IGNORED

Your favorite electronic & synth film scores

awepittance

I am trying to make a timeline of some of the more important milestones in electronic film scores and i was hoping WATMM could help me. I cut it off at 1983 because i feel this is a distinct year in which electronic music was starting to be heavily appropriated by the mainstream and distilled into more crappy forms than before

here are some of my favorites

the Day the Earth Stood Still

Assault on Precinct 13

Andromeda Strain

Tron

Logan's Run

Bladerunner

the score can have orchestral and other instruments besides synth, but id like to see some more synth or electronic heavy stuff in the thread.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Forbidden Planet' was a pretty good attempt, i get the feeling you may of missed it out for some reason?

is that a pretty theremin centric score? thats one old sci fi film i haven't gotten around to watching, but i am tempted to so i can see LEslie Neilsin with non grey hair

Solyaris (1972)

i have not seen this either

Guest David R James

'Forbidden Planet' was a pretty good attempt, i get the feeling you may of missed it out for some reason?

is that a pretty theremin centric score? thats one old sci fi film i haven't gotten around to watching, but i am tempted to so i can see LEslie Neilsin with non grey hair

Solyaris (1972)

Louis and Bebe Barron scored it. it really is an excellent piece of work. A must see.

loads of horror soundtracks like

goblin - tenabre/Contamination etc...

fabio frizzi's fulci scores

Nico Fidenco - emanuelle an the last cannibals

stelvio ciprani's nightmare city theme

carpenter's halloween/escape from ny/assault on precinct 13

Moroder - Cat People/midnight express

thats very nice,

so if Delia Derbyshire was the first person to put a synthesizer score to a tv show , what were some that immediately followed? or just other stuff that came out before 1970 featuring synth heavy scores

Guest David R James

The tv series 'Quatermass and the Pit' was scored by the radiophonic workshop before doctor who, well not scored but the sound was done by them. Also you had 'The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy', that was later.

Solyaris (1972)

Solaris is a good 2001-Space-Odyssey-esque sci-fi film, bit excessive in long shots though, as are a lot of Russian films I've viewed. The music is pretty minimal, lot of drone, and it was recorded on an ancient Soviet synth (ANS_synthesizer) which alone is interesting. I haven't seen the 2002 remake with clooney (nor heard it's electronic OST)

Forbidden planet is pretty impressive and notable because it does NOT use a theremin. And it's a very impressive, non-cheesy 50's sci-fi movie. Instead a very early ring modulator was used, one that preceeded Dr. Who, Buchla, and Stockhausen by years.

RDJ himself mentioned the film in that BBC Radio 3 show he was interviewed on, which flew over the heads of the interviewers.

Archived