IGNORED

2010: the year we make etc etc

BCM

slight threadjack but this prob belongs in here as well

http://www.newforestobservatory.com/2010/05/12/test/

click the picture for the (misleading) animation, it's a star that has changed drastically in intensity over 18 months and the animation is showing the difference between the highest and lowest points.

i'm waiting for the time when they discover an exoplanet that has a dyson sphere around it or something else that has to be artificial. that would be really cool. i wonder if they would even release that information.

Related stories

Hawking: Aliens are out there, likely to be Bad News (26 April 2010)

One fifth of humans say aliens walk among us (12 April 2010)

Vids Pandora plus Endor: Multi hab-moon motherworld discovered (22 March 2010)

Forget SETI, this is how you find aliens: Hefty prof speaks (3 March 2010)

Secret documents: The Truth about MoD's UFO files (2 March 2010)

Sun takes over MoD's UFO bureau (29 January 2010)

'Alien spies live among us' says Bulgarian gov space boffin (26 November 2009)

Catholic priests, scientists head to Rome to ponder alien life (10 November 2009)

click the picture for the (misleading) animation, it's a star that has changed drastically in intensity over 18 months and the animation is showing the difference between the highest and lowest points.

i'm waiting for the time when they discover an exoplanet that has a dyson sphere around it or something else that has to be artificial. that would be really cool. i wonder if they would even release that information.

it would be the star, not the planet which would have the dyson sphere

and as a result you wouldn't be able to detect it.

sure, but i don't see why there couldn't be a dyson sphere or net or a similar superstructure encompassing a planet. and i don't see how it would be undetectable unless it completely blocks out any emitting radiation. either way, with the advancement of finding small objects like planets in distant systems, it's just a matter of time before they might stumble on something artificial, surely there must be some civilizations that are type II or III on the kardashev scale.

at least i hope so, would really bum me out if we would be the pinnacle of civilization in this universe.

sure, but i don't see why there couldn't be a dyson sphere or net or a similar superstructure encompassing a planet.

the purpose of a dyson sphere is to capture as close to 100% of the radiated energy from the object it contains as possible.

stars radiate energy. planets don't.

2010: The Year We Make Pancakes

Fuck it, we're going crazy.

2010: The Year We Make Paiella

I'd be more impressed to find a Ringworld.

Guest sirch

I have a ringworld.

aliens attend here on a semi regular basis. they seem to prefer a roast beef.

the anus, mind.

Archived