IGNORED

In-Ear Headphone Recommendations

calx

I have to admit, against all better judgement I was really surprised at the sound quality and comfort of the Apple Earpods:

Apple-EarPods1.jpg

I have an iPhone 5, and I cannot stand these - they offer no outside sound isolation whatsoever, they are hard, and I guess I just have small ear canals, but I found them to be almost as uncomfortable as the original Apple headphones. They do produce decent sound, although there is little bass response. For me the most annoying aspect is the lack of outside sound isolation - I could hear people prattering away on the bus, and the whole reason I use headphones is so I'm not forced to hear someone's inane conversation, or worse, one side of a conversation with some rude bastard talking at full volume on their mobile.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I just have small ear canals

i'll always be tempted to tease at you now, regarding this. i'm sure you're well tired of being ridiculed - quite likely you wouldn't hear me anyway

LOL... what?

Guest Mirezzi

I'm the opposite. I have large canals. :(

To achieve a proper seal with ear buds, I have to use the largest silicon or foam tips.

With my Shures, I used these: http://amzn.to/11kVMmb and they were fucking perfect.

The tips that come with the Thinksound buds are silicon, which is fine, but the largest ones they come with just barely work. I tried some Comply foam tips and they sucked ass, so I'll be sending them back.

I also notice that my right ear canal is slightly larger than the left, so...1st World Problems, indeed.

Guest catharsis

As a bit of a headphone addict, I know a thing or two about IEMs, though my preference is big-ass cans. There's something about IEMs in that the sound really does seem to be dependent on fit and depth of insertion and I've never enjoyed them nearly as much as full-size superaural or circumaural sets. The goal with IEMs in this case being a) a balanced / neutral sound b) good frequency extension c) decent durability

I personally own and enjoy the Hifiman RE0 (not to be confused with the RE-ZERO), but here are some decent ones that seem to have a lot of fanboys. Sorry, no Dr. Dre Beats here.

Etymotic HF5

Etymotic ER4S, ER4P (these are awesome)

Monster Turbine Pro Gold (if you like heavier bass)

Ultimate Ears Triple fi 10 pros

HiFiMan RE 262

Fischer Audio DBA-02

Also, this guy has a lot of time on his hands and has reviewed over 250 IEMs. Remember though, I would get a number of different opinions because just one person may have a biased opinion or a special ear.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-266-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-50-added-11-29-12

Guest uptown devil

^ i had the thinksound rain 9mm's until last week when they got stolen. i really liked them, thinking about going the thinksound route again.. maybe i'll try the ts02's.

Guest Mirezzi

Another thing about Thinksound - talk about service...I was looking for replacement tips/sleeves. I sent them an e-mail. The CEO and founder of the company sent me a reply 3 minutes later and it wasn't automated. Amazing.

I personally own and enjoy the Hifiman RE0 (not to be confused with the RE-ZERO), but here are some decent ones that seem to have a lot of fanboys. Sorry, no Dr. Dre Beats here.

HiFiMAN is sort of on a roll right out of the gate, innit? And the folks (or is it still just one guy?) at Head-Direct are a pleasure (I'm assuming that's where you got yours).

Off-topic, but I really want to hear HiFiMAN's circumaural planar magnetic headphones someday. They look ugly, but they apparently sound amazing.

Guest uptown devil

Another thing about Thinksound - talk about service...I was looking for replacement tips/sleeves. I sent them an e-mail. The CEO and founder of the company sent me a reply 3 minutes later and it wasn't automated. Amazing.

yeah i had a good experience with them too. one of the channels stopped working due to a manufacturing flaw and they replaced them without question after the warranty had expired. they also sent a new set of buds for the inconvenience.

Guest catharsis

HiFiMAN is sort of on a roll right out of the gate, innit? And the folks (or is it still just one guy?) at Head-Direct are a pleasure (I'm assuming that's where you got yours).

Off-topic, but I really want to hear HiFiMAN's circumaural planar magnetic headphones someday. They look ugly, but they apparently sound amazing.

Yea, HiFiMan took off huge in the headphone world. There's a lot of stuff from Asia that's kicking arse headphone-wise. And yes I did deal directly with head-direct and they were fantastic.

Archived