IGNORED

Official Music Making Apps Thread for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad

Guest The Bro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you could use a MIDI keyboard vis MIDI?

the only MIDI interface you should be looking at for the iPad is the Line6 MIDI Mobilzer 2 as its the only interface with core MIDI support

Oh I thought that midi interface above has core MIDI support?

i never really got into it but i thought the inclusion of apple's core midi rendered these things pretty useless if you just want to plug in a usb controller. i thought you could go straight into the apple camera connection kit and things would work.

Yeah its a bit of a nightmare to just plug in a (bus powered) usb midi controller it seems. Basically its because an Ipad/Itouch/Iphone can't handle the power requirements so you appear to need a powered usb hub to get things motoring. Also the camera connection kit doesn't appear to be compatible with the Ipod Touch for some bizarre reason. I have the latest IOS running on my Ipod Touch but from the evidence I've gathered it seems the camera connection kit won't run on it.

i think the key is:

1. powered hub or the interface itself (the keyboard or whatever) has it's own power cable.

2. the usb midi device your using has to be able to run WITHOUT installing a special driver. just plug and play.

that's it. core midi should handle the rest and it should just work.

this site had a big list of compatible devices. the site appears to be down at the moment so i can't confirm but try it later on and see if it is up

i think the key is:

1. powered hub or the interface itself (the keyboard or whatever) has it's own power cable.

2. the usb midi device your using has to be able to run WITHOUT installing a special driver. just plug and play.

this site had a big list of compatible devices. the site appears to be down at the moment so i can't confirm but try it later on and see if it is up

Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying but do you know if the Camera Connection Kit will work on the Ipod Touch with most recent IOS? Cheers.

the only MIDI interface you should be looking at for the iPad is the Line6 MIDI Mobilzer 2 as its the only interface with core MIDI support

I think your right there however the Line6 was the first with core midi support and still a lot cheape

I think your right there however the Line6 was the first with core midi support and still a lot cheape

Yeah Ik Multimedia Irig seems to be cheapest now. Is just a shame you can't plug usb only midi keyboard into it. :(

I'm not sure whether to go for Nanostudio or Beatmaker 2. I have to say Beatmaker 2 just looks a little more advanced so I'm quite tempted to get that. Be sweet if this could be synced with another sequencer via midi!!

i think the key is:

Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying but do you know if the Camera Connection Kit will work on the Ipod Touch with most recent IOS? Cheers.

ah. dunno about the Touch. sorry.

but i just checked and that iosmidi.com site i linked to is back up. check around there and see if they have that info. i seem to recall the touch was lacking in some areas that the iphone / ipad could handle but not sure about the latest os. i rarely keep my devices updated to the latest os. i'm usually a few versions behind.

I'm trying to decide if I should get the Line 6 or the camera connection kit. Ive read a few things about differences, but havent come to a solid conclusion on what is better.

Does any know if you can use multi port midi interfaces with the CCK? Like a 4x4? Or does it only work with 1x1? More ports would be ideal...

I could be wrong but I think the Line6 Mobilizer 1 was just a reboxed camera kit but the Mobilizer 2 has the core MIDI support which is what's getting everyone excited

not sure if core MIDI works with just the camera kit but perhaps you could use a MIDI thru box for more outs

I'm guessing you guys remember the original Hammerhead software Drum Machine from years back. I certainly do and had a lot of fun playing with. I downloaded Hammerhead free the other day for my Ipod Touch but plan on getting the full version which is only a mere £59p!!! Great little program for rocking out some quick beats!!

hhthumb.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hammerhead-touch-edition/id330547965?mt=8

I'm trying to decide if I should get the Line 6 or the camera connection kit. Ive read a few things about differences, but havent come to a solid conclusion on what is better.

Does any know if you can use multi port midi interfaces with the CCK? Like a 4x4? Or does it only work with 1x1? More ports would be ideal...

Yeah the way the Camera Connection Kit works is you need plug a powered usb hub into it and then you can plug in your various usb controllers etc.

Nevertheless the iConnectMidi is without doubt the best device out there but its just so expensive!! I'm hoping the price will come down because I'm very minded to get it due to its sheer power and versatility! You can literally sync two Ipods/Iphones/Ipads together with it plus numerous other midi devices and usb controllers!!

I thought rather than having a gazillion threads it'd be good to start a general thread dedicated to all the cool new music making apps for the Ipod Touch/Iphone/Ipad. Feel free to list your recommendations.

I'll start with Beatmaker2 which I just started using. I decided not to get FL Studio as it appeared not as advanced as Beatmaker2. That said I think the main shortcoming of Beatmaker2 is not having access to a step sequencer for beats however we may see that in future versions.

Another app I'm using a lot is Hammerhead. This is simply a great little tool of inspiration for just jamming out some beats. The great part is once you get home you can just record em in via line in. I swear over the next few months using this baby I'm gonna have a tonne of fresh beat loops to use for my tunes!!

Guest Dogboy73

The only MIDI interface you should be looking at for the iPad is the Line6 MIDI Mobilzer 2 as its the only interface with core MIDI support

I think I'm going to get one of those. I was set on the Alesis IO dock but I've read loads of times that the MIDI performance is prone to hanging/missing notes. Not good. MIDI I/O is the main thing I want for controlling MIDI synths from my ipad.

Check these out as well;

http://www.lexiconpro.com/static.php?id=85

http://www.idesignsound.com/

Ez guys. The more I use Beatmaker 2 on the Ipod Touch the more I think you can just make music with an Idevice and its pretty decent. Its not as slow as you originally think and because all the functions are a finger click away it actually becomes very fast in certain respects!!

I personally don't think I'd bother with an Ipad though as its too clunky and has greater risk of breaking when you're out and about. Where as an Ipod Touch/Iphone are so much more convenient!!

At the mo I'm just making sort of deep house and techno tunes but in many respects the way I'm making music on the Ipod Touch isn't that far off how I do it with Ableton.

I plan on posting up a little video soon just to show you guys how fun Beatmaker 2 is!!

Peace.

I was looking around for a pro audio interface for the Ipod Touch and discovered this but it comes with at whopping $399 :O How do they honestly expect to sell it? Looks nice but shit that's just ridiculous!!

http://www.studiosix...udiointerface2/

iai2_withinset_med.png

I wonder if a similar device with a standard USB port that you could connect the Dock connector cable to would work... probably not since I suppose it needs the drivers...

I was looking around for a pro audio interface for the Ipod Touch and discovered this but it comes with at whopping $399 :O How do they honestly expect to sell it? Looks nice but shit that's just ridiculous!!

http://www.studiosix...udiointerface2/

iai2_withinset_med.png

I wonder if a similar device with a standard USB port that you could connect the Dock connector cable to would work... probably not since I suppose it needs the drivers...

Yeah plus I not sure such a cable exists.

I like that recording device especially the way it has its own lithium battery but its too expensive set against say the Irig Condencer Mic.

Lots of companies are doing interesting little interfaces but no one has yet to bring out an all in one audio interface for the Iphone and Ipod Touch i.e. midi, usb-A, usb-midi, xlr and line in. The Iconnect Midi is probably the closest but it doesn't have line in and also it would have been a nice feature for it to be able to dock an Iphone/Ipod Touch although that's not really essential.

Alesis_io_dock_comp.jpg

Yeah but that's for the Ipad. I'm looking for what the IO Dock does but for Ipod Touch/Iphone and it needs to be small otherwise portability is lost. The Akai Synthstation 25 comes close but I don't think it has usb/midi so you can't sync your Idevice to a sequencer. Also it has no line in.

Archived