IGNORED

sequencer circa Come to Daddy

Guest frankbank

Guest tompty

Listening to flim for the first time in a couple of years got me thinking about how tracks around this time were sequenced.

I remember seeing a live pic a while back showing rdj using an MPC 60 for his live shows, was this around 97? cant find it now.

Would be interested to know, as some of the tracks sequencing gets pretty complex to achieve on an MPC 60.

Guest hahathhat

Listening to flim for the first time in a couple of years got me thinking about how tracks around this time were sequenced.

I remember seeing a live pic a while back showing rdj using an MPC 60 for his live shows, was this around 97? cant find it now.

Would be interested to know, as some of the tracks sequencing gets pretty complex to achieve on an MPC 60.

on the 1000 the "sequence edit" facilities are pretty good. copy, paste, move, replace, move back and forward, transpose, change velocity, change duration, etc. if you know them well and think ahead a bit, you can build up complex patterns very quickly by using combos of these e.g. a snare rush from copy+velocity used recursively. if the MPC60 has all that (never used it myself), it might not be as bad as you'd think.

that being said, i wouldn't be surprised if he used an Atari ST or a Powermac. Powermac is my bet -- i always kind of pictured it being made on a computer

Edited by hahathhat

Maybe it was a tracker. People forget about trackers.

When i was on xltronic i saw people rip into Grant from rephlex on all manner of things. No one knew it was Grant. I only knew cause I got his email by accident after asking for tech support on a synth. So it goes to show how little it matters if you are one of the cool kids on an internet forum. No reflection on real life and what you are doing.

Guest sirch

Maybe it was a tracker. People forget about trackers.

When i was on xltronic i saw people rip into Grant from rephlex on all manner of things. No one knew it was Grant. I only knew cause I got his email by accident after asking for tech support on a synth. So it goes to show how little it matters if you are one of the cool kids on an internet forum. No reflection on real life and what you are doing.

i couldn't agree more!

also, there is no such thing as "cool kids on an internet forum". :) believe.

I think for Flim it might have been a Windows or Mac based Cubase + softsynths

apparently for Bucephalus Bouncing Ball it was Csound sampled into MPC-60

Edited by TNT

Guest hahathhat

yes, it would seem he initially went mac, then switched to PCs (the vaio at gigs). perhaps some enterprising forumite will start a thread about "The Aphex Twin: Mac or PC?"

Guest tompty

apparently for Bucephalus Bouncing Ball it was Csound sampled into MPC-60

that would be really impressive if that track had been done with the 60. must have been an absolute master with the step edit function to get such complex sequences .

cheers

Guest hahathhat

56684271.jpg

in one of the other pics there's an atari ST as well.

maybe it was both in combination -- the 60 could have been slaved to the Atari or vice-versa

HAB and Spotlight Remix were done on an Atari Falcon/CDP according to my info, it's possible that RDJ LP and CTD were too.

Wasn't CDP more of a "plugin" type program for already existing sequencers/music software?

HAB and Spotlight Remix were done on an Atari Falcon/CDP according to my info, it's possible that RDJ LP and CTD were too.

Wasn't CDP more of a "plugin" type program for already existing sequencers/music software?

Yeah CDP is the software, and comes with soundloom+soundshaper (graphic user interface) for musique concrete activities.

atari falcon would just be a sequencer no? I imagine very limited sampler ability. How would anyone know anyway

Edited by marf

There is simply no way of know what Richard uses. I only know he was user Panflet on Analog Heaven mailing list.

I can only guess on Bucephalus Bouncing Ball an eventide H3000 was used. Or some other high end digital delay with sampler option.

Edited by marf