IGNORED

japanese tourists

BCM

anyone else in london noticed a FUCK LOAD more japanese tourists than usual for this time of year? i dunno what the fuck's going on but there are literally hundreds of them wherever i look. like about a hundred all standing about in a group. today they nearly caused a riot at goodge street tube station by milling around near the lifts and blocking the way through for thousands of commuters trying to get to work. they weren't actually getting on the lifts to get out of the station, just standing around right in the fucking way, looking amused at all these funny londoners in such a hurry. i was ready to kick off, but they were mostly kids so i just jostled through them and shook my head.

the other day the exact same thing happened only this time they had obviously got on the lifts, but were completely flumoxed by the exit gates. they were again blocking the whole foyer so nobody could get out. i did actually physically move some people out of my way on that day - seriously, if you're just standing in front of ALL the exit gates, simply looking at them, pointing and nodding, whilst a huge queue of angry commuters builds up behind you, you should expect trouble.

there should be some kind of education program run about tube etiquette. or more favourably, just fucking STAY OFF THE TUBE DURING RUSH HOUR you stupid cunts.

japanese tourists.

Don't get me started on the fucking tourists man. It's the way they just spread out across the whole pavement, standing there even though people are clearly walking and needing to get past them, so they have to walk in the road. Ignorant mother fuckers. You don't have to be a local to have common fucking sense.

yeah, tourists generally are well annoying, and don't seem to understand that london is a working city - basically, on weekdays, just like stay in bed until after 9am and make sure you're off the streets from 5.30pm. also walk everywhere extremely quickly, don't stop and look at anything, and walk single-file. actually, just don't fucking come to london at all.

WTF

:cisfor:

good. fucking good.

edit: this story is also 9 years old...

Friday, 19 July, 2002, 10:13 GMT 11:13 UK

and I think largely based on national stereotypes rather than real fact. unless all their surveys were carried out in benidorm and faliraki.

To be fair, I don't think that story is far from the truth.

A company I used to contract out to had a dude there, one of these types who miss the empire. He got angry once because I complained about British Airways cancelling my flight at the last minute, I was a little perplexed by this and one of his coworkers explained he likes anything with British in the name. Which I found hilarious and slightly depressing.

Anyway, this fella was a project manager, quite a high paying job, wore suits, very proper.. I only mention this because he doesn't exactly fit the lager-lout stereotype of British tourists in Spanish islands. Grown man, married, kids etc etc.

He was on a business trip to Paris to help with setting up an office there, with another fella from the states. They were in the hotel having dinner one evening and he tried to pay for the meal with pounds, claiming that it was "good currency". Literally his exact argument was as follows:

"Come on! This is good money! Not like the Euro, you should be able to use it anywhere!"

Absolutely straight faced, without a hint of irony in his voice. Where he got this idea I'll never know...

So yeah, we have some cracking tourists!

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i'll be sure to clear any stations i'm in starting tomorrow morning :emotawesomepm9:

seriously though, my most lasting impression from the last time i visited london was how brutally efficient being in the tube at or near rush hour was forced to be. there were just so many goddamn people you had to know your place and fall in line or else people would get Pissed.

seriously though, my most lasting impression from the last time i visited london was how brutally efficient being in the tube at or near rush hour was forced to be. there were just so many goddamn people you had to know your place and fall in line or else people would get Pissed.

It's true man. I get fucked off because I'm a real fast walker and everybody hobbles along not paying attention. It's not that I'm in a rush I just hate walking at other peoples pace.

The only rule you need to know in London is when you're on escalators, stand on the right, walk on the left.

london needs to take a chill pill.

really. i live in new york and would never think to bitch about tourists, let alone come up with a cunty thread about a specific nationality of tourists. wtf man.

it's not cunty, the fact is there is an inordinate amount of japanese tourists around at the moment - a lot more than usual and they're completely oblivious to obvious annoyances like holding up an entire fucking tube station of people at 8.45am on a weekday. how do you commute btw? do you work in central NY?

WTF

:cisfor:

I think English tourists are fine, at least in this part of the world. I keep running into them (not literally, but somehow whenever I try to start a conversation with some strangers, they turn out being British). Russians and Italians are the worst tourists imo.

it's not cunty, the fact is there is an inordinate amount of japanese tourists around at the moment - a lot more than usual and they're completely oblivious to obvious annoyances like holding up an entire fucking tube station of people at 8.45am on a weekday. how do you commute btw? do you work in central NY?

yes i work in downtown manhattan—i obviously don't run into tourists when i commute from brooklyn via subway, but from my girlfriend's place in new jersey, i take the subway from times square/42nd street down to houston st, so i do see a lot of those folks.

it's just the way it is, that's all—something for which one should be prepared if they knowingly live in a tourism-heavy city. then again, if i'm in a shit mood i would have probably created three of these threads in a day, so it's all good. :trashbear:

yes i work in downtown manhattan—i obviously don't run into tourists when i commute from brooklyn via subway, but from my girlfriend's place in new jersey, i take the subway from times square/42nd street down to houston st, so i do see a lot of those folks.

it's just the way it is, that's all—something for which one should be prepared if they knowingly live in a tourism-heavy city. then again, if i'm in a shit mood i would have probably created three of these threads in a day, so it's all good. :trashbear:

i work in the west end of london (as does obel) which is tourist central and it get's mad busy some days even without any tourists....when you add them to the mix, on an incredibly crowded tube train/in a station, in hot weather, things start to reach criticality! :flower:

i work in the west end of london (as does obel) which is tourist central and it get's mad busy some days even without any tourists....when you add them to the mix, on an incredibly crowded tube train/in a station, in hot weather, things start to reach criticality! :flower:

totally understandable. i might be a bit biased as i'm not a new york native. if anything, i'm just an equal-opportunity tourist hater.

we get it—you haven't been on the subway before. but please don't take fucking photos of yourself in front of the train, for fucks sake.

although now i'm just thinking of the time i saw some people (tourists?) taking a photo of themselves in front of a goddamned p.f. chang's (americanized chinese food franchise/chain).

you know what? just fuck people in general, the more that i think about it

Tourism is an important part of the UK economy, and one of the biggest draws is London. quite why is beyond me, hateful city.

None the less people want to see it. it's understandable to get annoyed at people being a bit clueless and confused in a busy underground station, regardless if theyre a tourist or not. But the shoe has been on the other foot many many times. I've been lost and confused in a foreign underground station loads of times. The London underground is particularly confusing and complex, can't be surprised when people get a bit stuck.

still, in spite of tourism bringing so much money into London, it doesn't cater particularly well to visitors. something that'll need to change in time for the Olympics. if I recal, the only part of the London train network that offers information in any language other than English is St Pancras intl, poor effort. I'm inclined to believe that some of this stems from the stereotypical English opinion that everyone can speak English if you shout it.

with such a proportion of citizens and visitors who's native languages use completely different writing forms, surely it's about time that London adapted to make everything easier for everyone.

I remember while I was in Beijing, many of the stations had signs not only in Hanzi, but Pinyin and (if possible) English. Made finding my way around a million times easier.

It's probably got something to do with the fucking royal wedding that was broadcast worldwide or the fact that the Olympics are here next year. Tourists love that shit.

The only rule you need to know in London is when you're on escalators, stand on the right, walk on the left.

It's supposed to be stand on the left, walk past on the right. As in the overtaking lane. You do drive on the left after all.

well, its kinda similar as going up n down stairs. always on the left, same as on a road.O nly difference on an escalator is that the right hand side isn't moving. you still walk on the left.

Archived