IGNORED

kanye west's production

Alzado

Guest theSun

i like his stuff, don't love it. there's too much shit out there that tries so hard to be like kanye/timbaland/will i am whatever the recent pop producer of your time. i've never been to his shows. i don't like him enough as a person that i don't want to pay money for any of his shit though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alzado -- I totally know what you're talking about, but it doesn't bother me. When I'm listening to his production, I'm more listening for the choice and cut of samples, and I really like where he decides to cut up vocal and instrumental samples.

I heard most of what I know about from this: http://feedmebeats.blogspot.com/2010/02/kanye-west-instrumental-collection.html

Edit: link no longer found. But you can Google 'Kanye instrumentals' to find it.

Yeah, sure do. I as I said at the beginning, I liked Kanye's production a lot more before hearing these than I do now.

Although he does have a handful of great tracks, most of the time he's simply sampling the hook from some old hit and using it again without changing it or reworking it at all.

What a train wreck of a thread. Complete and utter ignorance abounds.

Kanye may not be the most eloquently spoken character around but he is incredibly good at what he does. He's easily the best of the "super producer" folk (Will.i.am, Pharrell, Timbaland etc) and his work shows extreme mastery over aesthetics. 808s and Heartbreak is a fucking unbelievably good album which often sounds like Peter Gabriel. None of his contemporaries would have the gall to release a record like that.

Plus his live shows are incredible. Chances are good that none of the people who are happy to give him shit on this board have been to one of his concerts. He put on a better show in every way than a good seventy five percent of artists I've seen and I've been to hundreds of shows. Everything was perfect. Gigantic band that played numerous instruments - four drummers at one point! - gorgeous projection show, immaculate lighting by Daft Punk's crew, perfect mix.... It was a hell of a show.

i agree with some of this but i disagree that he is the best of the super producer folk. i don't know what will.i.am has done but pharrell and timbaland are far more inventive than kayne. that doesn't make them better, but i think they're all at least equal. kanye has a really good ear for pop production though, compared to those two. but kayne never made anything that matches the masterpieces as "my love" or any of the numerous classic clipse beats.

favorite kayne songs are flashing lights and paranoid. i like when he goes straight up melodic and doesn't waste time rhyming.

Timbaland has become really lazy in his methods, and he's arrogant as fuck when it comes to sampling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbaland_plagiarism_controversy

Pharrell's hasn't evolved his sound either. I think they're great within the confines of top 40 pop, but they're not brilliant, especially now. Will.I.Am's shit is just flat-out lame, dull at best.

in my opinion all three of them have proven themselves as artists, regardless of how much of a shitbag their personality might be

i definitely think pharrell is clearly brilliant. a different side of hip hop, and maybe not anymore but just listen to "mr. me too" or "virginia" or something

Guest blicero

What a train wreck of a thread. Complete and utter ignorance abounds.

Kanye may not be the most eloquently spoken character around but he is incredibly good at what he does. He's easily the best of the "super producer" folk (Will.i.am, Pharrell, Timbaland etc) and his work shows extreme mastery over aesthetics. 808s and Heartbreak is a fucking unbelievably good album which often sounds like Peter Gabriel. None of his contemporaries would have the gall to release a record like that.

Plus his live shows are incredible. Chances are good that none of the people who are happy to give him shit on this board have been to one of his concerts. He put on a better show in every way than a good seventy five percent of artists I've seen and I've been to hundreds of shows. Everything was perfect. Gigantic band that played numerous instruments - four drummers at one point! - gorgeous projection show, immaculate lighting by Daft Punk's crew, perfect mix.... It was a hell of a show.

do you listen any real hip hop, or just top 40? From this post, it sounds like you are more impressed by arena style pop theatrics than actually quality beat production.

