Why I'm proud to be an American

Alzado

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

we had so much potential...

lol when?

Agreed. The only potential you had was in natural resources, which you killed a lot of American Indians for.

Now here's something I've been thinking about... how can you say, 'I'm proud to be an American' when you didn't choose to be one yourself?

Plenty of people chose to be Americans.

Guest Helper ET

Just look at all of our faults, you have to feel sorry the ignorance of the average American. Unlike politically informed brits, who temper their enthusiasm for the sake of protecting their freedoms, Americans unabashedly display even their strongest feelings about their favorite sports team. When we hate something, we take to the internet and pretend to care. When we fear something, we cower like dogs, and our illegitimate governments develop color coded indices to cause false hysteria from their staged terror attacks. When we don't understand something, we scream and yell about it anyway as if we were experts on the subject, and we are proud of this pathetic attempt to have a discussion. Nobody eats like an American. When we love something that is meaningless, our apathy eventually reaches its most extreme, with our stomachs bursting, our fital organs straining, and bumper stickers supporting war. We go so far as to impurify our own bodies with the objects of our greed, and no subject is too understood or important. May God help you America and all of the slaves that call you home.

I don't really understand patriotism. Where does it come from? I must miss that gene or something. Though I do have a fond memory when I was around 5 being in the parking lot of my apartment complex and hearing Born In The USA coming from a 80s era Thunderbird. Also I did enjoy the air shows at the Army base that my parents took me to as a child. Other than that though, fuck patriotism and on a larger note, nationalism.

Americans are entertaining as fuck though. The stuff they do and like Makes me want to bust out some popcorn and dip it in nacho cheese as I watch them do the most outlandish things.

America, FUCK YEAH!

Now here's something I've been thinking about... how can you say, 'I'm proud to be an American' when you didn't choose to be one yourself?

So you cant be proud of something you didnt choose? So people cant be proud of their heritage? Of their culture?

Ive thought a lot about being proud of my situation being an american. It seems like a lot of people consider being an American to be a huge fucking chore, or a disgrace. One look at our politics, our sensationalist news articles, one tires of the constant limelight that america gets. Im sure its not hard to guffaw, to look down your nose and generalize america as being some horse with busted knees writhing in a muddy ditch for dear life.

At the same time, having lived in america for more than 2 decades i can safely say that i and most other people from america have had some of the most privileged most luxurious quality of life in history of mankind. It's ridiculous the opportunities that we have access to, how much control we have over our lives despite anything anyone in washington can do.

I'm really quite loathe to support nationalism in any form. So i don't like saying that im proud to be an American. There are things this country does and has done that are ridiculously deplorable by any standards. I have no doubt this is the case with all countries. However it seems like very few are genuinely appreciative of what america has provided them over these short few centuries.

Maybe it's just me, but i have never found any consistency with the America that is portrayed on the news, on the internet and the america i have experienced on a day-to-day basis.

Theres small things I like America, but for the most part I really cant stand America.

Its like one of those people that immediately vocalizes their thoughts. You need to muzzle your republicans so I can hear your intelligent people.

Sarah-Palin-Bikini.jpg

snooki is writing a book at the moment.

*curls up into a ball and weeps for humanity*

No, Snooki is not writing a book - some interviewer talked with her for probably two hours, and then transcribed it all into a book.

So you cant be proud of something you didnt choose? So people cant be proud of their heritage? Of their culture?

Ive thought a lot about being proud of my situation being an american. It seems like a lot of people consider being an American to be a huge fucking chore, or a disgrace. One look at our politics, our sensationalist news articles, one tires of the constant limelight that america gets. Im sure its not hard to guffaw, to look down your nose and generalize america as being some horse with busted knees writhing in a muddy ditch for dear life.

At the same time, having lived in america for more than 2 decades i can safely say that i and most other people from america have had some of the most privileged most luxurious quality of life in history of mankind. It's ridiculous the opportunities that we have access to, how much control we have over our lives despite anything anyone in washington can do.

I'm really quite loathe to support nationalism in any form. So i don't like saying that im proud to be an American. There are things this country does and has done that are ridiculously deplorable by any standards. I have no doubt this is the case with all countries. However it seems like very few are genuinely appreciative of what america has provided them over these short few centuries.

Maybe it's just me, but i have never found any consistency with the America that is portrayed on the news, on the internet and the america i have experienced on a day-to-day basis.

Aaaaaand how did you get that lifestyle?

And whoever mentioned "Born in the U.S.A." - take a look at the lyrics and see if you can figure out what Springsteen was really writing about...

snooki is writing a book at the moment.

*curls up into a ball and weeps for humanity*

No, Snooki is not writing a book - some interviewer talked with her for probably two hours, and then transcribed it all into a book.

http://jezebel.com/5725504/the-harrowing-date+rape-scene-from-snookis-book

Ben was apparently trying to talk the girl into joining him [in the hot tub]. She kept shaking her head. What a cock tease. Why go home with a guy if she wasn't going to bang him?

Ben waded over to get closer to her. Then he grabbed her wrist and pulled her toward him. She resisted, tried to jerk her arm free. But Ben held on tight, talking the whole time. he got hold of her other wrist.

