IGNORED

Campfire Headphase

halisray

One thing that cannot be denied: Macquarie Ridge is awesome, particularly when accompanied by some Norwegian Aurora Borealis:

agreed, Macquarie Ridge is awesome. i've had Campfire Headphase on vinyl since it's release but only found this track the other day.. treat!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest phaelam

One thing that cannot be denied: Macquarie Ridge is awesome, particularly when accompanied by some Norwegian Aurora Borealis:

i totally agree....BUT not on our version ;) just the jap release.

but ya, that tunes thick!

Guest phaelam

i wanted to edit that last post as it was written beyond badly, but the forum decided to change its mind and not allow it.....so here is the mod.

i totally agree....BUT m-ridge is not on the regular release ;)...just on the jap release. hence not contributing to faze.

but ya, that tunes thick! smacks of vibe. goosebump inducing.

i like this v. of the vid too. the link you posted is pretty sick too. northern lights are something!

see em lots in canmore.

i think barbarella could be cut up to make a good vid for this tune.

I still don't get the hate. Headphase just wasn't meant to be a dark, scary album. It's really good for what it is and it evokes images and feelings just as well as the other two albums I think. But I can see what you mean if you think it veers dangerously close to easy listening. It has fewer discordant/shocking moments.

Trans Canada Highway would have been awesome if Macquarie Ridge was the lead track instead of Dayvan Cowboy.

Totally agree. Fave track on that release was 'Heard from Telegraph Lines' by far. Never been a great lover of Dayvan Cowboy, perhaps it's just a bit too immediate, or perhaps it's the guitar or strings? Who knows? I think of Dayvan as kind of like the Aquarius of CHP, I always liked Telephasic Workshop more, but Aquarius seemed to be the one that everyone else loved.

Guest Joebot Kill

alright, i usually avoid this debate but i'm bored, so what the hell.

firstly, I love BoC's entire discography. Twoism, Hi Scores, MHTRTC, and Geogaddi are timeless classics. I will love them forever. but I love campfire headphase too.

to all the haters: try listening to campfire headphase on cassette, on a hot summer's day, while driving down a beat-up highway, on your way to the beach, smoking a bowl with someone close. then you will get feeling of this album. this is very much a "stoned on a warm day" album. they talked at length about this being the antithesis of geogaddi. it was a conscious decision to make a warm, comfortable, summer album. i'm not even going to bother drudging up quotes on this. they're out there if you look up any interview from 2005.

to say it's "too accessible" makes you sound like a bit of an ass. it's not fucking raster-noton.

no narrative?? the way the album dies down to a glowing ember?

how about waking up early in the morning, hung-over from a crazy night at a bonfire. smoking a bowl and walking down to the lake by yourself with satellite anthem icarus playing in your headphones. try sitting on a hill at dusk and letting this album play out with the setting sun.

now, i know its all opinion! i realize this post sounds super defensive. and honestly, i get where many of you guys are coming from. i can totally see how this follow up to everything else is lackluster for some people. it's easily not my favorite BoC album. i pretty much love everything else they've done more than this. but these were moments in my life that are unbeatable. and to discredit it for lacking complex sampling or beats (even though it's still there) is just foolish.

by the way, the old tunes tapes are pretty great. some of its a bit wonky, some is obviously a bit amateurish, but many of those tracks cant be beat. it's all about northern plastics. i dont care if it's lo-fi. it's got soul.

sorry for the rant. cheers!

Guest phaelam

I still don't get the hate. Headphase just wasn't meant to be a dark, scary album. It's really good for what it is and it evokes images and feelings just as well as the other two albums I think. But I can see what you mean if you think it veers dangerously close to easy listening. It has fewer discordant/shocking moments.

its not dark, scary, sullen, mopey....its not even happy.

i wouldnt even put it in with easy listening.

its just flat.

im telling you its the strangest thing. im not choosing to dislike it. i have it on now and im getting aggravated.

its gets especially hard come 'hey saturday sun' and onward. i just have an uncontrollable urge to turn it off.

'left side drive' is also very poignant. so good.

BUT also not on the release.

