IGNORED

Official Music Making Apps Thread for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad

Guest The Bro

Note from Squee:

A whole bunch of Music App related threads have been merged so the first 30-35 posts are all over the place.

Okay so my friend showed me some wicked music app today on his Iphone and I have to say I was impressed. Can't remember what its called but it had a sequencer and I think you could run about 16 channels with it. So I figure it'd be better with a midi keyboard. Then I discovered all these folks selling interfaces for like £60 odd wtf??? Why is this shit so expensive??? Fuckin' hell I just wanna plug a keyboard not have to buy some totally overpriced piece of shit interface. Nuts!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is the apple camera connection kit - £25 (40ish dollars) - quite cheap considering it's made by apple, maybe there is something similar not made by apple that is cheaper. It allows connection of most usb devices (midi controllers) to an iPad, so if you already have a little midi keyboard lying around it's quite useful. I don't have an iPhone so am unsure whether this will work for that, but there must be something out there.

This looks decent even though its still a bit overpriced (£55) in my mind http://www.ikmultime...gmidi/features/ . Essentially I'm guessing you can run your Iphone/Itouch/Ipad + software in sync with say Ableton. I'm planning on getting an Itouch as I don't see the point in forking out £300-500 on an Iphone when I can get an Itouch 8gb-16gb second hand for probably £100 ish.

main2.jpg

Yeah that is very nice. I'm very tempted.

Yeah looks nice but again I think a bit pricey considering it appears to have no midi which makes it somewhat limited to my mind.

There is the apple camera connection kit - £25 (40ish dollars) - quite cheap considering it's made by apple, maybe there is something similar not made by apple that is cheaper. It allows connection of most usb devices (midi controllers) to an iPad, so if you already have a little midi keyboard lying around it's quite useful. I don't have an iPhone so am unsure whether this will work for that, but there must be something out there.

Yeah I've seen that camera connection kit on Amazon. Again seems pricey considering its a very simple adapter. There are other companies selling the same adapter for £5 but for some reason plugging a usb midi keyboard in doesn't appear to work on them. I've got an Evolution UC33 and that comes with a midi interface so I reckon I could probably get the whole thing running in sync with Ableton using that.

Sorry I've just seen that Alesis IO Dock has quite extensive midi so yeah would seem to be quite powerful! That said I don't think it's likely an Ipad any time soon lol.

Yeah I've seen that camera connection kit on Amazon. Again seems pricey considering its a very simple adapter. There are other companies selling the same adapter for £5 but for some reason plugging a usb midi keyboard in doesn't appear to work on them. I've got an Evolution UC33 and that comes with a midi interface so I reckon I could probably get the whole thing running in sync with Ableton using that.

Why do you want to sync it with Ableton? I thought the point of a midi interface for iphone was that you could control apps on the iphone without any other devices..

Yep, beatmaker runs fine even on 1st gen ipodtouch. Too bad it doesn't fit with my way of making music, and too bad I shelled out $25 for it, augh. There are plenty of other apps available for a fraction of the price, just as good if not better than beatmaker.

Why do you want to sync it with Ableton? I thought the point of a midi interface for iphone was that you could control apps on the iphone without any other devices..

Well basically I might jam out something say on Nanostudio at work and then when I get home I might want to sync it up with Ableton if I want to run more channels or add some sounds from my Sound Modules with it. I guess it's about having options you know man!! ;-)

I'm prolly gonna get Nanostudio as I had a play with that the other night and it looked pretty good to make a few tunes wid.

Well basically I might jam out something say on Nanostudio at work and then when I get home I might want to sync it up with Ableton if I want to run more channels or add some sounds from my Sound Modules with it. I guess it's about having options you know man!! ;-)

Ah fair enough! For something like that, Sunvox would be good - it's a cross-platform tracker that allows transfer between platforms ie. work on a track on your iphone and then transfer it to your pc/mac when you get home. Though it is a tracker and i understand probably isn't everyone's ideal way to work..

I'm keen to hear what you guys reckon is the best sequencer out there. I plan on getting Nanostudio but am open to hearing what you guys have to suggest too!! :D

haven't you started 38 other threads about this promo? maybe just stick to them.

Nah nah 37 to be precise! In fact I haven't specifically created a thread about what the best sequencer for Ipod Touch/Iphone/Ipad is.

Nanoloop

Sunvox

That's all I need. Nanoloop for fun, live-based awesomeness, and Sunvox for oldskool tracker style stuff. Both capable of making some nice 'nu-chip' sounds (ie. not a blatant console ripoff but still obviously chippy). Sunvox has quite a learning curve though. I'm still getting my head around it and I've been using trackers for the past 15 years.

Oh! iSyn is very good too. I've never really tried the sequencer, but the sounds are great.

Ez guys has anyone got the Camera Connection Kit for Iphone/Ipod Touch and managed to get it running and more specifically been able to plug in a usb midi keyboard via a powered USB hub??? Please say it can be done!! Cheers.

This is the solution guys! It costs £100 but fuck it it'll do the job and theorectically I could get a 2nd Itouch and have two running in sync - oh yeah baby!!!

[media

[/media]

Guest ryanmcallister

i never really got into it but i thought the inclusion of apple's core midi rendered these things pretty useless if you just want to plug in a usb controller. i thought you could go straight into the apple camera connection kit and things would work.

Archived