IGNORED

chromakey dreamcoat / all the flowers

keltoi

has this been discussed before? if so link me up cos i'm interested....

bibio's 'all the flowers' guitar part is the same as in 'chromakey dreamcoat' (although more degraded).

we know boc were into bibio's sound before releasing campfire headphase, but i'm wondering if bibio maybe gave them his guitar part to use, or maybe even played for them on the album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2BT3SBO9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyw-OgwY-GY

Initially, I thought maybe you were right, and that Bibio had just sped up Chromakey Dreamcoat and took out the drums, but the guitar rhythms are different. The chord progression is VERY similar, but All the Flowers has more than notes per chord change. Steve could have lifted the guitar chords, tweaked the melody a little and wrote lyrics; not that it's a bad song, I actually like that track better than others on the same album.

tl;dr version: probably the same chord progression, but slightly rhythmically different.

aye there's more plucking going on in bibio's part but i thought maybe boc had just removed all the top end from the same recording, left it out in the sun and rubbed dog shit on it... giving it a different feeling and rhythm.

i'd be interested to hear from someone with actual guitar knowledge but it seems noone ever comes here.

Guest JimmyBreeze

Bibio: "Nah, they didn't rip me off. I think there might be a nod in there but to be honest my music has been shaped by them more than vice versa, I honestly don't think the tiny portion of bibio-esque guitar in that album warrants it being called a rip off.

When I first heard Chromakey Dreamcoat and heard the wobbly guitar I couldn't believe the cycle that had happened."

taken from his blog about BoC: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=460674273&blogId=506901189

2 artists, already with a connection, use an almost identical guitar part... it sparked my interest as to who's doing the homage.

which is no big deal, but really thanks for your amazing insight.

pretty much .. my insight is not to be underplayed ... but seeing as you care so much keltoi me lad ./.. the BoC cut does sound like the part of bibio arpeggio from the intro .. slowed a touch and greatly pitched down .. a problem with this theory of course is that the secondary notes being plucked and the bass are not apparent in the BoC sample .. of course these could be eq'd out somewhat and you could further mess with the waveform to deaden the unnecessary then add back some reverb to cover the holes ... or perhaps they took it from some part of the song not the intro .. but i'm far too lazy/tired to check that right now ..

in any case .. what i'm saying is that you may have a case .. your suspicion may have merit .. but it requires extra research to verify this ...

happy nao ..;-]

pretty much .. my insight is not to be underplayed ... but seeing as you care so much keltoi me lad ./.. the BoC cut does sound like the part of bibio arpeggio from the intro .. slowed a touch and greatly pitched down .. a problem with this theory of course is that the secondary notes being plucked and the bass are not apparent in the BoC sample .. of course these could be eq'd out somewhat and you could further mess with the waveform to deaden the unnecessary then add back some reverb to cover the holes ... or perhaps they took it from some part of the song not the intro .. but i'm far too lazy/tired to check that right now ..

in any case .. what i'm saying is that you may have a case .. your suspicion may have merit .. but it requires extra research to verify this ...

happy nao ..;-]

yes. thanks for the much less lazy, less cynical reply.

and the addition of an example from modey to back up your earlier flippant claim went down a treat. was all i ever wanted from you.

:heart:

Archived