IGNORED

Dark Souls

Joyrex

The thing with Orenstein and Smough is if you want Orenstein's armour, you have to kill him first, leaving Smough, who becomes more powerful and more dangerous.

Where as Smough's armor was actual usable in 4 kings and/or Gwyn, I never really saw a point to Orenstein's beyond looks. There are not a whole lot of enemies that do lightning damage in the game.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with Orenstein and Smough is if you want Orenstein's armour, you have to kill him first, leaving Smough, who becomes more powerful and more dangerous.

Where as Smough's armor was actual usable in 4 kings and/or Gwyn, I never really saw a point to Orenstein's beyond looks. There are not a whole lot of enemies that do lightning damage in the game.

true.dat... but if you're a completionist like me...

Epic game, omg the days the frustrations i had, i'll never forget, but worth every minute!!!!

If u finnish it u can play it again 2 more times and keep your upgrades, weapons and armor but its even tougher!!

i had to stop it cause of skyrim though but i will continue it for sure, half way my second run and still tons of fun. I'd say dont look to much on the internet cause it surely will spoil it (although i'm not free of sin), It gives u such a rush when u finally beat those impossible bosses.

I never could beat orenstein first...

... Still working on my Sorcerer. I got to Ornstein and Smough without any real problems (Queelag, Iron Golem Giant, and the Hydra were all pretty easy). I decided not to face O&S yet and instead level up some weapons first.

I decided to make a Moonlight Horn for a couple reasons. The first is that the shield is useless now. Second is that it is the second best INT weapon in the game. The third is that it requires demonic titanite which can be farmed in Lost Izalith. The forth is that the Moonlight Great Sword (the only S-rated INT weapon in the game, AFAIK) requires dragon scales.

Sorcery is not as OP as it was before due to the nerf of Homing Soul Mass, but it does not make encounters impossible. Instead I find myself casting arrows and spears mostly. I can still take down most hard enemies with a couple soul arrows (such as the giant guards in Anor Londo). If anything, I'd say that staying far away from enemies makes it so my dodge timings get rustier when I do actually have to engage in melee. You have to play like a heavy str char, as it takes a couple seconds to fire off a spell at something.

Not looking forward to Seathe or Four Kings. O&S should be a relative pushover unless I decide to take out Smough first.

I can't decide if I want to buy this game.

Is there any games it's similar to? I just don't know what to expect from Dark Souls.

Nothing is similar. The difficulty is like an SNES game. Expect to invest 50+ hours to defeat it and then multiple New Game+'s if you want to continue your char.

I can't decide if I want to buy this game.

Is there any games it's similar to? I just don't know what to expect from Dark Souls.

What acid1 said... there really is nothing like it. I'd say the only games that are similar are the old King's Field series and Eternal Ring, both made by From Software, who make Dark/Demon's Souls, so the similarities are a given.

I'm just not sure about the punishing difficulty. Either i'm going to love it or hate it for that.

But I think I have to take a chance on this one. I like the fact that there's nothing similar to it. Way to many games are rip-offs/copies with no originality these years.

It's really not THAT hard as some make it out to be - it's just unforgiving if you try to bumble your way through it. You have to plan out every move well otherwise you'll be dead in a matter of seconds, even when you've ranked up into the 100's. I'd say it's more realistic in the sense you can still be killed by just about anything regardless of how powerful you become.

And just about everything in the game is unique - there's really nothing else like it out there in terms of enemy design, and environments.

Yeah it's not that bad. You'll be pissed when you lose a lot of souls/humanity once and a while. But if you plan your bossfights and unwind your souls before dangerous fights dying isn't too bad.

Ugh, I hate the framerate in blighttown. Did they even playtest that area? :facepalm: I hope we'll get a PC port for their next game.

It's really not THAT hard as some make it out to be - it's just unforgiving if you try to bumble your way through it. You have to plan out every move well otherwise you'll be dead in a matter of seconds, even when you've ranked up into the 100's. I'd say it's more realistic in the sense you can still be killed by just about anything regardless of how powerful you become.

And just about everything in the game is unique - there's really nothing else like it out there in terms of enemy design, and environments.

I'd like to add to that - the game gets easier the more you play, enemies follow similar patterns and they show up in the same locations. You might die a few times, but the chances of dying in the same spot is low unless its a boss fight or you are being incredibly careless.

Yeah it's not that bad. You'll be pissed when you lose a lot of souls/humanity once and a while. But if you plan your bossfights and unwind your souls before dangerous fights dying isn't too bad.

Ugh, I hate the framerate in blighttown. Did they even playtest that area? :facepalm: I hope we'll get a PC port for their next game.

