IGNORED

Is it bad to take up religion...

Guest Conor74

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whenever i see an in-n-out burger i can't help but imagine some guy

eating a huge burger and then immediately running to the bathroom to take a big crap

innout100x100.jpg

proof of god right there, folks.

It's only Ialdabaoth.

OP: it's not bad if that would make you happy! (it's not bad if it makes you sad either imo. just more fun if it makes you happy.)

Guest EDGEY

I don't know about bad, but it's certainly beside the point.

It doesn't bother me if people are religious or not. It does annoy me that people are now concluding that those with faith are stupid. I just know very bright people with very strong faith and I hate seeing some kids pumped full of Dawkins sneering at it. Whatever happened to live and let live, and if your neighbour believes babbling prayers does them good, let them at it?

Live and let live was fine til they started blowing up buildings... :trashbear:

Guest EDGEY

they?

Zealots. ...of any denomination. Blowing up buildings is the most recent nonsense. We can discuss the crusades too.

Religion... :trashbear:

Guest theSun

they?

Zealots. ...of any denomination. Blowing up buildings is the most recent nonsense. We can discuss the crusades too.

Religion... :trashbear:

oh ok, i thought you implying a specific group of people.

your post initially read like bill o'reilly

Guest uptowndevil

religion is entirely personal, i don't see why it can't be left as such. my grandmother is almost 90 and alone. all she has at this point is god and television. i would certainly never deny her of that, regardless of my beliefs. the only time religion becomes a problem in my opinion is when its practices and beliefs start affecting other people negatively. go ahead and knock on my door to hand me a booklet, but don't tell me i'm going to hell if i don't believe what you want me to. /rant

Guest ezkerraldean

no ..but thats where my user name is from as well as a bit of my lineage.

but you're american lol

Astrotheology

"The Divine Father would never leave us at the mercy of this world of darkness. His Heavenly promise concerning his Sun was surely that...'He would come again'...to light our path, and save those lost in the darkness ... and He still does...every morning about 5:30 am."

the whole religion is good/evil debate drives me nuts.

Surely people mean those in control of an unnecessary amount of power in the church rather than religion itself....

I am friends with a ton of atheists, and from personal experience, they by and large take any opportunity they can (at least within a social setting) to espouse their beliefs, often with a very condescending intellectualism....they might be right sure, but they aren't content with knowing the "answer" themselves, rather than berating random Christians who, before the argument were getting along just fine with each other.

Im honestly convinced now, just shut the fuck up and keep it to yourself....I have spent so so long arguing tenets of just about any and all religions/beliefs and even atheism often, but I get fed up. It is completely ridiculous to try to convince someone that their faith or lack thereof is inherently flawed.

It's like when someone walks into an NRA meeting and impatiently waits for the moment when they can declare themselves a communist...you aren't looking for healthy debate or discussion, you are looking for a fight.

PS Christians and all others do this too, I just think atheists conveniently use the "every one wants to kill atheists because they are stupid" to cover up their unnecessarily confrontational and reactionary positions.

Surely people mean those in control of an unnecessary amount of power in the church rather than religion itself....

I am friends with a ton of atheists, and from personal experience, they by and large take any opportunity they can (at least within a social setting) to espouse their beliefs, often with a very condescending intellectualism....they might be right sure, but they aren't content with knowing the "answer" themselves, rather than berating random Christians who, before the argument were getting along just fine with each other.

Im honestly convinced now, just shut the fuck up and keep it to yourself....I have spent so so long arguing tenets of just about any and all religions/beliefs and even atheism often, but I get fed up. It is completely ridiculous to try to convince someone that their faith or lack thereof is inherently flawed.

It's like when someone walks into an NRA meeting and impatiently waits for the moment when they can declare themselves a communist...you aren't looking for healthy debate or discussion, you are looking for a fight.

PS Christians and all others do this too, I just think atheists conveniently use the "every one wants to kill atheists because they are stupid" to cover up their unnecessarily confrontational and reactionary positions.

ah, i agree 100% with you. the problem (for me at least) is that a majority of christians and other religious people will quote scripture and use it to justify their actions or use it instead of logic. it goes beyond spirituality and runs their daily life. that stuff just pisses me off. i have an american government class now and it's widely known that my teacher is a born-again christian. i totally don't have an issue with it. she's a nice lady, if a bit out there (she says women who are victims of rape and incest shouldn't be allowed to have abortions because "you shouldn't kill a baby just because you don't like the way it was made" lol, ok?). but when she starts talking about sodom and gomorrah in class, my eyes roll out of my sockets and i want to die. can people just, you know, shut up and leave that at home? i'm sick of having the bible shoved down my throat.

ah, i agree 100% with you. the problem (for me at least) is that a majority of christians and other religious people will quote scripture and use it to justify their actions or use it instead of logic. it goes beyond spirituality and runs their daily life. that stuff just pisses me off. i have an american government class now and it's widely known that my teacher is a born-again christian. i totally don't have an issue with it. she's a nice lady, if a bit out there (she says women who are victims of rape and incest shouldn't be allowed to have abortions because "you shouldn't kill a baby just because you don't like the way it was made" lol, ok?). but when she starts talking about sodom and gomorrah in class, my eyes roll out of my sockets and i want to die. can people just, you know, shut up and leave that at home? i'm sick of having the bible shoved down my throat.

This is also how I feel. I'm happy to let anyone believe or not believe whatever they wish, I just don't want scripture forced down my throat, or worse, directly shaping legal rules. These are the only times I speak up. In the latter case, I'd pretty much be willing to fight to the death, mind.

i couldn't agree with you more....oddly enough I don't see as much of that around here as from the other end of the spectrum. but yeah, people really should keep religion to themselves.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

q: is it bad to take up religion?

a: yes.

edit: fuck you I'm not explaining my edit.

All of the Atheists I've run into have been wonderful people. They've never dissed me for being Agnostic, and they never flaunt their religion. Most of the Christians I've run into act like I'm stupid for not going to church, and several who I've small-talked to at college just stop talking to me when they find out.

And I'm not flaunting my Agnosticism, people around here (Southern Minnesota) seem to be really interested in what church someone goes to, and simply ask me in small talk.

Archived