IGNORED

Why I'm proud to be an American

Alzado

Guest Al Hounos

yeah, why is it that everyone associates McDonalds and NASCAR and Sarah Palin and gun nuts with the US, but no one ever thinks USA when they hear "Apple, microsoft, facebook, google, youtube, harvard, NASA, etc."

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ironic thing about the predictable and cliched anti-Americanism in this thread is that it is born of the kind of uninformed qualitative judgments that are at the root of strong nationalistic feelings. In other words, all of the easy, go-to cracks about McDonalds and NASCAAR etc. stem from the following thought processes:

milligan_pinky.jpg

"I say, those savage Americans are awfully fat and thickheaded. Nothing like we refined and dignified subjects of the Crown."

Your own feelings of superiority are nothing more than nationalism, even if you don't call it that. Also, yes this was the land of the Native Americans, and yes we all but stamped them out completely. But none of that would ever have happened if it weren't for Britain's colonial exploitation of nearly the entire world. Britain's list of sins runs long. So drop a lump of humility into your dainty cups of tea please.

don't kid yourself, north america would have been better off if it had remained under the crown. Instead you had an US as it rose to prominence, spending it's time trying to undermine the empire. A plan which ultimately failed both anglo-saxon nations.

I'd hope you'd understand this point, but i'm cynical enough to have come to the conclusion that lack of humility runs in the family.

;-]

yeah, why is it that everyone associates McDonalds and NASCAR and Sarah Palin and gun nuts with the US, but no one ever thinks USA when they hear "Apple, microsoft, facebook, google, youtube, harvard, NASA, etc."

that's your impression of our impression of you. Personally when i think of the US i think firstly of imperialism, then after that it's exporting crap media, like sitcoms. That these two are the first that come to mind says more about my personal interests and preferences than anything. So international politics and TV.

Perhaps then following this line of logic, we could say that nascar and mcdonalds are big winners because of your average respondents interest in both sports and eating. Although then again maybe these are the things most likely to be noticed by the US listener when the list of US ills, as projected by a foreigner is read to them, hence my first sentence.

----

Now as to why what you are hearing from foreigners tends to stray more often than not into the negative side of the ledger. Well given the illegal wars the US started over the past half century and it's voracious exploitation of smaller economies, it's not surprising that people outside the US then tend towards an overall negative impression of the US when asked about it. You'll find that opinion can be something that's either black or white, just ask anyone in PR. This of course doesn't stop them from buying into US consumer culture or cherrypicking from it's vast list of subcultures.

So don't be down about all this, it really is a non-issue. Besides, we're all learning to fear and so loath china in the rest of the world, you'll soon catch up, and then we can all be buddies. For reasons of convenience sure, but mates nonetheless.

UK-US arguments are ridiculously stupid, that's my contribution. Both countries have good + bad points. Neither are the best countries - there are far more mature countries that would at least be able to hold their heads up in the event of an alien invasion.

UK-US arguments are ridiculously stupid, that's my contribution. Both countries have good + bad points. Neither are the best countries - there are far more mature countries that would at least be able to hold their heads up in the event of an alien invasion.

av-100.gif

stand up the people of antarctica, we're calling you.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Despite all of our faults, you have to admire the passion of the average American. Unlike gay ass brits, who temper their enthusiasm for the sake of appearing stoic and composed, Americans unabashedly display even their strongest feelings like a seasonal window display. When we hate something, we take to the streets (internet). When we fear something, we develop color coded indices to gage the appropriate level of hysteria. When we don't understand something, we scream and yell about it anyway as if we were experts on the subject.

Nobody loves like an American. When we love something, our fervor reaches its most extreme, with capillaries bursting, vocal chords straining, and bumper stickers bedazzling. We go so far as to adorn our own bodies with the objects of our passion, and no subject is too trivial or mundane.

May God bless you America and all of the fucking nutbags that call you home.

we can be pretty fucking stupid and deranged, but i nearly agree with you. well put. i for one have NEVER been proud to be American

There are far more mature countries that would at least be able to hold their heads up in the event of an alien invasion.

