IGNORED

Still can't get into draft.

sergeantk

VL AL5 is like being trapped inside a black cloud. I think anyone struggling to get into the album should start with that track. I much prefer the tracks on Draft like this, like Theme of Sudden Roundabout and Tapr that are fuzzy, and have swirling, mysterious and an almost poetic magnetic beauty to them that surpasses any music I can compare it to. As opposed to the tracks that relentlessly beat you down, like the last halves of Surripere, V-Proc and IV Vv IV Vv VIII. I've always thought they are the weakest parts of the album and I still think they are. They're not as fun and enjoyable to listen to as I think they're supposed to be. 61e.CR almost descends into the same repetitive tedium before the melody saves it. I love engimatic Autechre.

See... I'm the opposite... it's those tracks you like that always put me off the album the most.

I love how we all have such varied opinions on this... I dunno if music normally divides fans so much but I like to think this is part of what makes Autechre unique and interesting... I've always thought they were the masters of mixing sound that is borderline offensive with sound that captures a certain kind of beauty I've never found elsewhere.

I think that from Confield onwards, the line between these two extremes has been blurred so much... even Oversteps, seems like pointless meandering randomness to some and to others it's just plain beautiful.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Xenblake

To me, Confield and Draft represent the same thing. Except Confield was 'grown' and Draft was 'built'.

Well said.

To those who find Draft warmer than EP7. Is it the overall mood? or the individual sounds? Cause for me the overall mood is too dark and sinister to be warm. If it's the individual beats/sounds you're talking about I can understand. For me, everything on EP7 bar Netlon Sentinel, Liccflii, Squeller and Ccec are warm and lush.

You must be using warm in a much different sense than me. I don't think "warm" and "dark/sinister" are incompatible. I agree that draft is dark but I think the sounds used are very warm by comparison to ep7, which is pretty and more lighthearted but using a colder set of sounds/tones (still "lush").

I don't think all tracks can be classified by "temperature", but good examples of "warm" tracks are tapr and surripere. The only track I would call noticeably warm on ep7 is dropp

draft is their masterpiece imo

its like when u get it u get it and its like woaaaaahhhh really awesome

i cant explain it to u because its a personal experience that u need to have for urself cuz u wont get it by someone tellingit to u trust me.

Guest Xenblake

Yeah I think I am using "warm" in a different sense than you, joseph. I see what you mean though. I'd just use "soft" or "rounded" instead I think. "Warm" is too implying of something pleasant and safe for me, hehe.

MaximusMishief, I did have this happen to me one night with Draft; It was after a party and I was good drunk, so I decided to fall asleep to Draft. I ended up listening all the way through, and I got that "feeling" like all this mess and noise is suddenly transformed into overly melodic pieces that you just don't want to end.

However I have since failed to achieve the heights of that nights' epiphanies. Drunk or sober!

:beer: to Draft 7.30 The Drunken Master.

I`ve never really been able get into it, it`s my second least favourite [first being Confield] Autechre album. There`s a couple of decent tracks [surripere really stands out] but it`s pretty forgettable and a lot of it does my head in, and it has weird flow to it like a compilation or a random bunch of tracks.

Yeah I think I am using "warm" in a different sense than you, joseph. I see what you mean though. I'd just use "soft" or "rounded" instead I think. "Warm" is too implying of something pleasant and safe for me, hehe.

MaximusMishief, I did have this happen to me one night with Draft; It was after a party and I was good drunk, so I decided to fall asleep to Draft. I ended up listening all the way through, and I got that "feeling" like all this mess and noise is suddenly transformed into overly melodic pieces that you just don't want to end.

However I have since failed to achieve the heights of that nights' epiphanies. Drunk or sober!

:beer: to Draft 7.30 The Drunken Master.

ya iw ouldnt say theyre melodic but the way the sounds play together definitely is something u have to pay attention to be able for it to click with ur head. sometimes it just takes focusing on a different sound than u normally would and see what its doing in the song and u discover the actual concept of the song and holy moly this is seriously genious.

Guest Xenblake

The transformtaion in one's head when Autechre clicks is just such a great feeling. It almost feels like you've just had a foreign language programmed into your mind and you suddenly understand and enjoy it all fluently.

and P.:ntil is so naughty and funky :music:

Archived