Guest phaelam

perhaps....

its that headflail reminds me of my tunes, not that im saying what i do is even REMOTELY close to being in the league of this music. please do not assume i think that for a second, my tunes are pure shit.

but they dont go anywhere.....ever.

and headbang feels like that to me. and i get very frustrated.

and the tunes dont seem to fit. its all the same, but they dont go together...if that makes any sense.

pov

Guest phaelam

watching an ember burn out has more moments of interest than this album has at any moment.

at least you can be taken away to deep thought or get on to some very imaginative moments.

almost hypnotized but the way the light moves around the charred wood.

Guest Joebot Kill

watching an ember burn out has more moments of interest than this album has at any moment.

at least you can be taken away to deep thought or get on to some very imaginative moments.

almost hypnotized but the way the light moves around the charred wood.

it's just your opinion, and you can't argue with that. but slow this bird down, tears from the compound eye and farewell fire do this. then the near silence at the end of the album. i find this all to be quite moving. i know it's all pov. it's too bad you cant get into the album. it's definitely not their best, but i definitely appreciate it for what it is.

Guest Joebot Kill

i dont have permission to edit my post?

it's interesting how divisive this album is. i remember a few months ago bibio posted something on how he hated it at first too. you just gotta let go and see where it takes you. boards of canada dont want to be known as an "idm" or "warp" band. thus the campfire headphase. i dunno, it is what it is. here's hoping their new stuff will be more like 747 or the why? remix. or even trans canada highway, which is pretty incredible.

Guest soundbwoy

sorry for the rant. cheers!

intersting - having read this, I think I might give it another listen and see...

i dunno, it is what it is. here's hoping their new stuff will be more like 747 or the why? remix. or even trans canada highway, which is pretty incredible.

dude, i agree with everything you say, but especially this. get outta my head, yo!

Guest phaelam

it's interesting how divisive this album is. i remember a few months ago bibio posted something on how he hated it at first too. you just gotta let go and see where it takes you. boards of canada dont want to be known as an "idm" or "warp" band. thus the campfire headphase. i dunno, it is what it is. here's hoping their new stuff will be more like 747 or the why? remix. or even trans canada highway, which is pretty incredible.

ya weird that the edit post died....it werked a few days ago.

i remember the bibio note.

i think ive given this album a fair shake. and it just gets worse the more i hear it.

initially i dug it. but as time goes on...it just gets more and more stale.

completely flaccid. the EP could have been the album. take chromakey, oscar, tears, ataronchronon, sherbet, a moment and macquarie...

add that to the EP and take out the clouddead mix and dayvan....and that could have been a solid composition.

headpanned takes me to the stop button.

i BEG that they stay away from the why mix [aweful] and 747.

myself...hoping for spiro style or something a little more sampley/beaty...web-loop.

Guest phaelam

boards of canada dont want to be known as an "idm" or "warp" band. thus the campfire headphase.

i would HOPE that the path chosen wasn't influenced for this reason. i would aslo hope they are above all that shit.

these music labels are ridikkiyo! its all electronic music. idm, dubstep, techno, techstep....silly. E L E C T R O N I C.

its definitely not classical, country, rock, folk, pop.

it would make me sad if a name tag influenced the direction of headphase.

i seriously can't see that though.

[added this: and YES it is simply opinion. i have stated this every time. i just thought it was becoming redundant. if this edit shows...editing posts werks again]

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

ya weird that the edit post died....it werked a few days ago.

i remember the bibio note.

i think ive given this album a fair shake. and it just gets worse the more i hear it.

initially i dug it. but as time goes on...it just gets more and more stale.

completely flaccid. the EP could have been the album. take chromakey, oscar, tears, ataronchronon, sherbet, a moment and macquarie...

add that to the EP and take out the clouddead mix and dayvan....and that could have been a solid composition.

headpanned takes me to the stop button.

i BEG that they stay away from the why mix [aweful] and 747.

myself...hoping for spiro style or something a little more sampley/beaty...web-loop.

I quite like the Why? remix. Its gorgeous and funky. The one note the press about a minute in kills. It has a killer rap beat. And funky wah-wah guitars!

I edited my post too P, adding another funky to it.

Archived