IGNORED

Getting Really Depressed When People Who Just Started Making Music Get Famous

Guest we_kill_soapscum

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not famous, but what annoys me is the old guard of intelligent dancing musical forumites not giving you enough credit for what you do because they remember you as the punkass breakcore kid who was playing with teenage mutant ninja turtles in 1996. maybe it's that kind of complex coming through; like once patted on the head, always slapped on the back. someone made a 'shit me, idiron's music is awesome' thread and the elders muttered 'indeed, it is' into their pints. DADDY, WHY CAN'T YOU LOVE ME?

at least i (famous) remixed your track and made you (even more famous) :trashbear:

no chris, you are a cruel sheriff who rode my talent when i was a calf. you exploited my wide-eyed naivete with tales of having ceephax round for tea and made me do bad things like WTFJIMMYRECORDS.

lol

Guest margaret thatcher

WTFJIMMYRECORDS

oh good lord i remember that. i had a track on yr valentines ep thingy if i remember correctly. "i think i'm alone now". mostly me and a mate sitting on a keyboard, and slightly overdriven drums...

WTFJIMMYRECORDS

oh good lord i remember that. i had a track on yr valentines ep thingy if i remember correctly. "i think i'm alone now". mostly me and a mate sitting on a keyboard, and slightly overdriven drums...

geehehehe, good times! were you dj wankfoot? and do you still have it? i dont have any of it anymore... i wanna share "elaborate ploys to get in your pants" with my gf

my point is that some people become famous quickly because they are immensely talented.

Err, Bach was dead before he became famous.

i would think that being able to send your works to the King of Poland, and working in the court of the King of Prussia makes you fairly famous.

i.e.:to be famous does not require the majority of the world to love your works, not even by a longshot.

Guest margaret thatcher

WTFJIMMYRECORDS

geehehehe, good times! were you dj wankfoot? and do you still have it? i dont have any of it anymore... i wanna share "elaborate ploys to get in your pants" with my gf

yeah i'm dj wankfoot, the one and only.

and no, i don't have it, it's on my old pc, which is in lock n store just outside of leamington spa....which is annoying....

. In my case, I never seem to consider unsigned music.

you're shutting yourself out from quite a lot of good music this way,

I always thought that a more efficient way to spread your sound is being heard of from a reputable source, like Boomkat/Bleep/Pitchfork, or get signed to a respected label.

it's not easy to get on boomkat, bleep or pitchfork, even if your music is great. Why rely on tastemakers to hand you music on a silver platter to listen to ?

it seems odd to me to discount music because it's 'unsigned', all music, even the greatest was unsigned at some point.

When people say this it's almost as if they are taking their own brain out of the equation and relying on other people's brains to make the decisions for them on what type of music they should listen to.

if you have a problem with the sound quality on myspace check out soundcloud, plenty of unsigned artists making great music on there that sounds cd quality

Isn't self promotion a sure way to not gain popularity?

wtf! i didn't notice this part of your post, well either your post was sarcastic or you don't know anyone who has risen to success musically. A lot of the artists you may not think are doing 'self promotion' indeed are but just in clever ways ie: using friends and connections to do the pushing for them.

Guest Enter a new display name

I am not a musician, so I ignore a lot of things. :facepalm: I simply had a misconception of self promotion, like that last.fm example I said.

im curious why you would have such a disparaging view of unsigned music that is self promotional (not overboard but in the normal scheme of things)

this either tells me you are completely unaware of musical politics and may not know any musicians who are trying ot make a career for themselves.but i very much want to hear an explanation for this mindset, im sure many people share your view. There are definitely ways to go overboard with self promoting, im just talking about the average joe with a myspace page.

im curious why you would have such a disparaging view of unsigned music that is self promotional (not overboard but in the normal scheme of things)

this either tells me you are completely unaware of musical politics and may not know any musicians who are trying ot make a career for themselves.but i very much want to hear an explanation for this mindset, im sure many people share your view. There are definitely ways to go overboard with self promoting, im just talking about the average joe with a myspace page.

I must simply have high expectations, that's to say I would rather listen to an artist who has reached a certain level of achievement (getting signed, being critically acclaimed, releasing music in physical format, etc.) rather than listening to music made by people who promote their material in a homemade way. There is so much music released these days, I can't listen to whoever makes an album. I understand you must find my conception of unsigned music totally stupid, that must simply be how my listening habits have always been. In your case, I am aware you are a musician, and also a label owner who constantly looks for unknown talents. Nevertheless, I give some WATMMers a listen sometimes when I actually know them or when there is a compilation out.

I keep thinking of this like politics, specifically american. You can look at the smaller political parties like green and constitutional party as political parties that have not "reached a certain level of achievement" but on the other hand the people who have would be the democratic and republican party. Not necessarily the greatest parties with the best ideas but they definitely have the most power, influence and clout. Out of the blue a rich investor could decide he wants to turn the green party into an important player, overnight the party could become extremely relevant with the right amount of capital.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

i only listen to an artist if they physically pay me to download their record from what.cd in cash and include a written account of why their music is groundbreaking written in the third-person music PR onesheet format.

i only listen to an artist if they physically pay me to download their record from what.cd in cash and include a written account of why their music is groundbreaking written in the third-person music PR onesheet format.

av-102.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOL

Archived