IGNORED

Boardwalk Empire

chenGOD

And comparisons to Sopranos have always irritated me. Sopranos is a classic, a modern cultural phenom. A masterpiece, even. It was enough having people say "The Wire is way better than Sopranos." But the Wire was a great show, and in retrospect that's OK. Boardwalk though, I don't think it's even a fair comparison for Boardwalk. Boardwalk has more in common with Deadwood, second rate but it has a higher budget and overall better direction.

IDK, comparisons to Sopranos are just bullshit. It's like comparing Tom Waits to the Beatles.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the show feels too generic mobster for me, especially compared to the other prohibition era mobster things i've seen. Even the Untouchables feels far more visceral than this show, and of course Millers Crossing absolutely obliterates it.

Yeah it's weird how when you attempt to portray real life, it doesn't match up to Hollywood movies.

• 3 weeks later...

let me paraphrase data:

"holy fucking shit"

"fucking awkward"

You kind of saw it coming though, there had also been some weird tension between Jimmy and his mom. I truly think she's going to be a psychopath. I thought for a minute Jimmy was gonna tell his boy about his mom dying. Was Jimmy snorting heroin?

Van Alden what the fuck. Does he go "on the lam"? hook up with the fucking patsy Micky Doyle? Leave the au pair with the daughter?

also who do?

Paz de la Huerta (which is Spanish for "duck face")

pazheader-1-thumb-500xauto-35636-490x612.jpg

or

Gretchen Mol (I'm no linguist, but I think that's Swedish for "Hello my breasts are lovely"

936full-gretchen-mol.jpg

Gretchen Mol is fucking gorgeous

I don't blame Jimmy for hittin that when drunk. JK.....or am I?

Anyway, yes, completely fucked up episode and probably the best in the series so far.

Part of me wanted him to choke out his mom so bad...goddamn Id have a hard time not going through with it if some icy bitch casually disregarded my wife.

the show feels too generic mobster for me, especially compared to the other prohibition era mobster things i've seen. Even the Untouchables feels far more visceral than this show, and of course Millers Crossing absolutely obliterates it.

Yeah it's weird how when you attempt to portray real life, it doesn't match up to Hollywood movies.

how are they attempting to portray real-life anymore than those hollywood movies i just listed? if you are claiming that somehow Boardwalk empire is historically accurate i must vehemently disagree. At least those movies didn't have tokenistic anachronistic black characters in it, unless im forgetting Untouchables

one thing i do have trouble with is this show seems more detatched than when it was in the first season...im not quite sure i know where all of this is going...unless the idea is that s2 is the "soul-searching, really figure out my shit" season to build up on a spectacular s3.

how are they attempting to portray real-life anymore than those hollywood movies i just listed? if you are claiming that somehow Boardwalk empire is historically accurate i must vehemently disagree. At least those movies didn't have tokenistic anachronistic black characters in it, unless im forgetting Untouchables

Because real life is not a bunch of shoot it up gangster scenes. Politicking is boring. Violence is short and sharp, not drawn out epic gun battles. That's how this is more closely resembling real life.

Also Boardwalk Empire is certainly more historically accurate than The Untouchables or Miller's Crossing (which was a pure fiction to begin with). It takes liberties of course, but there is a lot of authenticity to the show as well. I don't know why you would call the black characters anachronistic.

Show is set in 1920s yes? Chalk looks to be about 30 years old. Probably came up to AC from the south with his parents to escape shitty (well, shittier) conditions. It's not that long after the civil war...

the scene in the kitchen with the black folks also seemed kind of Spielbergian anachronistic, i mean i understand what they are showing but to me it's the same kind of subtle anachronism that was displayed in the John Adams HBO miniseries where seemingly the founding fathers all thought slavery was morally reprehensible but kept slaves anyways.

Guest analogue wings

yeah i got a bit of this vibe off it

dr_quinn_medicine_woman-show.jpg

this weird white guilt thing where you cant portray a historical inequality accurately in case people think you're OKAY WITH IT or some shit

the scene in the kitchen with the black folks also seemed kind of Spielbergian anachronistic, i mean i understand what they are showing but to me it's the same kind of subtle anachronism that was displayed in the John Adams HBO miniseries where seemingly the founding fathers all thought slavery was morally reprehensible but kept slaves anyways.

lol dont get me started on the Adams miniseries.

depends on what founding father you speak of in particular...Jefferson was quite strange/hard to pin-down...he certainly thought blacks were naturally inferior to whites, but that slavery was a necessary evil to relegate the black "inclination to self-harm".....though his opinion starts to slowly change up towards his death...very interesting guy.

yeah i got a bit of this vibe off it

dr_quinn_medicine_woman-show.jpg

this weird white guilt thing where you cant portray a historical inequality accurately in case people think you're OKAY WITH IT or some shit

again, i get what you are saying, but part of me after having studied this shit for so long sees it as a "white confusion" rather than white guilt. It really isn't as clear-cut as people might think regarding the legality/moral right of slavery, even when it was a huge practice....one of the first American abolitionists was a former slave owner from South Carolina!

Guest analogue wings

Are you trying to say that black people didn't organize themselves in labour strikes? You'd be wrong.

Im sure that was happening in the US at that time, but was it happening often enough to wander past our little fixed window onto one particular town? Also who tf are those characters?

Chalky is believable though - Nucky is a boss, and his two facedness with Chalky seems totally in line with what I've read on bossism

Uh yeah - Atlantic City isn't some hick town in the middle of nowhere. The number of blacks working in hotels/service industry in AC was huge.

http://slic.njstatelib.org/slic_files/imported/NJ_Information/Digital_Collections/Afro-Americans/AFAMG.pdf

http://www.thenorthsidebook.com/read-plantation-by-the-sea/ (by the same historian who wrote Boardwalk Empire)

Archived