IGNORED

japanese tourists

BCM

In australia the stationery people are on your left and you walk past them to their right. Makes perfect sense as it aligns with what you do on the road. Maybe england has become more european than they'd like to admit.

well, its kinda similar as going up n down stairs. always on the left, same as on a road.
since when was there a going up and down stairs rule?

Like, since forever omg!!!

nah, it's not a rule as such, just an observation. It just appears to be something people just do. Could speculate that it comes from people here driving on the left hand side, subconsciously we apply that same rule to staircases. Do people in the states (or prety much the rest of the world) walk up stairs on the right?

another thought, might come from medieval castle designs. Remember learning that the spiral staircases always twisted a certain way. meant that defending forces could attack easier using their right hand. the result is that walking up one is only possible if you walk on the left hand side. Although, you walk down on the right.. Maybe not, ah well.

And now you know how people in tokyo feel when they see a load of whitey standing around going "derrrr even though the signs are in English, I still don't know what to do." (I will admit though , Shinjuku can fuck right off, that has to be one of the most poorly designed stations in the world).

Except Japanese people will actually stop and help someone if they look lost or confused.

Guest the anonymous forumite

You can't blame the Japanese tourists, they.re just so clueless. If anything, blame their tour guide, who is supposed to know the area they are in. I mean, you make them sound as if they were standing in the way on purpose or in a careless fashion, but if you know japanese, that's not likely, they just stand where they are told to.

And yes, as far as I know, Britons have a bad rep in tourism, they think it's funny being drunk and obnoxious everywhere they go. :whistling:

I mean, you make them sound as if they were standing in the way on purpose or in a careless fashion

It's definitely careless if you are blocking somebody from walking past and you're having to push your way through them.

Guest the anonymous forumite

I mean, you make them sound as if they were standing in the way on purpose or in a careless fashion

It's definitely careless if you are blocking somebody from walking past and you're having to push your way through them.

What I'm saying is that it's not because they don't care, it's because they've been told to wait there.

blimey, thread got reopened...

no tourist problems this morning, and I'm in a great mood! sun is shining, birds are singing...i even gave up my seat on the tube to a pretty girl who was looking ill and about to faint...no one else apparently noticed, but I was like, all chivalrous and shit.

Guest Ranky Redlof

yea Japanese are def the weirdest, but not in an annoying way. Its more like a group of autistic children. They do these weird things like visiting a belgian beer bar and one guy orders some beer and they just pas that one beer around to take a pic with it. And they are off again. :shuriken:

They do these weird things like visiting a belgian beer bar and one guy orders some beer and they just pas that one beer around to take a pic with it. And they are off again. :shuriken:

i saw this exact situation happen in the guinness factory, dublin.

i think japanese tourists are adorable.

yea Japanese are def the weirdest, but not in an annoying way. Its more like a group of autistic children. They do these weird things like visiting a belgian beer bar and one guy orders some beer and they just pas that one beer around to take a pic with it. And they are off again. :shuriken:

Haha, funny. better than the English approach which would be to ask what the strongest beer available is, order several each, get shit faced, shout football songs at the top of their voices, break the outside seating area and puke on the side of the road. honestly, British tourists are the worst.

I remember first time I visited Krakow, place is like a magnet for Brit stag parties. You can spot em a mile away being noisy, rude, and drunk. Even on the plane over, there'd be a bunch of lads getting shit faced off beer from the inflight menu and being generally rowdy. There's a degree of irony in the fact that many Brits see fit to mock other cultures based purely on stereotype, yet continue blissfully unaware of how they themselves might be characterising a negative stereotype.

another example, was over in Kiev some years ago to see some friends. British people tend towards the idea that people from countries such as Ukraine, Russia, Poland etc drink a lot, all of the time. In fact, the only people I saw drinking to excess and acting like idiots was a bunch of British lads on a stag night.

Guest Iain C

Been seeing a lot of tourists of all international stripes passing through Stratford station on my way too/from work lately. I try not to let them bother me too much (although like any good London commuter I hate the fuckers) but I can only imagine how shit it's going to be this time next year. It's a shame cause I love Stratford, even if it is a shithole.

Here's a good article from Iain Sinclair about the regeneration in Stratford and the futility of the London Olympics and other Grand Projects, amongst other interesting things: http://thequietus.com/articles/06667-iain-sinclair-interview

anyone else in london noticed a FUCK LOAD more japanese tourists

Are you sure they are Japanese and not chinese? It was in the news the other day that there are more chinese tourist now than ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14361202

yeah, they may very well be chinese...nipped up to camden town at lunch and saw another horde of them on the platform at euston...on the upside, once in camden there was a very large amount of young girls wearing very short shorts :pedobear:

Guest Coalbucket PI

My university is a bit like this at the moment. All the undergraduates are away and they are using the accommodation for some sort of summer camps for Spanish and French teenagers. I don’t know what activities they are supposed to be doing but they seem to just mill around aimlessly all day and fill up the pavements. It’s not even just that, they walk out in the road so even cars can’t get past.

That’s all that really annoys me about big groups of tourists, not getting out of the way. On the tube when people don’t realise they are supposed to stand on the right I can’t really blame them and I don’t feel bad asking them to move over. Just keep moving when people are backing up behind you, that’s common sense wherever you are.

That’s all that really annoys me about big groups of tourists, not getting out of the way. On the tube when people don’t realise they are supposed to stand on the right I can’t really blame them and I don’t feel bad asking them to move over. Just keep moving when people are backing up behind you, that’s common sense wherever you are.

I think the thing here is that any large group of people, tourists or otherwise, tend to be pretty stupid.

Archived