Redruth

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I have no idea if it is or not but it seems so much like a setup spoof lol

yeh dood I really dont think thats realy him

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Yeh I know he fucking around a lot in interviews but it really didn't seem like him

LOLOLOLOL

"he actually writes choose your own adventure novels now"

Guest Franklin

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with Encey that Harmony Korine does not make what most people would consider a "movie."

I've always viewed his "movies" as collections of sinister or demented images that occur to him as provoking or just to satisfy an urge to shock people.

But rather than write that he "fails" to create a movie of the kind that Conant writes, I'll comment that he succeeds at creating haunting landscapes in an atypical movie format, one that intentionally provokes sadness or disgust or stirs discomfort for no other reason than morbid entertainment.

the question of whether this is art is interesting. can a disturbing image held up to society be classified as art though it may not have meaning or purpose injected into it? Can a viewers' injection of meaning or purpose into a created object make it art?

Guest Z_B_Z

i find the old 'hes just out to shock people' criticism to be a bit lazy. his films are too artfully assembled. provocation is certainly part of the picture but to reduce his work to mere exploitation is just misguided.

Guest Franklin

i find the old 'hes just out to shock people' criticism to be a bit lazy. his films are too artfully assembled. provocation is certainly part of the picture but to reduce his work to mere exploitation is just misguided.

I've wondered about this many times... is this some sort of comment on the shit of society or depravity of the human mind? And what is the comment--- this is good, bad, neither? Is it intentionally absurd or nihilistic and that's the comment? I've not read any good theories on what exactly he's aiming at.

what do you think Z?

Guest Z_B_Z

I've wondered about this many times... is this some sort of comment on the shit of society or depravity of the human mind? And what is the comment? Is it intentionally absurd or nihilistic and that's the comment? I've not read any good theories on what exactly he's aiming at.

what do you think Z?

well, i dont think korine has ever meant his films to be a comment on anything. he strikes me primarily as an intuitive filmmaker, almost anti intellectual. he obviously has an innate talent for writing dialogue and an incredible eye, but ultimately what draws me to his work is the refusal to take any kind of a moral stance. he presents deeply disturbing, yet oddly moving characters and situations without any kind of a moral compass for the audience to follow. this combined with how he assembles his films (in a sort of dreamlike anti narrative) really resonates with me.

korine on his motivations-

I never cared so much about making perfect sense. I wanted to make perfect nonsense. I wanted to tell jokes, but I didn`t give a fuck about the punch line.

no, that was a short done for something else..

a recent korine acceptance speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ebeFvwYYIc

Oh that is most definitely him.

Gummo will be in my top five films till the day I die. Korine is in my opinion looking to trigger an emotional response in people, like most artists do, and obviously, if you look at this from all sides, it has succeeded, if you look at all the debate in this thread. Since no one here has seen this yet (I will get some sort of review from my cousin tomorrow) I will talk about Gummo here for a sec. For a lot of people, at first glance (admittedly, most don't get any further), it seems exploitative, pointless, and offensive. I'm trying to explain myself without getting gushy but it's hard. It's rare that a film can be so effective on many levels, yet so many cannot see past the surface, which is a shame, because really, it is a beautiful film. Moving. Brilliant. Since probably 2000, when I 1st meet a girl, early on in the relationship, I show them Gummo. Depending on their reaction, I make the decision on if I want to stay with them or not. That may sound crazy but hey, when I get in a relationship, there are standards.

At any rate, I'm sure there is more to Trash Humpers than meets the eye, at least from our ignorant perspective, and my trust in Korine. If I am dissapoint, I am dissapoint. We'll play that by ear.

people are saying this movie is disturbing but i honestly can't stop laughing at these trailers. it looks exactly like what it is: some guys in cheap old man masks screwing around on videotape. reminds me of those six flags commercials with that guy in the old man makeup dancing around.

actually, those six flags commercials were way more disturbing looking than what i've seen of Trash Humpers. i mean, even the title 'Trash Humpers'... that's just funny as hell. i see this thing as Harmony screwing around and making a comedy more than anything else. lets get some old videotape and just shoot some stuff real quick stream-of-conciousness style. i really can't take it too seriously.

but seeing all those festival awards it got: fucking lol. makes them all look like a bunch of gullible idiot posers imo.

"did you get it?"

"yeah! we got it! of course we got it. we even gave it an award."

"oh yeah. so did we. brilliant film."

"yes, i agree. so transgressive."

:rolleyes:

Guest blicero

I like how it's hard to tell if the "interviewer" is in on the joke, or the butt of the joke. (i'm leaning toward the latter)

agreed.

I think defining art might be pointless, and probably impossible, but in response to this thread, here are some claims that I think are clearly incorrect definitions of art:

• having a buyer or monetary value does not make something art.
  • just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't art. most art i see day to day is complete shit in my book. but it's still art.
  • the amount of work invested to create a work of art has nothing to do with it's artistic merit. that would be like saying that a poignant phrase can't be as significant as an essay, because it has a lower word count.

Korine is in my opinion looking to trigger an emotional response in people, like most artists do, and obviously, if you look at this from all sides, it has succeeded, if you look at all the debate in this thread.

But how much skill does it take to provoke an emotional reaction in people with images like this? Not much.

Guest theSun

Korine is in my opinion looking to trigger an emotional response in people, like most artists do, and obviously, if you look at this from all sides, it has succeeded, if you look at all the debate in this thread.

But how much skill does it take to provoke an emotional reaction in people with images like this? Not much.

how much skill does it take to play the same synth line over and over? (saw2)

does skill have anything to do, intrinsically, with art? are there unskilled artists?

Well, there's 'folk'/'outsider' art, but I don't really know how that works.

The skill is not in Dick's playing the line over and over (I assume he sequenced it and is not playing it at all), but in choosing notes that will repeat with a hypnotic rather than obnoxious effect.

Guest uptown devil

watching 'kids' with a lady friend will destroy any shred of a chance of getting laid that night

i need to see gummo again

i thought mister lonely kind of sucked, maybe it went over my head but i just didn't enjoy it very much at all

trash humpers is absolutely right up my alley, it doesn't look disturbing to me, just hilarious

Guest blicero

watching 'kids' with a lady friend will destroy any shred of a chance of getting laid that night

quoted for truth

Archived