IGNORED

Dark Souls

Joyrex

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat capra demon and gaping dragon last night. Gaping dragon was disappointingly easy... expected more. Now I'm wandering the woods with no idea what to do next... blighttown?

Same. Did you remember to cut his tail off and get the dragon king axe? My plan tonight is to explore the forest and kill the moth. Then blighttown. Be aware, seems like lots of people are complaining about blighttown because it both lags and is apparently poison/toxic heavy. Get some of the purple and white moss for the toxic darts and some purple moss for the poison. Apparently there is some shadow armor right by the entrance that has heavy resists to poison, I'd put that on once you find it.

Yup I've been farming the ents in the woods for their moss to give to that item trading crow... might hold off on that and save em for blight town though. Is that door in the woods worth the 20k souls?

Eugene- yes. Weirdest dragon ever.

Beat capra demon and gaping dragon last night. Gaping dragon was disappointingly easy... expected more. Now I'm wandering the woods with no idea what to do next... blighttown?

Same. Did you remember to cut his tail off and get the dragon king axe? My plan tonight is to explore the forest and kill the moth. Then blighttown. Be aware, seems like lots of people are complaining about blighttown because it both lags and is apparently poison/toxic heavy. Get some of the purple and white moss for the toxic darts and some purple moss for the poison. Apparently there is some shadow armor right by the entrance that has heavy resists to poison, I'd put that on once you find it.

Yup I've been farming the ents in the woods for their moss to give to that item trading crow... might hold off on that and save em for blight town though. Is that door in the woods worth the 20k souls?

Eugene- yes. Weirdest dragon ever.

The best place to get the moss is from the female (who looks like a male) vendor right before the depths (in the tunnel near the single rat). 500 souls for a purple, 1000 for a white and purple, i'd get about 15 of each for sanity sake.

I got that 20k crest by farming the bridge at 300 per, took a while. What it does is open a room that will mess you up hard, but if you mess with some pathing mechanics, you can get 7k souls ever minute basically. There are tons of youtubes about this area, including videos on IGN and gamespot ... basically you run out, aggro 3 enemies, go behind some stairs, and the enemies will run up the stairs and jump off a cliff trying to get to you. Yes its totally worth it. I brought myself from SL15 to SL30 in about 30 minutes.

Playing Dark Souls 8 Hours in and I'm in love. I get pissed every now and then but it teaches you to remain calm and you'll figure it out :)

I've been finding cheap ways of killing though enemies as well. For instance that long ladder that leads to BlightTown? You can lead your enemies to it go up it and then they will fall straight down killing themselves every time. You can do this over and over and get lots of Souls from them.

I was proud of myself when I defeated the Capra Demon all by self. Just ran up the stair let it follow me then fell down and once it hit the ground threw some hits on it and repeated the process.

Only real complaint is the length of time it takes for someone to summon me and the summon success rate. I've wasted a good amount of game time waiting for someone to summon me or for me to summon someone and I've got great Internet.

Guest AcrossCanyons

fuck blighttown. i've missed about 5 items because ive gone too far down not realising i can't go back up the way i came. that means i'll need to go through here atleast once more. ;_;

Guest AcrossCanyons

if i died right now my final words would be this: fuck. blighttown. most infuriating level design i've ever witnessed. small walkways, no way out without going forward, poison, poison everywhere! incredibly strong enemies, respawning enemies (that are themselves very, very annoying). the list goes on. and on top of this there are mad framerate issues. i really hope they get round to patching them.

still loving the game but i've rag equit for the first time after dying in silly ways 20 times in a row in this place.

if i died right now my final words would be this: fuck. blighttown. most infuriating level design i've ever witnessed. small walkways, no way out without going forward, poison, poison everywhere! incredibly strong enemies, respawning enemies (that are themselves very, very annoying). the list goes on. and on top of this there are mad framerate issues. i really hope they get round to patching them.

still loving the game but i've rag equit for the first time after dying in silly ways 20 times in a row in this place.

is it kind of like 5-1 or 3-1 from demon's souls?

Guest AcrossCanyons

never played demons (don't have a ps3) so i can't say.

after ragequiting my own file i watched my brother get through blighttown, kill the spider queen boss and ring the 2nd bell on his own one (as well as picking up a few nice items in the swamps). i am filled with new hope.

after ragequiting my own file i watched my brother get through blighttown, kill the spider queen boss and ring the 2nd bell on his own one (as well as picking up a few nice items in the swamps). i am filled with new hope.