Well, they're working on a PC version of Dark Souls, if you didn't already know...

Last night, after 8 beers, even altering telling WATMM i would not do it, I went ahead and beat O&S.... then I beat the Undead Asylum Demon... fucking dark souls, it gets into my subconscious, i fucking love this game. Still probably my favorite game this console generation.

question:

I have not played any of these, but Im thinking about purchasing both of them in one go. As an RPG fan, am I likely to not care for this? It seems to be universally praised.

Should I play the first one to understand the second one? WOuld it be more fun playing them chronologically?

Have they confirmed that? All I've heard is that a Namco PR guy said they know about the petition and are impressed by the attention it got. http://www.rockpaper...mcos-attention/ I doubt they'll have From Software port it.

Yeah... haven't heard much about it since then - hopefully they are working on it, and not just prasing the fans' worship.

question:

I have not played any of these, but Im thinking about purchasing both of them in one go. As an RPG fan, am I likely to not care for this? It seems to be universally praised.

Should I play the first one to understand the second one? WOuld it be more fun playing them chronologically?

No, you don't have to understand either to appreciate either. I will say this though - if you play Dark Souls, you may not find Demon's Souls as fun as they made improvements from the first to the second game that honestly keeps me from going back to Demon's Souls to get the rest of the trophies. However if you want to play and appreciate both, go through the first one first, then the second one. You'll like both and have an appreciation for each one's unique characteristics.

Probably the most confusing thing about Demon's Souls is the World Tendency - there are some good Wikis online that explain it in detail, though.

I'm still messing with my Sorcerer. I'm so overpowered, but I keep grinding away taking my time upgrading everything because I love being over powered in RPGs. Its relaxing to me for whatever reason. Thank you From Software for making Twinkling Titanite cost 8k from the Anor Londo smith.

My fully upgraded Velka's Rapier can hit for 1k+. My Soul Spears doing about the same damage. Between a bellowing ring and a crown of dusk, I'm officially a glass cannon.

I took on the great wolf Sif last night out of boredom/curiosity, I didn't take any damage, all it took was 4 homing soul masses, and those were apparently nerfed in 1.05. I can't imagine how easy it was before.

I really want to meet Kathe, so I haven't talked to Frampt Yet, and my next stop is Four Kings. Not looking forward to New Anor Londo, but I'm definitely looking forward to the boss fight. When I had my STR char, I had to use iron flesh, and get all pyromancy in their faces, and use a fully upgraded 2 hander.

After that, its off to the Dukes Archives to get the rest of my sorcerer gear + my Great Moon Sword.

Sorcerer = hard in the beginning, lolling out loud lol towards the end of the game

I'm glad people on here are enjoying this game. It really is my favorite game this console generation as well.

Though I must give a word of warning to anyone who plans on getting into pvp in Dark Souls: Read the book "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. It will make the unfairness of it more easily digestible. You'll basically need to out-cheat the cheaters.

Played some more Dark Souls tonight with my Sorcerer...

I knew what was coming with New Londo so I brought:

4x Transient Curses (bought from female undead merchant)

Crest Shield +5 (for magic resist)

Xanthous Set +5

Crown of Dusk

Greater Soul Arrows

Homing Soul Masses

Soul Spears

Velka's Rapier +5

10+2 Estus Flasks

I didn't think I'd get far, but strangely enough I cleared all of New Londo including getting the +15 Large Ember, and even made it to Four Kings. I said what the hell and jumped in....

They were a complete pushover. At range, you can do a number on these guys. At the end, I ran out of magic, and they were down to 10%, was able to finish them off with my Rapier :) Got to chill with Kaathe finally :)

Didn't die once!

Off to the Dukes Archives sometime this weekend. WOOT!

i took a long break from this game while i finished school/started a job but started again....

I'm having a lot of trouble on quelag and I feel its damage related...i just cant seem to get her all the way down before not rolling away fast enough to avoid a random explosion...

is my endurance the problem or should i level up more or something before continuing...

Queelag has some pretty obvious tells. The trick is to watch the chick and not the spider, basically whenever she rests her head down low, get out of there, she will either spit fire or AOE.

For obvious reasons, don't bother using fire damage against her. Summoning the chick before the boss room helps a lot (have to be in human form). You need a shield that has good fire blocking, so if you have the dragon crest shield, use that. If you got the crimson set of armor, I think i remember it having some decent fire resist.

The trick to hitting her is not to hit her from the front or behind, but rather from the side. Strafing around her to the right works best, but you might not always have that option, so prepare to go the left on occasion.

Btw my sorcerer, i'm just finishing up stuff before Gwyn at this point, can't wait for NG+.

Archived