IGNORED

failed car bomb in times square

chaosmachine

New York City’s Times Square was evacuated and cordoned off Saturday night after emergency personnel deemed a dark-coloured SUV in the area to be "suspicious."

A New York Fire Department officer told the Reuters news agency that the SUV had gasoline, propane, burned wires and explosives in it. The firefighter was not authorized to speak to the media and did not give his name.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/05/01/ny-times-square.html

A mounted police officer noticed smoke coming from the SUV at 6:30 p.m., police said. Bomb investigators found propane tanks, powder and an apparent timing device inside, according to a law enforcement official who wasn't authorized to release the information and spoke on condition of anonymity.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gybfqyTkEm-iRMwMFB-F11LW84oQD9FEFQCO0

"This appears to be a car bomb that the bomb squad is in the process of dismantling," police spokesman Paul Browne said. "We do not know the motive."

Browne said an NYPD mounted policeman spotted a box smoking in the back of the sport utility vehicle and that the area was evacuated shortly after that.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0214043420100502?type=marketsNews

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Z_B_Z

ive been watching msnbc's coverage of this.. i hate the hysteria these kind of things create..

Guest Z_B_Z

is this the first actual caught-in-the-act terrorist attack in america since 9/11?

aside from the shoebomber guy?

no there was that guy on an amsterdam to detroit flight at around christmas time. the 'underwear bomber'.

is this the first actual caught-in-the-act terrorist attack in america since 9/11?

no there was that guy on an amsterdam to detroit flight at around christmas time. the 'underwear bomber'.

ah, yeah. none of these guys really count.

ooh, just thought of something. whoever put that suv together is still out there. :fear:

Guest Z_B_Z

theyre describing it as a "crude" car bomb.. maybe its some lone nut instead of a terrorist organization (although i use the term "organization" loosely)

I was actually in Times Square today at 6:30 pm. Didn't see shit.

We were there to see the new Nightmare on Elm Street... so at least we got to see one bomb. Ba dum bum ching.

Guest Space Coyote

at a glance id say its the work of one or a couple of lone nut types. strikes me that if you were coordinated enough and intent on this going though successfully you would have known that part of your fuse is going to result in smoke and so take measures to seal off the inside of the car or block out the windows somehow.

We were there to see the new Nightmare on Elm Street... so at least we got to see one bomb. Ba dum bum ching.

irl lol

anyway, shit like this is still really unsettling—but the lack of any immediate suspects is...suspect. kind of an oh-shit/stroking-my-fake-beard scenario here.

irl lol

anyway, shit like this is still really unsettling—but the lack of any immediate suspects is...suspect. kind of an oh-shit/stroking-my-fake-beard scenario here.

Part of me is unfazed by the thought of "wow, I could have blown up today" while another part of me is offended that nobody interrupted the movie to let us know. I was literally right fuckin there.

Btw, the movie really wasn't that great. Also, like usual, some inbred idiot brought their baby in to watch a fucked up horror movie. What is with these fuckin New Yorkers?

Guest Z_B_Z

who said anything about south park?

lol theyre saying its a bunch of propane tanks, unconnected wires, clocks and fireworks. fucking fireworks.

irl lol

Part of me is unfazed by the thought of "wow, I could have blown up today" while another part of me is offended that nobody interrupted the movie to let us know. I was literally right fuckin there.

Btw, the movie really wasn't that great. Also, like usual, some inbred idiot brought their baby in to watch a fucked up horror movie. What is with these fuckin New Yorkers?

i'm with you on that—as far as the whole bomb thing goes.

as far as it being suspect, i suppose i expected more finger-pointing, i don't really know. bomb scares are always kind of ambiguous territory, regardless of any immediate assumptions.

sidenote: the bronx zoo was AWESOME today.

irl lol

i'm with you on that—as far as the whole bomb thing goes.

as far as it being suspect, i suppose i expected more finger-pointing, i don't really know. bomb scares are always kind of ambiguous territory, regardless of any immediate assumptions.

sidenote: the bronx zoo was AWESOME today.

LOL , you kidding me , they have like 5 animals in there , all starving by the way.

Anthrax letters? That snipper guy?

Archived