IGNORED

Shopping advice

I've always liked the look of this synth, I had a huge boner for it in the 90's but I've never played around with it. I've been offered one for just under $400, it's got a faulty keyboard, but apparently all the sliders and the sound engine is 100%. I don't really have room for it, and I'm not that fond of clean sounding synths/romplers. How tweakable is this synth really?

What do you say dear EKT?

Get? Just to satisfy my teenage dreams? or is it a good piece of kit?

LOOK AT AL TEH SLYDRZ

Roland_JD-800.jpg

Since the keyboard doesn't work, you can't use it on it's own, so you're at the point where it's basically a module. If you have a computer in your setup and want to keep it there, I don't think there's any point, as you could make all of the sounds I heard in demonstrations on a computer without too much work. If you're going for an all hardware setup, it might be worth considering though.

Yeah, I'd just be using it as a module with hands on controls.

I've never played one in person, but have heard plenty of sounds from it. I've certainly come across plenty of people raving about them over the past years. I would spend a lil extra (around 100 bucks more) to get a good condition one without a jacked up kb. It *is* a rompler, but it's got a somewhat unique sound/tone to it. Very very digital rolandy sound (which is not somethign i've ever been into, but I understand it's place in peoples music). Try a post on gearslutz, there's bound to be someone on there that has one.

Guest hahathhat

look at ebay prices etc. if you think you can get your cash back, or even turn a profit, what's to lose? if it's shit you can always sell it.....

Guest MrSparkle666

I don't think it's worth it for that price with a jacked keyboard. Even if you don't need the keyboard, the fact that it isn't fully functional will make it difficult to sell in the future if you decide you don't want it.

a university i went to had one of these in their studio and i used to spend hours on it. lots of fun & SUPER tweakable. pretty much every parameter has a dedicated knob or slider. you could just sit there and totally warp the sounds really quickly and intuitively.

i've always wanted to get once since then but they are pretty hard to find now and also it's a pretty large synth. don't really have room for it at the moment.

if you knew someone who could fix it up, $400 is a decent price.

Archived