IGNORED

[BleepBot] Bleep Interviews Plug (Luke Vibert)

Joyrex

plug_500

In 1996 Blue Angel Recordings (later Blue Planet) an imprint of the legendary Rising High label released the Drum ‘N’ Bass for Papa album by Plug AKA Luke Vibert. In early 2011, Luke Vibert told Ninja Tune that he found some long-lost never heard before DATs dated 1995-1998 from his Plug moniker.

Ninja Tune have none done the graceful thing and just recently released a collection of tracks from the same era with the brilliant “Back On Time” album. It’s pretty brilliant so we decided to have a few words with the man about his Plug side…

Bleep: Has re-listening / re-visiting the Plug project influenced your current music making?

Plug: No – it feels like a different person made it…

B: How has your music making process changed from when you first made Drum ‘n’ Bass for Papa?

P: I used hardware then, sequenced by an ancient Atari, and now I just use my laptop, so it’s pretty different…

B: Is the recording process / production process different from your other material under different monikers?

P: No, I just use whatever I have at the time… I can’t make the music of Plug anymore [or I would!] but it was hours of going through samples then hours of putting them together/cutting them up/arranging them etc… I don’t really have that kind of time these days.

B: Who do you listen to these days?

P: Same old shit as always really…Funk, Jazz, Moog music, Easy Listening, Disco – anything interesting. I hardly ever listen to anything new (perhaps cos I spend so much time making it).

B: Can you envisage producing under another moniker in the future?

P: Sure…especially if I start making stuff that doesn’t really sound like anything I’ve done before (which admittedly hasn’t happened for a while now!). Although my usual reason for new monikers was cos I’d signed with a new record label and had to make a new name up!

Plug – Back On Time” is available to buy now on “Bleep

View the full article

Archived