IGNORED

Scintilli is now early avaiblable on Bleep !!!

Guest TitsAndAcid

nah, generally speaking a FLAC will be exactly the same quality as a WAV.

For those not knowing: Generally speaking flac/wavpack/tak etc. are as lossy in quality as zip is to your word documents: No loss of anything -> hence lossless ;) Plus the advantage, it can transport metadata. The mentioned lossless formats support any quality. E.g., I have some 192 khz audio files from Linn records.

BTW I was surprised the flac files came in tagged. Unbelieveable! Warp learned file tagging! :cat:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NapLand

Halfway through the album and I liked it so far but it's not really something I think I like live. I've heard it all live I think, I am not sure I was too high to remember much but I know I didn't know any of the songs.

Anyhow, I hope it grows on me like Spokes did. I'm tempted to head out to the Hague in Nov to catch the tour but they better play more than just this album.

Only found time to listen to tracks 1-4. A difficult start. But hey I love Plaid and I will give it 1000 tries.

1. Missing: Something is missing here

2. Eye robot: Not Plaid, boring.

3. Thank: Plaid like. But the big idea, melody is missing.

4. Hyper, hyperUnbank: A party song. Plaid goes Scooter. I hope nobody caught me listening to this. WAHT TEH FOOCK?

nah, generally speaking a FLAC will be exactly the same quality as a WAV.

For those not knowing: Generally speaking flac/wavpack/tak etc. are as lossy in quality as zip is to your word documents: No loss of anything -> hence lossless ;) Plus the advantage, it can transport metadata. The mentioned lossless formats support any quality. E.g., I have some 192 khz audio files from Linn records.

BTW I was surprised the flac files came in tagged. Unbelieveable! Warp learned file tagging! :cat:

i usually only go for vinyl and/or CD and/or cassette (if it's available).

i don't often bother with digital downloads unless it's the only option available. and tbh i'm not really bothered whether it's MP3, WAV, or FLAC. i had no problem listening to MP3's before they made WAV available to download... and now FLAC. plus i'd rather keep that extra 2 or 3 quid that it always costs for WAV/FLAC and spend it on something else, like teabags/bread/milk.

so FLAC is the same quality as WAV, but just smaller in size?, so you can fit more tracks/albums on your i-shit, (which i don't have). actually, tell a lie, i've got an i-poo, but i never use it.

so FLAC is the same quality as WAV, but just smaller in size?,

Yes. Using wav in download scenarios is a waste of bandwidth and space. Some stuff is very good to compress, e.g. piano music, you have albums at less than 300 MB per 70 Minutes.

so you can fit more tracks/albums on your i-shit, (which i don't have). actually, tell a lie, i've got an i-poo, but i never use it.

No, other aspects. If you keep a lossless (better: best available quality) source, you have the flexibility to convert to whatever your target device wishes. For instance, I convert some music to ogg vorbis @q8 for my audio notebook in my living room, some other with a dsp in between to vorbis @q6 onto my rockboxed mobile player, for my car I need mp3 at lame -v2 ... for classical music in my car I need it with another dsp (vlevel.sf.net because you cannot afford the dynamics in a louder environment) ... you name it.

so FLAC is the same quality as WAV, but just smaller in size?,

Yes. Using wav in download scenarios is a waste of bandwidth and space. Some stuff is very good to compress, e.g. piano music, you have albums at less than 300 MB per 70 Minutes.

so you can fit more tracks/albums on your i-shit, (which i don't have). actually, tell a lie, i've got an i-poo, but i never use it.

No, other aspects. If you keep a lossless (better: best available quality) source, you have the flexibility to convert to whatever your target device wishes. For instance, I convert some music to ogg vorbis @q8 for my audio notebook in my living room, some other with a dsp in between to vorbis @q6 onto my rockboxed mobile player, for my car I need mp3 at lame -v2 ... for classical music in my car I need it with another dsp (vlevel.sf.net because you cannot afford the dynamics in a louder environment) ... you name it.

lol. that went straight over my head. :)

i don't listen to much music on the move really anymore.

at home i have a basic but decent Technics hi-fi stereo system from the 90's, i think,.. and decks, and my audio PC which is hooked up to a pair of pretty standard, budget but decent, monitors.

and my car still has a cassette player in it! :emotawesomepm9:

i have no need for flac/wav downloads, really (if vinyl/CD is available). actually quite often i'll buy MP3 over CD just to save a few quid, if i have to. but tbh i've hardly bought much music at all over the last 5 years or so. there's not really been a lot that i've wanted/needed to buy.

anyway, thanks for the info.

Nice surprise last night as I was catching up on the internets after a 3-day weekend. :sup: Listening to it now for the first time and I'm not disappointed. I like Thank, Unbank, and Sömnl the most so far (and that's as far as I've gotten).

All lower-case song names. :facepalm: They're almost there...

Also, I have to say I planned to buy this CD locally when it came out, but because of the early digital release, I reluctantly paid nearly $20 for it from Bleep. What the fuck is up with the $16.99 price tag, plus shipping? :rolleyes:

Also, I have to say I planned to buy this CD locally when it came out, but because of the early digital release, I reluctantly paid nearly $20 for it from Bleep. What the fuck is up with the $16.99 price tag, plus shipping? :rolleyes:

don't know about that, mate... it's £9.99 here.

wait. that IS around 16 or 17 dollars, right? so, the same price pretty much.

gutted living overseas, tho, and having to pay crazy shipping costs!

Shipping cost was normal, under $3. The base price of $16.99 is what I found ridiculous.

that is the cost of the CD in the UK, converted straight into USD. This is normal, and should be expected.

If I were to buy something from a US supplier and have it shipped over to the UK, I would expect to pay what it is worth in the US (usually cheaper than over here).

In this case, you are buying something from a UK supplier and having it shipped over to you. At the cost of what the CD would be in the UK.

I don't know, I've bought plenty of UK releases from Warp at local shops and didn't pay near $16.99. It's a well known fact that most of the world pays more for CDs than the US, and that's a high price.

But, if this particular album cost that much in the UK I definitely understand paying the equivalent here. I just checked my Bleep order history and sure enough, Cosmogramma and Oversteps were almost as much, about a dollar less.

Anyway it's Plaid and I paid it because I love Plaid.

I don't know, I've bought plenty of UK releases from Warp at local shops and didn't pay near $16.99.

local being the operative word there.

You buy from another country, you pay the price for that item in that country. don't know why some people have a hard time with this.

i remember when new CD's were, like, 15 quid! (approx. 24 bucks, today) - just sayin...

a tenner is not bad at all. considering the lush packaging, aswell.

i remember when new CD's were, like, 15 quid! (approx. 24 bucks, today) - just sayin...

i remember paying £23 for The Fragile.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

that's how much it was when it was released

Archived