IGNORED

Why I'm proud to be an American

Alzado

A very American thing happened tonight at work. 2 black women come through, dressed to the hilt, tattoos visible on their chest and tits. One buys tampons, the other buys a Mars bar. In the middle of the transaction, one lady's phone starts ringing. She hits speakerphone. "HELLO. YOU ARE RECEIVING THIS CALL FROM A UNITED STATES CORRECTIONAL FACILITY. YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL CHARGES. PRESS 1 TO CONTINUE". She hits 1. I mentally grin because I can't believe she's giving me the good fortune of hearing this out loud.

phone: "ay yo"

woman: "hey whaddup?"

phone: "did you get it done?"

woman: "yeah, I got it done for you, ain't no thang".

I spent the rest of the night just fantasizing about what "it" might have been. Did she transfer some funds to his commissary? Choke a bitch out? It reminded me of the immortal words of "So Cold In The D": "it's all on a nigga's mind/workin' and doin' time". I'm not trying to be racist but it's a statistical inevitability that the average black American will know someone who has caught a case or is in currently. This seemingly everyday interaction on the phone sort of brought that fact home.

you sound white

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is so much art and stuff being made its kind of ridiculous to judge a country on the media exports that get to your eyes and ears. Dig deeper there is always something cool coming from somewhere. anyway. Ive never been proud to be an American

i dont see how you can call the monkeys a cultural icon that overshadows the accomplishments of some of the best music of the 90s. That just does me in. I suppose the brady bunch was better than the wire too?

A very American thing happened tonight at work. 2 black women come through, dressed to the hilt, tattoos visible on their chest and tits. One buys tampons, the other buys a Mars bar. In the middle of the transaction, one lady's phone starts ringing. She hits speakerphone. "HELLO. YOU ARE RECEIVING THIS CALL FROM A UNITED STATES CORRECTIONAL FACILITY. YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL CHARGES. PRESS 1 TO CONTINUE". She hits 1. I mentally grin because I can't believe she's giving me the good fortune of hearing this out loud.

phone: "ay yo"

woman: "hey whaddup?"

phone: "did you get it done?"

woman: "yeah, I got it done for you, ain't no thang".

I spent the rest of the night just fantasizing about what "it" might have been. Did she transfer some funds to his commissary? Choke a bitch out? It reminded me of the immortal words of "So Cold In The D": "it's all on a nigga's mind/workin' and doin' time". I'm not trying to be racist but it's a statistical inevitability that the average black American will know someone who has caught a case or is in currently. This seemingly everyday interaction on the phone sort of brought that fact home.

lol

Archived