IGNORED

Soup appreciations thread

Guest Promo

I'm a pretty big fan of rivels. For instance chicken corn soup or ham and bean soup with rivels. Similar to a dumpling, you drop pieces of dough in the broth as it boils.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CARROT AND ORANGE SOUP

1 oz. butter

1 1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced

2 med. onions, skinned and sliced

2 pts. chicken stock

Salt and pepper

1 med. orange

Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the carrots and onions and cook gently until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.

Allow the soup to cool slightly, then sieve or puree in a blender or food processor. Finely grate half the rind from the orange and add to the soup. Thinly pare the remainder of the rind, using a potato peeler, and cut into fine shreds. Cook the shreds in simmering water for 2-3 minutes until tender, then drain.

Squeeze the juice from the orange and add to the pan. Reheat gently and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Garnish with shreds of orange rind just before serving.

i like to add some fresh coriander.

Dashi, Miso or Pork Ramen

Pho

French Onion

Clam Chowder

Black Bean

In that order

my polish gf hasn't been able to convince me of the deliciousness of barszcz yet.... I guess I'm just not a beet guy :wacko:

coddle.

coddle.

ohhhh coddle. i didn't think anyone else on watmm would be aware of coddle.

it is in my top three dishes ever. i wrote much of the wiki article. coddle is amazing.

dublin coddle

requires: 1 very large pot, 1 kettle

ingredients:

750g floury potatoes, peeled and sliced into layers

750g butcher's best traditional pork sausages, separated and halved

500g onions, peeled and sliced into layers

500g butcher's thin-sliced fatty back bacon (rashers!), quartered

very, very liberal amounts of freshly ground black pepper

method:

parboil the potatoes until semi-soft

drain out 2/3 of the water - the idea is to cook with steam, mostly.

add the sliced sausage, onion, and rashers... arrange everything in layers

lots of black pepper per layer

cook on a low heat for a while with the lid on the pot

the dish should be about 1/3 to 1/2 submerged in stock.

add more boiling water to keep it that way.

when everything is cooked, and the fat on the bacon is sort of melding with the stock, it's done.

coddle is traditionally a food associated with poor people in ireland... trying to use up the last of the pig on a thursday cos eating meat was forbidden on friday. but if you do coddle with good ingredients, it. is. amazing. real simple too.

i love it because it's just an excellent conveyance for pork fat. YUMMMM and boy is it warming. my mom used to make it in the middle of winter years ago... I'd love to try it again!

are you of irish descent? it's a pretty obscure dish. even outside dublin!

coddle :wub:

i love it because it's just an excellent conveyance for pork fat. YUMMMM and boy is it warming. my mom used to make it in the middle of winter years ago... I'd love to try it again!

are you of irish descent? it's a pretty obscure dish. even outside dublin!

coddle :wub:

my great grandma was irish but my gran and mom are south african.... long story but I guess it got to us somehow! :fear:

Archived