Oh, yes! As Ed watched, Ben pulled the girl right into the hot tub, in her clothes! She went under the water and sputtered to the surface. Ben didn't give her a chance to breath. He was all over her, hands everywhere. Once he got a girl in the hot tub, it was over. Done. Ben would pound her for sure, whether she liked it or not.

Whoa, a lot of splashing! This girl was putting up a fight. Most whores would just give in at this point and accept the situation they were in. If she ate the dinner, took the gifts, came home with you, she was obliged to put out. If she changed her mind and didn't want to? Too bad. Things might get a little rough. She deserved what happened. Whores didn't respect themselves. So why should Ed and Bender respect them?

Ed tried to zoom the function on the camera, adjusting the focus to sharpen the picture. He moved in for a close-up and could see the girl's face a lot better. When things got heated, most girls looked scared. But this one was pissed! Ed smiled. He liked the fighters.

Ben tore her dress. Her tits popped out.

"Holy cow! Look at those udders!" said Ed to himself, momentarily stunned by the splendor.

Guest fiznuthian

Theres small things I like America, but for the most part I really cant stand America.

Its like one of those people that immediately vocalizes their thoughts. You need to muzzle your republicans so I can hear your intelligent people.

Sarah-Palin-Bikini.jpg

i have to admit.. sarah palin does not look horrible in a bikini..

:facepalm::blush:

could be the gun tho.. or the fact that her values infuriate me.

Or the fact that it's a photoshop.

America is a vast and hugely varied country. Lumping us all into a nice neat little package and writing us off will only come to bite you in the ass later when we roll up on your shores—with american flag do-rags, atvs with 17 cup holders all holding tallboys, shotguns in hand and empty gas cans in the back, with raging erections and drooling for a Big Mac—because we used up all of our resources and are now going to take yours.

Or the fact that it's a photoshop.

America is a vast and hugely varied country. Lumping us all into a nice neat little package and writing us off will only come to bite you in the ass later when we roll up on your shores—with american flag do-rags, atvs with 17 cup holders all holding tallboys, shotguns in hand and empty gas cans in the back, with raging erections and drooling for a Big Mac—because we used up all of our resources and are now going to take yours.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

Guest fiznuthian

Fred, i'd really like to know what you don't like about anti-americanism.

i'm just curious, as i would have thought you of all people here would have a lot to say about this place.

or do you just find it a problem that people generalize america when there's obviously good qualities about the place and good people here amongst the loonies?

i mean, i consider myself considerably anti-american in that i'm very far from being patriotic and don't support militaries, i do absolutely love the sprawling, gorgeous open land all over this place.

and while i think a majority of americans are either selfish, naive, greedy, or a combination of all three, i've met more great people here than i can count in my lifetime even i don't always see things the same as they do.

and its nice that there's a lot of opportunity for me to enjoy my life here (granted not all of us are so lucky, but most are).

i can learn, i can eat all the great food i want, i can enjoy relationships freely, i can work towards any goal i set for myself and usually make it there with some work.

i mean, i can see what you were hinting at i think.. it's fucking easy to live in america for almost all of us, when it's really not nearly as easy anywhere else.

even you brits, though your lives can be first-world easy like ours, go through more educational pressure than we do.. honestly, our public school systems are a joke and don't motivate the majority of americans to do jack shit with their lives.. i know, because i was one of those people, and i spent most of my youth thinking i was a smart-cookie.

it shows i think too, that your educational system is superior, as i have never met a british person who wasn't well spoken in some way. i've met a lot of american people who laugh and proudly boast about their terrible english and math skills, like its somehow become accepted here that its more than okay to not learn anything besides how to pound beers be one of the good ole' boys. then when it comes election year we end up with psychopathic politicians like george w and a GOP infested congress who trample trample over human rights both in america and abroad.

so i dunno,

america is just OKAY i guess..

a nation with two faces.

Guest Dirty Protest

as i have never met a british person who wasn't well spoken in some way.

I take it youve never been to Britain. I guess youve only ever met educated and visa enabled Brits. Same goes here, most of the Americans are well spoken and educated, thats why companies bring them over.

I cant win with my accent, to most Londoners I sound like a Klingon and back home I sound like a mincing camp gay.

Guest fiznuthian

as i have never met a british person who wasn't well spoken in some way.

I take it youve never been to Britain. I guess youve only ever met educated and visa enabled Brits. Same goes here, most of the Americans are well spoken and educated, thats why companies bring them over.

I cant win with my accent, to most Londoners I sound like a Klingon and back home I sound like a mincing camp gay.

i see.. perhaps this is true.

how do you feel about the education that was offered to you?

Guest Dirty Protest

I went to school a long time ago, in Northern Ireland which has a 2 tier system. A passed the exam to go to a grammar school, but my dad being so working class he eats coal and sleeps on straw, thougth it would be better to send me to a comp, then I could be with 'my own kind'. So my eductaion involved finding ways not to get punched and being a smart mouthed cunt. I dont hanker for the halcyon days of school.

Generally, British schools vary depending on location, as each area is funded differently. So its a difficult thing to quantify.

Edit:Dont know why I added the word generally, waste of finger effort. And now I ive done it twice =)

^^Knife crime is only a problem in London if youre under 22, black and in a gang.

Archived