IGNORED

Warp, "Artificial Intelligence", the machine/human music debate, etc.

jeremymacgregor87

HELLO,

I'm writing up a paper on Warp's "Artificial Intelligence" compilations, the movement away from British rave culture in the early 90s, chill-out music, electronica, "music seeking to provoke thought rather than to nullify it" (love that quote)... that kind of thing

any wattmers out there know of any particular interviews with Steve Beckett or Rob Mitchell around this time, or any articles on this kind of "home-listening" electronic music? I've made a good start on it but I figured you guys always have a shit tonne of helpful information.

cheers pumpkins :pedobear:

I highly recommend getting this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warp-Labels-Unlimited-Rob-Young/dp/1904772323

The first few chapters have exactly what you're looking for !

haha oops, I should've mentioned that I already have this - it is VERY good, but alot of the sources cited aren't included on any of the journals at my uni :sad:

thanks for the quick response though! (on an unrelated note, I couldn't find "Confield" anywhere in theofficial discography at the back of the book :wtf: weird)

Guest ezkerraldean

is there an archive somewhere of shit that was said on the old IDM mailing list? that might have some interesting contemporary thoughts on it

is there an archive somewhere of shit that was said on the old IDM mailing list? that might have some interesting contemporary thoughts on it

You mean this one: http://music.hyperreal.org/

There look like there's quite a lot there, though for some reason by company firewall is blocking a lot of the links so I can't check....

Archived