IGNORED

cluster

modey

1) if anything, it's the OTHER WAY AROUND. Things which preceded other things in (our perceived one-directionally flowing time) cannot "Sound like" the things that came after. The latter things sound like the former. Not vice versa. Don't mean to shout at you, specifically, Modey, this kind of thing just always winds me up irrationally.

2) I have been trying for nearly 20 years to get my head around Autechre and have never succeeded (::hunkers down and awaits the wrath of the moderators coming to throw me off the board::) It's just not for me. I got so excited by the fake leak because I was all "yay, finally some Autechre I actually like!" then was gutted to find out it was some other artist.

lol

1) no shit! i was making a comparison, not suggesting harmonia travelled to the future and ripped off autechre.

2) what have you been listening to? i don't understand how anyone interested in psychedelic electronic music can't hear the mindblowing amount of beauty in even something as simple as amber!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ominous

All these guys make me go into fits of frantic digging to see just how far their direct influence got.

I really like most of the stuff that was produced in Conny Plank's studio like:

Phew - Phew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-FRPgs8Zs

(Moebius Plank Neumeyer) Zero Set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-o1j3ph-2I

Eurhythmics - Sing-Sing

Ultravox - Keep Talking (cassette recording during rehearsal)

Finally, for all those Hollywood fans, Mosca's tribute is great!

Guest Calx Sherbet

okay so what is the best starting point with cluster? album wise. i feel like i'm hooked after hearing this and the eno/cluster stuff.

So basically Modey hit the nail on the head, early Harmonia reminds me a shit load of Amber era AE. Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia blew me away, i've been listening to it on repeat all day.Watussi is ridiculous!

just finished watching that recent kraftwerk documentry dvd which also goes in depth about krautrock (a lot of the same footage and interviews as that recent bbc thing)

cluster is high on my list for the archives as is popul vuh

Guest Masonic Boom

"Reminds me of" is a lot better terminology than "sounds like". Makes more sense.

Start with Zuckerzeit or Sowiesoso as the obvious intro points.

not that i'm aware of.. i think they've mostly been about guitars and acoustic drums. the first album (i think? the one with hallogallo and weissensee on it) is pretty ambient in parts though, if you haven't heard it already!

Guest Masonic Boom

neu is generally all guitars and drums... a few bits of piano and things but not very much like cluster.

The later NEU! stuff, when they started to go their separate ways can get quite spacey and ambient. I'm gonna look it up so I don't mangle my German.

Isi and Seeland and E-Muzik off NEU! 75 start to go quite Harmonia - especially Seeland. Though E-Muzik still has the trademark drums they're quite understated and phased out.

It's not quite Cluster, but you can definitely hear where Rother was going with the Harmonia direction.

neu is generally all guitars and drums... a few bits of piano and things but not very much like cluster.

The later NEU! stuff, when they started to go their separate ways can get quite spacey and ambient. I'm gonna look it up so I don't mangle my German.

Isi and Seeland and E-Muzik off NEU! 75 start to go quite Harmonia - especially Seeland. Though E-Muzik still has the trademark drums they're quite understated and phased out.

It's not quite Cluster, but you can definitely hear where Rother was going with the Harmonia direction.

interesting. i saw the reissue of 'neu! 75' in my local record store, and was wondering if i should buy it or not. those new kraut LP reissues, while amazing, are gonna send me broke!

Guest Masonic Boom

interesting. i saw the reissue of 'neu! 75' in my local record store, and was wondering if i should buy it or not. those new kraut LP reissues, while amazing, are gonna send me broke!

It is probably my favourite, though I'm not sure it's the best starting point as it is basically a couple of Rother solo tracks and a couple of Dinger solo tracks joined together. It doesn't really give you the purest sense of the NEU! aesthetic the way the first album does. But if you're more into Harmonia-y soundscapes than motorik, then it's the one.

Lawd, tho, you kids have it easy with your reissues. When I were a kid getting into Krautrock for the first time, you had to chase down dodgy 2nd generation bootlegs! You start to think that kind of fluff on the needle bad copy of an old LP is part of the aesthetic! ha ha.

It is probably my favourite, though I'm not sure it's the best starting point as it is basically a couple of Rother solo tracks and a couple of Dinger solo tracks joined together. It doesn't really give you the purest sense of the NEU! aesthetic the way the first album does. But if you're more into Harmonia-y soundscapes than motorik, then it's the one.

Lawd, tho, you kids have it easy with your reissues. When I were a kid getting into Krautrock for the first time, you had to chase down dodgy 2nd generation bootlegs! You start to think that kind of fluff on the needle bad copy of an old LP is part of the aesthetic! ha ha.

oh yeah, i love the first album. and i love repetitive motorik beats and droney guitar soundscapes. in fact i'm starting a krautrock band this year!

and re: aesthetic, it's funny you mention that, because with my new stuff, i'm gonna go out of my way to make sure it sounds like it was recorded in the 70s:

http://rooftopaccess.net/audio/pselodux/0x%20optilucian.mp3

i'm almost there, i need an actual synth instead of just using an electric piano though hehe.

Archived