I had a serious think about this and the only one I could come up with was Bhutan.

There are far more mature countries that would at least be able to hold their heads up in the event of an alien invasion.

I had a serious think about this and the only one I could come up with was Bhutan.

av-100.gif

"this citizen of bhutan thanks you"

---

hey i wonder if they go to the bhutique to buy clothes ? Not that this well furred yeti needs that sort of thing.

Guest Calx Sherbet

I like america for one reason which is

showing clearly how low human race can fall. We should seriously learn from this

it can be astounding at times.

I don't really understand patriotism. Where does it come from? I must miss that gene or something.

i always felt the same way about school spirit. i didn't understand it, or ever feel it.

a)i'm american and despite my own views on my country, i take anti-americanism at least somewhat personally especially if it comes from someone with no firsthand experience. it's like being black, or jewish, or you-name-it minority/ethnicity. you get a pass to tell your ethnic jokes but when someone else starts yelling nigger you are going to get defensive.b)it's rarely new or worthwhile criticsm. it's shit that has been picked up secondhand and perpetuated forever. LOL U EAT HAMBURGERS AND HOT DOGS LOL. NO CULTURE. RICKI LAKE AND WRESTLING. that's some tired bullshit. when you are flogging a dead horse thinking you're entertaining us with some new and novel ideas, then it's so unimpressive, especially on watmm when it's largely preaching to the choir.c) most of all, i'm anti-nationalist. and anti-americanism implies nationalism. i think we're all people, some of us smarter than others, some of us with better taste than others, some of us more geographically or economically priveleged than others, etc. there are reasons why people think the way they do. why would some poor redneck from kansas give a shit whether or not they could place france on a map? how is that going to put food on the table? yes education is an issue, and to be clear if you want to talk politics, then have a field day, but when you are taking jabs at culture, or the perceived stupidity of america, then i think you need to look in the mirror because chances are high that you have plenty of ignorance to deal with in your own back yard. ignorance is completely relative. americans are on-the-whole a landlocked people with no exposure to any other country. and why should they be? there are three countries in our quadrant of the globe*. plus, wrestling, reality TV, shit hollywood films, mcdonalds-- all these are successful exports because there are always plenty of people in every crevice of the world ready to lap it up. not just americans. america has its issues, but there is a massive population of quiet, well-intentioned, rational, hard-working individuals that doesn't make the news, that doesn't color international perception, and is victim to the bad name that the extreme ones that are fucked up and make daily headlines give us all.*yes i know there are a bunch of tiny ones near the equator but i think my point stands

amazing, thread should've stopped there.

for real though, pizza hut cheesy bites pizza was the dealbreaker. i piss on america.

or there.

wankin' banker.

Guest the anonymous forumite

There's a lot of anti-americanism in Europe and sometimes for good reasons, because there quite a good dose of junk, ignorance and political misbeahvior. But what people tend to easily forget is all the good things that came from American culture: so much music, some food, so many artists, etc...Primal anti-americanism is just silly. And yes, I'm a european.

I don't really understand patriotism. Where does it come from? I must miss that gene or something.

it comes from the human impulse to divide things into "us" and "them." the bad part is that "we" tend to dehumanize "them" in the process.

patriotism is just a pretty word for nationalism. it's all the same propaganda, making us think that our fellow man is someone we should be fighting against.

Guest Dirty Protest

The US and UK should be hated, for allowing our governments to blow the fuck out of farmers in countries we have no right being in. Just over a year after the cold war ended, we went and blew the fuck out of somewhere else, in an attempt to keep BAE and General Dynamics in contracts and to keep us scared (I dont care if I sound paranoid, just look at Assange if you want to know what these fuckers are capable of. Theyll put you in prison, psychiatric hospitals or just make sure youre dead, one way or another). Freedom, as long as its on their terms.

Anyone know any free thinking countries? Im really getting fucking sick of my own.

Archived