Heh, glad it's doable. I killed the Moonlight Butterfly, then fell off a cliff and lost 20,000+ souls and 2 humanity, and died on my way back. Gonna do the forest farming trick to get 'em back, then I'll attempt to find Sif or kill the hydra. Moonlight Butterfly was an even bigger pushover than Gaping Dragon... killed both on my first attempt.

There is a spider shield in the depths (above the giant rat) that has full poison/toxic resist which you can use to block the darts guys. Also near the first bonfire in Blight Town there is a shadow set of armor (ninja suit) that has extremely high poison resists. The dark blowers don't come back after you kill them, and most of them I was able to snipe with my short bow. I also farmed 15 poison/toxic mosses. After using all this Blight Town is a piece of cake if you don't fall off anything.

Those mosquitoes suck but I noticed they are open to attack after spraying the red stuff (blood?) at you. Also they don't like combustion at all.

I messed around in Blight Town for the first time last night and got to the second bonfire with relative ease, but then logged out to watch some TV. The problem with this area is the draw distance. The place is HUGE. From that first bonfire you can see about a mile into the distance and even see items on the ground. Unfortunately this taxes your frame rate.

My only regret is I wish I got that ring (that i believe is in darkroot) that allows you to move through water faster, because the bottom of blight town seems to be ALL poisonous water.

Tonight hopefully I"ll tackle one of the two bosses in there. Definitely looking forward to never doing Blight Town again.

Guest AcrossCanyons

There is a spider shield in the depths (above the giant rat) that has full poison/toxic resist which you can use to block the darts guys. Also near the first bonfire in Blight Town there is a shadow set of armor (ninja suit) that has extremely high poison resists. The dark blowers don't come back after you kill them, and most of them I was able to snipe with my short bow. I also farmed 15 poison/toxic mosses. After using all this Blight Town is a piece of cake if you don't fall off anything.

Those mosquitoes suck but I noticed they are open to attack after spraying the red stuff (blood?) at you. Also they don't like combustion at all.

I messed around in Blight Town for the first time last night and got to the second bonfire with relative ease, but then logged out to watch some TV. The problem with this area is the draw distance. The place is HUGE. From that first bonfire you can see about a mile into the distance and even see items on the ground. Unfortunately this taxes your frame rate.

My only regret is I wish I got that ring (that i believe is in darkroot) that allows you to move through water faster, because the bottom of blight town seems to be ALL poisonous water.

Tonight hopefully I"ll tackle one of the two bosses in there. Definitely looking forward to never doing Blight Town again.

that ring is definitely helpful there. it's not in darkroot, it's back at the asylum.

only played about 30 mins today but i started a new character, may or may not continue my previous character.

barbarian w/ master key.

planned vit/str/end build.

Man I have a lot to say about STR builds, but i hit the back button by accident, I'll sum it up by saying make sure you get the Great Demon Axe off the Taurus demon, otherwise re-start again.

i didn't get any drops from him first try round. anything special to do or is it a luck based drop?

You have to cut off his tail, I think the weapon just appears in your inventory if you do. You can also cut the tail off the red drake after him by shooting it off from below the bridge, and it gives you the Drake Sword, which is so powerful that it practically breaks the first half of the game.

i didn't get any drops from him first try round. anything special to do or is it a luck based drop?

You have to cut off his tail, I think the weapon just appears in your inventory if you do. You can also cut the tail off the red drake after him by shooting it off from below the bridge, and it gives you the Drake Sword, which is so powerful that it practically breaks the first half of the game.

When you say it "breaks the first half of the game", do you mean it literally breaks like when weapons in the game are overused and not repaired, or just pwns the shit out of everything prior to you getting it.

Guest AcrossCanyons

i had the drake sword. definitely op for how early you could get it.

didn't know the tauros demon had a tail, thanks for the heads up. i'll try it soon.

Just started playing demon's souls NG+ with my SL 85 character and it seems a lot easier than my first game. Which is probably due to having a badass starting weapon(meat cleaver as opposed to a halbard). I beat the first level(no problem, but I died a couple times on the boss. but managed to not lose my 150K+ souls) and then died stupidly on 1-2 after rushing the final blue eyed night after running past the dragon's breath on the last stretch. I think I might just try to kill the orange dragon this time, since I have a pretty decent bow.

When you say it "breaks the first half of the game", do you mean it literally breaks like when weapons in the game are overused and not repaired, or just pwns the shit out of everything prior to you getting it.

It's just crazy overpowered for a very long time.

