IGNORED

Mika Vainio

Swerm

Just wondering about Mika Vainio after listening to his collaboration with Sean Booth, and having Kesto by Pan Sonic. I've looked him up but I'm not sure what to listen to. Not too into Kesto, but something about this guy interests me. How do you rate him, n what's best?

I just got into Kesto last month and it was actually the perfect entry point for Vainio's stuff, for me. Call me weird but it doesn't seem like 4 CDs long.

Gave tulkinta a listen, very nice. It's very minimalistic but it's quite playful and funky which I didn't really expect after listening to Kesto. I had no idea about his "0" alias. Right up me street this stuff is.

Still not feeling Kesto too much...I don't know.

Guest Apeofnaples

I'm trying to get into him at the minute. I'm starting with Black Telephone of Matter, which maybe the wrong album to start with as it's completely off it's fucking head. There's a crow in there I think, maybe it's outside...

Guest Gardenia

I've spent the last 3 or 4 months finding all of Vainio's solo releases. Many of them are quite amazing and have opened my mind towards noise, but there is not really a good place to start with his solo work because he jumps around stylistically. Pan Sonic contains his more straightforward material, so if you didn't like Kesto there is a good chance you won't like his solo material...it's like a less accessible & experimental version of PS. Each release almost covers a completely different style of abstract tones. There are cds that are just calculated, meditative metallic buzzes and clicks (Kajo, Onko) to completely off it's head sound collages (Black Telephone of Matter) to aggressive noise techno (Vandal).

My personal favorite is "Revitty". There is a 17 minute piece on that cd called 'Raatelu' that is an extremely powerful harsh noise excursion, though it wouldn't sound out of place on Kesto, so that may not be what you are into.

I enjoy the first disc of Kesto a lot actually, but the second disc sort of feels like more of the same. After that I can't bear to listen to any more, cos its so overbearing.

Guest Gardenia

I always thought this was an audio rip of the Pan Sonic ATAK dvd performance: http://www.discogs.com/Pan-Sonic--Keiichiro-Shibuya--Goem--Evala--Keiji-Haino-Live-DVD-Atak-Night-3/release/1097162

Apparently this is something altogether different. Any idea of a site in English that has this available? I would gladly pay for it if I could figure out how to do so.

I like his louder noiser stuff, so for me Torn is Mika Vainio at his best. Its got great artwork as well.

sharks.gif

I also really liked Mika's latest release on Raster-Noton, Time Examined. When I heard The Human Fly I had to double check and see if I was still listening to Time Examined. Sounded alot like Tim Hecker and Fennesz. I think this particular track was made for a documentary about a Base Jumper. Also, the track Berns is one of the best things Mika has done imo.

There's this other VA with Pita and Charlemagne Palestine called Three Compositions For Machines. Excellent 10 min track by Vainio on it.. using sounds I haven't heard him use anywhere else. The Pita track on this is brilliant as well.

I've spent the last 3 or 4 months finding all of Vainio's solo releases.

do you have that rare japanese/digital only release ?

http://www.commmonsmart.com/detail/Goods394.html

What's this sound like? I can't listen from the site for some reason.

Pretty minimal & pretty good. its a weird release, i've googled it only saw it on japanese sites. i need to check the latest one on Raster noton !

I like his louder noiser stuff, so for me Torn is Mika Vainio at his best. Its got great artwork as well.

sharks.gif

I also really liked Mika's latest release on Raster-Noton, Time Examined. When I heard The Human Fly I had to double check and see if I was still listening to Time Examined. Sounded alot like Tim Hecker and Fennesz. I think this particular track was made for a documentary about a Base Jumper. Also, the track Berns is one of the best things Mika has done imo.

There's this other VA with Pita and Charlemagne Palestine called Three Compositions For Machines. Excellent 10 min track by Vainio on it.. using sounds I haven't heard him use anywhere else. The Pita track on this is brilliant as well.

Did you get the book with Time Examined?? Pretty interesting idea, I wish Autechre would do something like that.

Archived