IGNORED

the Dilla sound?

Alzado

is it just me, or are the number of Dilla references/comparisons getting a little out of hand every time a new hip-hop production comes out?

I've seen so many comments that an album or artist is "Dilla-esque" or "post-Dilla" that I don't really understand what it means anymore. If I had to describe Dilla's sound, it would be the use of recognizable samples (not going out of his way to obscure them) juxtaposed with some really extreme sample like a siren or something (think Gobstoppers).

Maybe I'm wrong. but every album that has beats and samples now is being compared to Dilla. Dilla was great, but he certainly wasn't the first or the only producer to use beats and samples as the main elements of his tracks.

So what do all these comparisons mean then?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blicero
If I had to describe Dilla's sound, it would be the use of recognizable samples (not going out of his way to obscure them) juxtaposed with some really extreme sample like a siren or something (think Gobstoppers).

i guess that might be close if you've only ever heard Donuts. But since that is really the only album that applies to that description, i'd say you're a bit off.

Like your comparison between La Fine Equipe and J Dilla?

LOL pwn!

actual dilla sound:

[youtubehd]ceJJpuREXm0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]0a9_O1M4slA[/youtubehd]

a bunch of classics here:

[youtubehd]0bFEVeqdSTM[/youtubehd]

Do any of those sound like your description?

Guest Greg Reason

i guess that might be close if you've only ever heard Donuts. But since that is really the only album that applies to that description, i'd say you're a bit off.

Guest Enter a new display name

actual dilla sound:

[youtubehd]ceJJpuREXm0[/youtubehd]

This is tight as fuck. I never heard of Slum Village until now.

I'm going to throw out "Adult Swim bumper music" as an alternative. As mentioned earlier, most people bringing up Dilla are referring to his very late era solo beats. It'd be like everyone comparing any IDM to "Aphex Twin" instead of a specific album.

Pretty much what everyone here is saying. If you listen to any pre-2003 beats from Dilla, you'll see why a lot of people compare all of the Los Angeles beat artists to him. The same snare swing, the dirty percussion, airy samples and all that. Sure they switched it up to make it their own thing, but a lot of artists took some ideas from Dilla.

Now stuff like Donuts, Ruff Draft, The Shining, that's where I agree with you that there's not too much being taken from there.

Man I'm all Dilla-d out now, one of my favorite producers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgt4ktbMxWU

and definitely in my top 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0g_LJ-OFX8

sample from the Beatles (not exactly a sample, but most known from them):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-x9-Xeuc4

Guest Lube Saibot

I think the whole thing goes something like this: before the whole wonky thing exploded, and before it was called as such, it very much existed and was called "abstract hip-hop". Samiyam, Dilla and Madlib (and occasionally RZA, and some might say even early Prefuse before he went all edit-y) are the only ones i know of, but there's probably loads others, these being just the most seminal\popular. Very different amongst themselves.

Now take wonky: tons of different styles similar only in overall "feel" if anything. Now, FlyLo seems to be a sort of guiding flame of wonky, since he's easily the most popular in the whole "genre", Adult Swim bumps and all that, as is said above. And FlyLo has very apparent and numerous Dilla influences.

So they take the most seminal and prolific abstract hip hop guy and link him to the most seminal and popular wonky guy and voila: now everything that comes out that is remotely "wonky" and has a remotely ethereal sample or a snare that 3 ticks to the right on the grid is gonna be called "Dilla-esque" or "post-Dilla" in this inane mission of journalists to place everything in an anal little prison of chronology.

But what do i know, i've got conjunctivitis.

Guest blicero

Also....

[youtubehd]s5tiil5qhq8[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]0ovDj6AsZZY[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]-wYmQJkyvio[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]Pc2uHGeR5cI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]-blxwMxuAcY[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]U-WxG5p8-oQ[/youtubehd]

Guest blicero

[youtubehd]0bFEVeqdSTM[/youtubehd]

What's the name of the second track?

Slum Village - "Do You" [Detroit Deli - 2004]