Heh, glad it's doable. I killed the Moonlight Butterfly, then fell off a cliff and lost 20,000+ souls and 2 humanity, and died on my way back. Gonna do the forest farming trick to get 'em back, then I'll attempt to find Sif or kill the hydra. Moonlight Butterfly was an even bigger pushover than Gaping Dragon... killed both on my first attempt.

The Great Hollow is unbelievably worse. I'm talking curse frogs everywhere.

The Great Hollow is unbelievably worse. I'm talking curse frogs everywhere.

Have you tried wearing the red robes you pick up in Blighttown? They have heavy curse resistance and make the frogs much more bearable. Quelaag was a joke... even easier than Gaping Dragon was. Blighttown itself wasn't too bad. Since I had previously farmed/explored the forest, I had around 40 of each moss, so poison is no trouble to me. The Great Hollow, on the other hand... my plan was to only use the top bonfire, so I could suicide and return easily after getting to the dragon covenant guy. Got to the mushrooms on my 5th attempt and died.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next,.. the lizard guys in Sen's Fortress are wayyy too tough for me. I've killed the hydra in the forest and am probably going to kill Ceaseless Discharge next. I still have to kill those three cats and Sif in the forest, but those cats are a complete bitch. Do I have to be in the forest covenant to find/fight Sif?

The Drake Sword in Dark Souls is relatively OP. Basically it does 200 flat damage, but still has to go through the enemies physical modifiers which means it hits for more like 120. If you take just about any weapon of your choice up to +10 it will out perform the Drake Sword. I did this with the Butchers Knife, Claymore, Axe, and Battle Axe on a STR build char.

The other benefit of the Drake Sword is that it has no scaling parameters for str or dex, so regardless of how you spend your points, your offensive abilities will remain the same.

However, in Sen's Fortress, there is a weapon that drops that is way more OP then the Drake Sword or a +10 weapon combined.

Use your bow to shoot every treasure chest you come across. Eventually one of them will be a monster/trap. Killing it will wield you a Lightning Spear (at least it did for me). You can use this spear from a blocking location, stunlock mobs with the electricity, and back stab for over 600 dmg. Lightning weapons have no scaling modifier either, its a flat 200 phy dmg + 200 lightning dmg at +2, and I'm definitely bringing it up to +5

If I were to do it all over again I wouldn't have upgraded anything until I was done with Sen's Fortress. I would have used my starter weapon until I got the Drake Sword, then used the weapon found in Sen's Fortress until the end of the game.

Guest AcrossCanyons
Do I have to be in the forest covenant to find/fight Sif?

no. infact you can't touch sif if you're in the covenant unless you want to be kicked out and branded a sinner. he's easy to get to. just go into the heart of the forest and stick to the left all the way, you'll see a large door past some weird passive mushroom enemies, sif is in there.

talking about the forest covenant i joined it yesterday. got summoned 3 times to defend the forest - very cool. first 2 times were against the same high level dude who i had no chance against. he was clearly farming souls/humanity with this method. 3rd time the guy got killed by npcs and i never got to see him.

Made good progress this weekend in Demon's Souls (Fry's had Dark Souls for 50 bucks... FUUUUUU... want to play that, but want to finish Demon's first):

Only have the Blue Dragon and the False King left in world 1 - BD bbqed me with his flames so need to get my DEX up so I can use the Flame Shield along with the ring (couldn't find the 'safe spot' you can stand, and Biorr just stood there and took damage - some help)

Got the Storm Sword from the sting ray boss in 4 - that's a badass sword! Beat the Old Hero, etc. the game is getting easier (a bit)

Started journeying into World 5... that's a damn big swamp! Leech King was pathetic. Those big Depraved Ones are a bitch since they can move much faster in the water than you can.

Do I have to be in the forest covenant to find/fight Sif?

no. infact you can't touch sif if you're in the covenant unless you want to be kicked out and branded a sinner. he's easy to get to. just go into the heart of the forest and stick to the left all the way, you'll see a large door past some weird passive mushroom enemies, sif is in there.

talking about the forest covenant i joined it yesterday. got summoned 3 times to defend the forest - very cool. first 2 times were against the same high level dude who i had no chance against. he was clearly farming souls/humanity with this method. 3rd time the guy got killed by npcs and i never got to see him.

Man, I wish my internet connection was good enough to play on Live. :( Either my router's settings are whack, or my xbox wireless adapter is just crap, but I get kicked off after about 5 minutes. Good to know about Sif and the forest covenant though, I plan on going with the Dragon Covenant when I can be bothered to attempt to descend the Great Hollow again.

Archived