IGNORED

Prime Numbers Visualized!

chaosmachine

what really infuriates pure mathematicians is that despite the many theories and formulae which spit out primes at varying speeds (computationally speaking), we are incomplete - in the kurt godel sense. in other words we don't know if any theory - or even the sum of all our theories - will spit out every prime. worse again, we don't even know if they won't.

I thought there was a simple formula for defining prime numbers, like doubling a prime and adding one. Or am I thinking of some other formula?

you are thinking about the proof that there are infinite prime numbers

when they introduce you to aleph infinites it's like getting past thethan level 3 in scientology. allegedly.

nah it's cool and all but pretty basic stuff.

Guest margaret thatcher

i quite like the proof of infinite primes though, it's very tidy. if i remember correctly, you assume there are a finite group of primes, you take the sum and add 1, and immediately that number is either a new prime or has a new prime factor. repeat ad infinitum.

24 is the highest number, what the fuck is this shit

i think you'll find that yr post count is the highest number ever discovered..... :emotawesomepm9:

i quite like the proof of infinite primes though, it's very tidy. if i remember correctly, you assume there are a finite group of primes, you take the sum and add 1, and immediately that number is either a new prime or has a new prime factor. repeat ad infinitum.

You need to multiply 'em instead of adding them. This proof owes its tidiness to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic though.

Archived