IGNORED

I'm buying a new TV

Guest Spittal

Guest Spittal

Let me preface this by saying; I'm not a technology idiot at all, in fact I fancy myself a bit of a nerd.

That being said, I looking to upgrade from my 28 year old Cathode Ray Tube tv... it's basically the worst. I've just ordered a bunch of HD programming that will be lost if I don't get an HD tv. I sort of missed all the "HD TV" madness because I was too busy learning about cell phones. So, I'm looking for a few things

-A good quality tv, none of this Dynex shit.

-Around 38-45' in size.

-inexpensive, we're both poor students. looking for under 700 possibly.

-nice lookin'

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Here's a great LG 42" 1080P internet-ready for only 729.00 at Amazon (free shipping too):

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LD550-42-Inch-Internet-Applications/dp/B0039RSYQS/ref=sr_du_1_map?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1301686566&sr=1-1

My PriceBlink addon for Chrome tells me it's only 617.99 plus 70.00 shipping at crispdeals.com:

http://www.crispdeals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=42LD550

Or 689.00 with FREE shipping at TVsZone.com:

http://www.tvszone.com/i145846-lg-42ld550.html

Guest hahathhat

Whatever you do, don't buy an LED. They cost way too much, and I can't tell the difference from the LCD.

until the backlight goes.

Guest hahathhat

LCDs have a flourescent backlight bulb that'll go after a couple years. LEDs don't die, at least not in our lifetime. doesn't mean a shit LED TV won't die of a malfunction or something, though. :)

LCDs have a flourescent backlight bulb that'll go after a couple years. LEDs don't die, at least not in our lifetime. doesn't mean a shit LED TV won't die of a malfunction or something, though. :)

That probaly explains why my screen is making some weird noises, when i'm turning up the volume on the backlight.

Guest hahathhat

That probaly explains why my screen is making some weird noises, when i'm turning up the volume on the backlight.

possibly, or it could simply be the high-voltage circuits (capacitors etc). watch it and see if the noise it makes is related to what colors are currently on-screen. though that happens more with old cathode tube TVs....

Okay thanks, i'll have to check that out.

But i'm also thinking of buying a new screen. Bought my current one a couple of years ago, and it's not very good.

Don't as stupid as me, and buy your new tv on the internet, always buy it in a store, so you can see it motion before you buy it. But that's kind of obvious i guess :facepalm:

Guest hahathhat

yeah. we read up on the basics (LED vs LCD vs Plasma etc), went to the store and played elimator. just gradually voted various TVs off the island until there was a winner... it's been a good beast so far, knock on wood!

1. LED does look noticably better than compact fluorescent LCD.

2. avoid vizio at all costs. LG is a bit better, but if I were in the market I'd look at Sony.

I don't watch or own a TV but I do sell/install them by day (shit job, but a guy's gotta eat).

Guest Z_B_Z

i bought a 32 inch vizio on clearance not that long ago and im happy with it. i know theyre the budget brand and all but its 1080p and suits my need fine..

Guest Al Hounos

Tip: When buying a new TV, always buy one size bigger than you think you want. New TVs tend to shrink after about six months of use.

Spring for a 52". :flower:

Archived