IGNORED

ATTN: Wire & Generation Kill junkies

awepittance

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Treme has definitely had some more really cheesy moments already, the fucking chinese guy arguing with bateste about brass players reminded me of heroes or something, still think its a good show but no where near the flawless realistic nature of the wire

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

i finally got around to watching all of the wire a few months ago and just dont think i can handle treme one week at a time.

I'm rewatching the wire now...I stand by my defense of the 2nd season, some don't like it because of the shift in focus to the docks, but I think it's great - has some of the best moments (Omar's court appearance,D'Angelo's prison decline and Stringer's increasing amorality) and a very satisfying arc overall.

Guest disparaissant

Season 2 is great. Spoilers!

I thought the characterization was some of the best in the series, especially Ziggy. Good God, I hated Ziggy so, so much. Right up until the point when he snapped, his confession that he was sick of being the punchline to every joke was just urk. I still hated him, but it made me sympathetic. Probably one of the greatest character turnaround moments ever. COLLEGE KIDS AINT SHIT! And yeah, Omar's court appearance was amazing. Plus I really liked Beadie as a character, glad things turned out well for her in the end.

treme dosnt really stand out as being any good imo of knowing nothing about it. i just think it cant be better or on par with the wire or generation kill

wire S2 when they sent the cop van around the world was a lol to me,

hold on, I forgot Brother Mouzone was in season 2. Least favorite character ever, every line of dialogue makes me wince. Who thought it would be a good idea to make a Nation of Islam caricature hit-man? He's a cartoon character, doesn't belong at all.

Guest disparaissant

hold on, I forgot Brother Mouzone was in season 2. Least favorite character ever, every line of dialogue makes me wince. Who thought it would be a good idea to make a Nation of Islam caricature hit-man? He's a cartoon character, doesn't belong at all.

he was literally my only problem with that show. literally.

Guest disparaissant

His helper kinda, just kinda makes up for him, specially that scene with Rawls in the gay bar lol.

haha, true. also, regardless of him being a cartoonish stereotype

him and omar blasting the shit out of stringer was just ridiculously cathartic

hm, regarding your last spoiler,

it wasn't cathartic for me, I think Idris Elba is a fine actor and a really magnetic presence, and I thought the series lost a bit of "oomph" after he died. Though Marlo was pretty good, he didn't quite get to the same level. I thought Muzone and Omar teaming up to take out Stringer was unbelievable and not the ending I'd hoped for that character. I really liked that he got out of his depth with the political "game", a different kind of game than he was used to. And maybe it was fitting that the "street" caught up with him...but I just wish I could erase brother Muzone from the whole thing. An Omar-Stringer showdown would have had more punch, I think.

I loved the ending for Marlo's character, when he gets jumped by the next-generation shorty and has that "moment of clarity." I wish they could have thought up something more creative for Stringer, and I sort of wish they could have continued to develop his story over all 5 seasons, but that's mostly due to how much I like Elba as an actor. I think he could have been the "Tony Soprano" for the Wire, they just chose not to take it in that direction.

Guest disparaissant

yeah i guess i see where you're coming from, but by that point, stringer just had it coming. he had to go, otherwise i don't even know. i like idris elba too, but his character had kind of run its course and then some. and to be honest, i thought marlo was an even better antagonist. that whole "my name is my name" scene is just chilling. but hey opinions is opinions. and yes, omar and stringer alone might have been a bit better, but the bygones-be-bygones nature of him and muzone teaming up had a pretty good impact imo.

i would agree with lumpenprol's assessment of this character if it were NOT for the bonus added scene of him asking the guy to buy him copies of New Republic, the Nation and Harpers magazine.

lol, I rolled my eyes when he asked for the Nation, I think David Simon's hand was just a tad too visible there

I just read that Idris Elba is English, crazy. Always impressed with how well English actors are able to submerge their accents...

Guest disparaissant

lol, I rolled my eyes when he asked for the Nation, I think David Simon's hand was just a tad too visible there

I just read that Idris Elba is English, crazy. Always impressed with how well English actors are able to submerge their accents...

i actually knew that beforehand, though he was amazing. did you know dominic west (mcnulty) is english too? and not just english, he's fairly posh-english as well. i was blown away seeing him interviewed by jonathon ross.

had no idea! Kind of funny that for all the show's Baltimore-centric-ness they would go so far and wide for actors...that makes me like Dominic West more, as I always felt he was one of the weaker links in the group, though it wasn't entirely his fault - the part is kind of underdeveloped/2 dimensional. He's introduced as the maverick cop whom everyone is supposed to hate for never playing by the rules, yet apart from one act of bypassing his superior to talk to the judge he doesn't seem to deserve his reputation (until the end of the series). Kind of felt like they never quite figured out what they wanted to do with him. Or maybe they realized once they started that he was a bit too lightweight as an actor to center the show around, don't know.

Guest analogue wings

Season 2 is great. Spoilers!

I thought the characterization was some of the best in the series, especially Ziggy. Good God, I hated Ziggy so, so much. Right up until the point when he snapped, his confession that he was sick of being the punchline to every joke was just urk. I still hated him, but it made me sympathetic. Probably one of the greatest character turnaround moments ever. COLLEGE KIDS AINT SHIT! And yeah, Omar's court appearance was amazing. Plus I really liked Beadie as a character, glad things turned out well for her in the end.

Unfortunately Treme has a Ziggy.

Fortunately, whenever he's on I think about what happened to Ziggy and I feel better.

My fave thing about Treme so far - "Starring Bunk As Bunk" lolz

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I love Treme but it doesn't make me go omgz I need to watch the next episode like The Wire, no sir

How many times has an north american actor nailed the shit out of an english accent in a show if ever?

Guest analogue wings

You really can't tell who the Ziggy is? There's no character to whom you would apply the description "whinny annoying self righteous fuckup"?

Archived