Good point, he's an batshit insane egomaniac but he can make a beat and write a good pop song. And his production pwns Timbaland and Will.i.am.

false

Honestly, he's no more egotistical than any other pop musician.

false

Difference is, he can compose music and produce.

false

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/345682/see-you-in-my-nightmares-live-from-vh1-storytellers.jhtml

Timbaland has become really lazy in his methods, and he's arrogant as fuck when it comes to sampling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbaland_plagiarism_controversy

Pharrell's hasn't evolved his sound either. I think they're great within the confines of top 40 pop, but they're not brilliant, especially now. Will.I.Am's shit is just flat-out lame, dull at best.

yeah, will.i.am is not good.

Guest Greg Reason

in my opinion all three of them have proven themselves as artists, regardless of how much of a shitbag their personality might be

i definitely think pharrell is clearly brilliant. a different side of hip hop, and maybe not anymore but just listen to "mr. me too" or "virginia" or something

Pharrell can't write a song to save himself, as proven by that train-wreck of an album In My Head.

Timbaland was great back when he was doin Missy's shit but he's become a parody of himself who seems keen on sticking to the same sound every time.

Guest Greg Reason

do you listen any real hip hop, or just top 40? From this post, it sounds like you are more impressed by arena style pop theatrics than actually quality beat production.

I listen to DJ Krush, DJ Shadow, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang, RZA, Gravediggaz, GZA, Ghostface, ODB, Meth, Red, The Roots, Dilla, Slum Village, Guilty, Frank'n'Dank, Gang Starr, Jazzmatazz, Madlib, Pete Rock, Hi Tek, Common, Kweli, Mos Def, Q-Tip, Tribe, De La, Cypress, Muggs, Blackalicious, Mr Lif, Cage, Peanut Butter Wolf, Sa-Ra, Nas, Dangermouse, MF Doom, Kool Keith, Shadow Huntaz, RJD2, cLOUDDEAD, Katalyst, Scribe, Lupe, Kanye, Saul Williams, J5, Cut Chemist, Snoop etc etc

I get into pretty much everything. But I like it when someone has enough aptitude to consider all aspects of a performance and put on a show that is perfect in every way, as Kanye's was. And posting a link to one bad song ('See You in My Nightmares' was never a work of genius) is hardly refuting how good 'Say You Will' or 'Streetlights' or 'Roses' or 'Addiction' or even 'Jesus Walks' is.

Guest Backson

false

false

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/345682/see-you-in-my-nightmares-live-from-vh1-storytellers.jhtml

this is exactly what I'm talking about. You, who I assume sees yourself as a musically enlightened individual, are reacting like a Taylor Swift fan.

You might think that the promotion of Kanye was orchestrated by the music industry, but little do you know that they have just as much to do with his downfall.

Guest Backson

Will.I.Am's shit is just flat-out lame, dull at best.

I've acually mildly enjoyed a couple of Will.i.Am beats. But the funny thing is that every track he involves himself in, he seems to fuck up badly in some way. Its because he's so childish and G rated.

Pharrell can't write a song to save himself, as proven by that train-wreck of an album In My Head.

Timbaland was great back when he was doin Missy's shit but he's become a parody of himself who seems keen on sticking to the same sound every time.

kanye writes decent songs but they're not good enough to justify saying he's any better than pharrell.

Guest blicero

false

false

this is exactly what I'm talking about. You, who I assume sees yourself as a musically enlightened individual, are reacting like a Taylor Swift fan.

You might think that the promotion of Kanye was orchestrated by the music industry, but little do you know that they have just as much to do with his downfall.

so if you think kanye west is egotistical and creates bad music... you're a taylor swift fan? that's bullshit.

it was obvious that he is an egomaniac, waaaaay before "i'mma let you finish but..."

he's had some decent beats, but lately he's just been total garbage. trying to sing with auto-tune turned to 11? he obviously wants to be some kind of superstar, not merely content with being a producer.

and what's with the fucking mullet?!

I mean, FFS...

look at this fucking hipster!

kanye_west.jpg

kanye-west-outfit.jpg

Archived