IGNORED

New Doctor Who

delet...

I suffered (and skimmed) through that first episode a few years back, with it's el cheapo computer graphics (instead of artfully designed props), and useless acting. But perhaps the new run has matured.

So chaps and lasses, has the show developed a nice aura ?? There's been 3 new Doctors now ??

Guest Gary C

I really didn't like Doctor Who, and thought it was pretty embarassing too.

But I've watched every episode with this new guy so far. On Sunday I wondered why I'd been doing this. I must like it because I don't even sit there scoffing at how shit it is anymore.

Perhaps it's like olives. Eat eight and you'll like them.

Perhaps it's like olives. Eat eight and you'll like them.

Ahhh, well put, maybe that's what i missed. *Leaves skin on fish when frying it and tries not to gag at both smell, and thought of imbibing.

The current series of Doctor Who is the best yet (biased, been watching it since 1977), and the writing and acting is great, IMO - I feel sometimes though the story elements can be love letters to the fans who know the stories and the show's history, but being invested in it is half the fun with any series like this.

Guest Gary C

Every episode includes an aspect of a grander scheme which is always tied up in the final episode of the series. I'd advise you let the allusions to future/past/as-yet-unseen events completely gloss you over and don't hang on them.

It can be really annoying sometimes and it's pointless to try to piece it together yourself. I've learnt from the last series that all those links are actually just dead-ends and they ultimately explain it all with another dead end.

Having such a long history within a TV show in which time-travel and dimension-hopping are the norm it makes literally anything possible. Unfortunately it means writing yourself out of a hole can be done with little consequence.

looks like the world's most attractive check-out chick who is so intimidating that you bypass her and go to aisle 6 even though there's a huge line and then you sit in your car for 10 minutes in the parking lot wishing you'd gone to her aisle and just--just smiled at her.

She's in customer service, the smile comes as part of the job. Which then leads to so many young men misunderstanding the situation. Forcing her to have to transfer to stock control just to get away from the possibility of triggering hormone induced stalking behaviour.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest analogue wings

that last one was like a throwback to the Russel Davies ones. it was like bad fanfic or something

ahh now i see why i was unable to get the new doctor who. I've just read the bio of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_T_Davies

His proposals would update the show to be better suited for a 21st-century audience, including the transition from videotape to film, doubling the length of each episode from twenty-five minutes to fifty, keeping the Doctor primarily on Earth in the style of the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) UNIT episodes, and rremoving "excess baggage" such as Gallifrey and the Time Lords

a Doctor who was "your best friend; someone you want to be with all the time", the eighteen-year-old Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) as a "perfect match" for the new Doctor, avoidance of the forty-year back story "except for the good bits"

it's pitch to make it 'relevant to modern audiences' was to refocus the show as a weak minded disney soap version of a european masterpiece.

But then you chaps, say that it got better after a couple of seasons.

;-p

Guest analogue wings

yeah that guy left. moffatt is much better at writing "small" stories with the creepiness of '80s dr who without the hysterical excess and melodrama and the constant OMG THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THE DOCTOR WILL EVER DO IN HIS LIFE EVER... UNTIL NEXT WEEK of davies. but yeah moffatt was channeling his predecessor last night.

ahh now i see why i was unable to get the new doctor who. I've just read the bio of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_T_Davies

His proposals would update the show to be better suited for a 21st-century audience, including the transition from videotape to film, doubling the length of each episode from twenty-five minutes to fifty, keeping the Doctor primarily on Earth in the style of the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) UNIT episodes, and rremoving "excess baggage" such as Gallifrey and the Time Lords

a Doctor who was "your best friend; someone you want to be with all the time", the eighteen-year-old Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) as a "perfect match" for the new Doctor, avoidance of the forty-year back story "except for the good bits"

it's pitch to make it 'relevant to modern audiences' was to refocus the show as a weak minded disney soap version of a european masterpiece.

;-p

Davis got plenty into Gallifrey and the Time Lords towards the end of his run.

;-p

Davis got plenty into Gallifrey and the Time Lords towards the end of his run.

haha, it was either then that he needed a catchy pitch for the controller, so dropped these baseline world items as part of that. Or that he realised that he was limited by the original pitch, or he had to many real fans bitching at him.

Archived