IGNORED

the Dilla sound?

Alzado

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tht tne

all my dilla is beats rhymes & life and dillanthology 3cd but i still don't see why he's so great

in fact q-tip started to suck right around the time that dilla produced most of his first solo lp

I'm glad I started this thread. There's good stuff here. I just bought the Fantastic Vol. 2.10 instrumental tracks.

you're gonna love them, those are some of my favorite Dilla beats

all my dilla is beats rhymes & life and dillanthology 3cd

lol

edit: never mind, I looked at the tracklist and it's not too bad, alright comp. but you don't still dig him? to each his own, I guess.

dilla subforum or bust.

I'm ok with this

It will never happen though

Guest tht tne

all my dilla is beats rhymes & life and dillanthology 3cd

lol

edit: never mind, I looked at the tracklist and it's not too bad, alright comp. but you don't still dig him? to each his own, I guess.

i can enjoy his music but all the hype distracts me

This is my take on it: It's all about the swing... and for me its just as much Madlib as Dilla. Dilla and Madlib lock into this super swung groove. It's a feeling, a vibe. It's loose but still together. It locks into this beautiful pocket. In the past, Hip Hop beats have been very sequenced and ridged to the grid, and since the looseness of Dilla, its all breaking apart. (There have been cats to use the MPC loosely before Dilla, I'm sure.. Pete Rock?) It's not just that there are beats and samples... It's the kind of beat... the way it bumps, and they way the samples are flipped. His use of samples is very signature. Then there is the side-chained kick, which has been taken and abstracted even further in this post-Jaylib world.

A lot of it has to do with technique. People are approaching beat music in a different way than they did before, so even if some of this new shit doesn't sound like Dilla, you can hear the influence in the approach. But really... a lot of this new abstract Hip Hop is EXTREMELY Dilla, I don' think people saying its all post-Dilla is ridiculous at all. I'll be chillin listening to Samiyam, Flying Lotus, Bibio, or another producer in this camp and friends will ask me "oh shit is this some J Dilla?"

Chilled out, stoned out, BAM. Put Madlib in this equation, he's largely responsible for the super raw, smoked out vibe lately too. I think Madlib is what made Dilla shift from his older sound to his sampled raw shit anyway.

Guest ms-dos

This is my take on it: It's all about the swing... and for me its just as much Madlib as Dilla. Dilla and Madlib lock into this super swung groove. It's a feeling, a vibe. It's loose but still together. It locks into this beautiful pocket. In the past, Hip Hop beats have been very sequenced and ridged to the grid, and since the looseness of Dilla, its all breaking apart. (There have been cats to use the MPC loosely before Dilla, I'm sure.. Pete Rock?) It's not just that there are beats and samples... It's the kind of beat... the way it bumps, and they way the samples are flipped. His use of samples is very signature. Then there is the side-chained kick, which has been taken and abstracted even further in this post-Jaylib world.

A lot of it has to do with technique. People are approaching beat music in a different way than they did before, so even if some of this new shit doesn't sound like Dilla, you can hear the influence in the approach. But really... a lot of this new abstract Hip Hop is EXTREMELY Dilla, I don' think people saying its all post-Dilla is ridiculous at all. I'll be chillin listening to Samiyam, Flying Lotus, Bibio, or another producer in this camp and friends will ask me "oh shit is this some J Dilla?"

Chilled out, stoned out, BAM. Put Madlib in this equation, he's largely responsible for the super raw, smoked out vibe lately too. I think Madlib is what made Dilla shift from his older sound to his sampled raw shit anyway.

well said. swing those beats. chop, swing, shuffle, stick the drum hits back together with scotch tape and rubber bands. also, dilla -- at least in his later period -- is an unusually melodic hip-hop producer, and those wonky producers that we all love so much aren't shying away from melody either.

lone apes this shit all over the place, often to good effect. see what i mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrpR7Y1ez0

I'm glad I started this thread. There's good stuff here. I just bought the Fantastic Vol. 2.10 instrumental tracks.

you're gonna love them, those are some of my favorite Dilla beats

word, this is great. worth the purchase for Players and Conant Gardens alone.

Guest Glass Plate

I just think it's really funny that 90% of the people on this forum that repeatedly "dont get" dilla, have mostly heard Donuts or a few other albums, and for the most part really don't know any thing about his music. I mean The first post in this thread for example (the only one I read) Lol Alzado's interpretation of what the "dilla sound" is makes it fairly obvious he has no idea why Dilla is good. I just have to say WATMM is obviously not a hip-hop forum, and these dilla threads are just lots of facepalmery.

Archived