved out here and didnt have any of mu gear, I would just work on patches in the demo. It's pretty powertful despite its several limitations. And you can save your stuff.

Just use wiretap or something, to record it when you're ready.

AS mentioned, you should certainly get the Nord Modular g2 demo, I use mine all the time. There is no time restriction or bursts of noise, just one note, limited cpu usage, a lil latency, and you can't 'directly' use it with a DAW, but there's ways around that. I Still want a real g2 though. G2 demo for mac

If it was pc i'd recommend above all others- Vaz Modular, but i'm pretty sure it can't run on mac so...

Applied Acoustics - Tassman (awesome)

Native Instruments - Massive (also awesome, not truly modular, but great mod. flexibility)

Native Instruments - FM8 (need i say anything)

Camel Audio - Alchemy (awesome, awesome, awesome, sample mangling champion, but awesome VA, grandular, and additive synthesis)

Arturia - Moog Modular V (i hate to suggest somethign from arturia, as most their products have a way too similar sound to me, but moog modular V is by far their best, and most awesome sounding plug in, esp for stand alone noodling)

I don't know if it runs stand alone or not, but lot's of people are raving about the new - FXpansion - DCAM: Synth Squad

If it ran stand alone (i'm pretty sure it doesn't):

U-he - Zebra (awesome)

u-he - Upcoming unreleased Berlin Modular (their stuff sounds so good!)

of the software mentioned so far, are any of them virtual modular synths? where you can plug things in and patch, like the g2

bidule..

karmafx is another good one and so is psoft void..

of the software mentioned so far, are any of them virtual modular synths? where you can plug things in and patch, like the g2

Moog Modular - yes, Vaz Modular - yes but it isn't via patch chords, there's tabs where you select what is going where, which i like, and Tassman - yes, there's patch chords, synth edit/reaktor style, but you have to "build" your synth in build mode, then play it in tassman player, which is still flexible but you can't do "live" patching so to speak.

Vaz

Screenshot.gif

Tassman Builder:

tassman-builder.png

Tassman Player:

tassman_big.png

Moog Modular V

screen_mmv2.jpg

I will mention that all of these have spectacular sequencers.

Vaz is one of the most underrated synths ever made. It was probably the first software thing i ever used that had convincing 'analog' sounds in it. dont be phased by the lack of patch cables, you pick up the patching skill set fairly quickly. unfortunately its PC only

I'm Bootcamping my Mac this evening so Windows only stuff is not a problem...

get your trusty fl studio installed again. Dunno if you have an official license, but it comes with a version of synthmaker now if you want to play with patch chords.

yeah man, definitely getting FLoops on there! Quite excited about it lol....

bastard thing isn't working :( says it can't partition the disk because some files cannot be moved and i need to reinstall OSX. fuck that.

i've just ran iDefrag - meant to sort it out...

*gives it another go*

i need to check out usine again. I was really turned off by the interface, but admittedly didn't give it much of a chance.

Yeah, when it first came out i thought it was just another one-off incomplete modular audio software project. But its actually been steadily developed and is probably a lot better than you remember. I think there is a pro version now which costs money.

Archived