IGNORED

Anyone got a job for me

impakt

London's an overpriced fucking dive, I've been here for six years and I can't wait to leave! Berlin's where it's at.

i love this city, although quite a few people i know have moved to berlin in the past couple of years. but i'm entirely anglophone, i could order a beer or ask for directions in germany but that's about it. also, my job involves writing which pretty much restricts me to english-speaking nations. it's a shame because i keep hearing wonderful stories about cheap rents and the great art scene.

and what i really need is to live somewhere with year-round sunshine. it's so important to my psychological well-being. i don't know how i've survived 25 years in the UK, i've suffered with serious depression every winter since i was 18 and it keeps getting worse.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iain, if you get that job in the Virgin Islands, I'm the first to come and visit.

i seriously hope i do... but i reckon my lack of ad sales experience will be my downfall. it's not the kind of thing you can just lie about.

London's an overpriced fucking dive, I've been here for six years and I can't wait to leave! Berlin's where it's at.

Berlin is stuffed full of people that left London to go live there, the prices are going up every month and it's just not worth moving there if you don't like London/London prices.

i know they're hardly comparable. but they're both more appealing than london. just want sunshine and smiles. i love this city 8 months of the year but winter kills me, each one gets worse. i'm in serious psychic anguish most of the time, like now.

You'll get sunshine in abundance in Austin, but you will also get a lot of heat. As long as the winters are there, that's how long the summers are in Austin. You don't really get a fall or a spring. You get hot, and not as hot.

That said, Austin is a cool town and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Guest Beefuncle

i love this city, although quite a few people i know have moved to berlin in the past couple of years. but i'm entirely anglophone, i could order a beer or ask for directions in germany but that's about it. also, my job involves writing which pretty much restricts me to english-speaking nations. it's a shame because i keep hearing wonderful stories about cheap rents and the great art scene.

and what i really need is to live somewhere with year-round sunshine. it's so important to my psychological well-being. i don't know how i've survived 25 years in the UK, i've suffered with serious depression every winter since i was 18 and it keeps getting worse.

I know exactly how you feel,

its not just the weather its the atmosphere. No one on the streets and those who are look fucking miserable. Theres no sound when you stand outside your house just an intolerable silence. Its a really horrible spiral of misery, it really makes you feel isolated and depressed.

You should try the northern parts of norway then. I grew up within the arctic circle, that's 8-9 months of pitch dark every year. I want to try living somewhere bright and sunny now.

PItch dark 24/7 during those months and bright as day 24/7 during the summer. Very polar :p

Berlin was like a revelation for me. Shitty weather or not, I'd take it over anything but I fear that all the hype is going to spoil it with skyrocketing costs of living. My friend, born and raised East Berlin, has been lamenting the gentrification of all the squatted locations that made post-Soviet Berlin exciting.

He told me the old Tresor location on Leipziger Strasse is now upscale IKEA-style furniture stores and other hipster shopping destinations, which made me cry a little on the inside. When I was there in 1999, the skyline was filled with the cranes of construction so it should be no surprise that it has all come to pass.

Also, Berlin probably speaks more English than London at this point. I went to school with my German friends, who were a year off from Abitur, and their English class was basically the same as the "advanced English" I had as a senior in high school. Check the posts of the Germans on WATMM--you would never know English isn't their first language. Only the older people who grew up knowing Russian and German have trouble with English. Anybody under 40 is gonna speak it as well as you. Getting employment and not speaking German---that is something I'm not sure about.

I was looking into a really good exchange program for a doctorate in American history there(yeah, i know).....is living in Berlin worth it? It would be nice to try to pick up a ton of German classes in my spare time.

Berlin is stuffed full of people that left London to go live there, the prices are going up every month and it's just not worth moving there if you don't like London/London prices.

Well the main attraction for me, as Iain mentioned, is the arts scene. Plus I can't see the rent reaching London levels any time soon!

Archived