IGNORED

LED Festival, London August 27-28 2010

Guest Coalbucket PI

Guest Coalbucket PI

I don't really believe there isn't a topic on this somewhere but I can't find it if there is.

I bought a ticket for this as soon as that Aphex @ Metz tune appeared and I remembered why I love Aphex. but also now there's Leftfield which should be great and Goldfrapp which might be very good and Friendly Fires who I actually rather like and I expect do a terrific live show. Also Sub Focus and Shy FX could be some produce some reasonable to very good drum & bass. Unfortunately also comedy shit dickhead act Die Antwoord :(

I'm completely disregarding the Friday night which includes David Guetta and Calvin Harris and Axwell and Zombie Nation and basically look like an audio turd.

Someone else must be going, cause all my bum mates are being too tight to fork out £40 so far

Guest Coalbucket PI

you're not wrong about that my friend, not even sure why they try and make it looks like a unified event

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Coalbucket PI

I've got some videos to post when I get the chance. It was slow to get going and the die antwoord bits were really shit and annoying, but the last 45 minutes was on good form; played some slowed down drukqs and macc&dgohn sort of stuff. the visuals were cool, looked like they were filming the crowd with some face recognition thing putting aphex faces over peoples faces.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I thought the first 45 minutes or so was really disappointing. Die Antwoord (the guys/girls in puppet costumes, right?) were really fucking good in comparison to the stuff he was putting out. It started out interesting, and I was looking forward to it, assuming the rest would get better, but massive fail, instead. After about 45 minutes it got better, as he was mixing in some old drukqs stuff and On at one point. (Pity I didn't like the stuff I'd not heard before as much as that) The ending looked good (watched on youtube, I got sick of it after a while and went to join my friends at the front for Leftfield), but as a whole, and definitely compared to when I've seen him solo, the set was a big let down. Boring for the first 40-50 minutes.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I thought the first 45 minutes or so was really disappointing. Die Antwoord (the guys/girls in puppet costumes, right?) were really fucking good in comparison to the stuff he was putting out. It started out interesting, and I was looking forward to it, assuming the rest would get better, but massive fail, instead. After about 45 minutes it got better, as he was mixing in some old drukqs stuff and On at one point. (Pity I didn't like the stuff I'd not heard before as much as that) The ending looked good (watched on youtube, I got sick of it after a while and went to join my friends at the front for Leftfield), but as a whole, and definitely compared to when I've seen him solo, the set was a big let down. Boring for the first 40-50 minutes.

Sort of agree, first half wasn't going anywhere, after he played On it sort of got going, and the second time Die Antwoord came on they were virtually drowned out which was a plus. The last 20 minutes were fantastic though, some cunt in front of me spent the whole time shouting in everyone's ears that they weren't dancing enough and forgot to dance or even listen to the music himself. Leftfield were really boring.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Sort of agree, first half wasn't going anywhere, after he played On it sort of got going, and the second time Die Antwoord came on they were virtually drowned out which was a plus. The last 20 minutes were fantastic though, some cunt in front of me spent the whole time shouting in everyone's ears that they weren't dancing enough and forgot to dance or even listen to the music himself. Leftfield were really boring.

Yeah I wish I'd stayed for the last 20 minutes, but after the first half I'd kind of lost hope, plus my friends were at Leftfield. Aww well. I'll go and see him at a gig in future I think (I saw him in London years ago and fucking loved it), not sure if I'll bother and see him at a festival again though if he's going to be like that, or at least if I do, try to make the end and not bother about the first half.

Guest grinningcat

Aphex was good, not as good as other sets I have seen by him but still he took you on a little journey

I actually though annie mac who was on before him was surprisingly good, yes it was cheesey music but she mixes quite well and got the crowd hyped up!

I saw the first 5mins of leftfield as they played song of life, I could tell I was not going to enjoy their set as the soundsystem just was not loud enough. In fact, the whole festival seemed very amateurish, I mean I know its the first time they were doing it but:

(1) soundsystem not loud enough on either stage, I mean that always sucks. You invite Aphex and Leftfield on but dont sort out a decent rig

(2) not much else going on, just the two stages and about 8 acts, felt kinda empty

the good thing though was the fact they ran on time, like each artist was on within about 5mins of when they were meant to come on.

did leftfield finish with phat planet? was it any good?

The trouble of any London outdoor gig - its never going to be loud enough. SW4 have faced that problem since it started but somehow they still manage to sell out every year.

The rigs were probably fine, they were just very limited with what they could do on them. :trashbear: I can never understand why they dont run some F1 stacks in the tents at these London festivals.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

did leftfield finish with phat planet? was it any good?

yeah, they did. it was good fun. best bit of their gig.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yeah had the same volume difficulties at Field Day in victoria park a few months ago. At least there were more small tents there and they were loud enough because they were little

Archived