IGNORED

Popular Electronica

Arc2

So much of what I hear on the radio today is produced completely electronically. There are people just like us making simple, catchy computer music, and marketing it to the right people to make top 40 singles. I hear some of these back tracks and think "wow, technically speaking I could re-create that track, and even make new stuff that sounds like it"

That being said, here is an honest attempt at making commercially viable music. I have no ability to sing, but this song is meant for vocals.

http://508pm.com/audio/demos/bestchords.mp3

This is a work in progress, so any comments suggestions and criticisms are appreciated. :sorcerer:

Who else has attempted to do this?

Guest somebloke

High pitched synths don't really work for (current) pop music, it sounds a little too happy - from the looks of things, people are looking for 'faux edge' these days. More sawtooth always seems to work, along with more 'sub-bass'. You know that really cliched eq. with the smiley face thingy -- more of that.

Lastly, it is very nice to hear a filter sweep at like 1:14 or so - that shit is golden.

This is all really poor criticism, but we are looking for a pretty poor product aren't we?

yeah it's probably way too happy to be a current pop song - also stuff these days tends to be a bit more minimal in terms of production, and more annoying. the chords are great though! would be interesting with vocals.

Hey,

It does not contain the mentioned ingredients what pop music have. Catchy melodies and phrases with indeed vocal work. The typical arrangements with intro, chorus, etc or not here so very highlighted as pop music. So including those mentioned things can make a difference with your attempt. Hey this comments is meant as good, no flame intended. :smile:

Other then that the track sounds good, man!

High pitched synths don't really work for (current) pop music, it sounds a little too happy - from the looks of things, people are looking for 'faux edge' these days. More sawtooth always seems to work, along with more 'sub-bass'. You know that really cliched eq. with the smiley face thingy -- more of that.

Lastly, it is very nice to hear a filter sweep at like 1:14 or so - that shit is golden.

Yeah it could use some more grimy cruch bass. Perhaps I'll switch off between the current bass and this other type.

I think it needs more mid range boost and compression

But I like the idea

I've never been good with EQ. Its probably something I should learn. Could someone please give me a brief explanation of compression, and where is it to be used?

Hey,

It does not contain the mentioned ingredients what pop music have. Catchy melodies and phrases with indeed vocal work. The typical arrangements with intro, chorus, etc or not here so very highlighted as pop music. So including those mentioned things can make a difference with your attempt.

Yeah, I was going for a structured verse-chorus arrangement, but I ended up sticking with the same chords the whole time, just changing the frame they were set in. This is a good point, I should try to stick to the right structure next time.

how is this not a troll thread?

the song is called bestchords for fucks sake

Hahaha, yeah. When I first worked this out on keyboard, I was like 'Wow, these chords are really great'

Thanks all for the kind words and suggestions!

Archived