IGNORED

Official Music Making Apps Thread for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad

Guest The Bro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've realised recently that there is clearly a dillemma with the Ipod Touch/Iphone/Ipad and that is the headphone output isn't that great. Now why is this a dillemma you ask. Well its a dillemma because lets you decided to use one of the new midi interfaces so you can sync your Idevice with your pc/mac etc well you now used the docking port which could otherwise be used for line out which I think its clearly preferable over headphone out.

Anyways I've discovered a few line out adapters but not sure if I'll get one yet although they don't seem too pricey.

31l8e-njdDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

21oF5wQOlLL.jpg

Anyone managed to get Wifi Midi to work with their Ipod Touch/Iphone/Ipad? I've tried RTP Midi and DSMIdiWifi but my Laptop doesn't recognise any devices at all. Help appreciated. Cheers guys!!

if your going to take app prodution seriously then an ipad2 is the way to go imho especially now uniersal midi is about that enables you to link sequencer and synth/sampler apps together

most music apps run like turd on my 3g however my mate did get his wi fi midi thing to work with live so maybe doing a search on the ableton forums is worth adoo

Well personally I'd have to disagree with making music on the Ipad because its just too big just to take out and jam wherever you want. With the Ipod Touch I can basically make music anywhere and I don't have to worry about someone stealing it or really knocking into me. I can literally walk down the street and make music or on the bus or train or even on the toilet (yep I've done that too lol). I use my Ipod Touch to make music everyday and have to say its a lot easier to make a tune than you can possibly imagine. I would agree that a midi keyboard would be nice but ultimately its not essential. My view is the Ipad is a really expensive music tool vs my Ipod Touch which I picked up for a mere £80.

most music apps run like turd on my 3g however my mate did get his wi fi midi thing to work with live so maybe doing a search on the ableton forums is worth adoo

I'm suprised man - I can get about 6-8 channels of synths/drums running plus effects on Ipod Touch. Its ironic considering my old Dell can barely get that many channels running on Ableton what with Windows running so much crap in the background lol. That said I'd like to see what the Ipad is capable of and how much channels you can run on it before it starts to buffer.

I'm suprised man - I can get about 6-8 channels of synths/drums running plus effects on Ipod Touch. Its ironic considering my old Dell can barely get that many channels running on Ableton what with Windows running so much crap in the background lol. That said I'd like to see what the Ipad is capable of and how much channels you can run on it before it starts to buffer.

what app?

what app?

Beatmaker 2.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dogboy73

Another new audio interface but which uses the headphone in so not really pro quality but looks nice. The Tascam iXZ.

tascam-audio-interface-ixz.jpg

That looks good. Very good infact.

I've got an IK iRig MIDI on order. Waiting for DV to get them in stock.

http://www.promusicapps.com/

www.idesignsound.com

Another new audio interface but which uses the headphone in so not really pro quality but looks nice. The Tascam iXZ.

tascam-audio-interface-ixz.jpg

That looks good. Very good infact.

I've got an IK iRig MIDI on order. Waiting for DV to get them in stock.

http://www.promusicapps.com/

www.idesignsound.com

You can get em from Soundslive! http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~IK-Multimedia-iRig-MIDI~ID~16109.asp

I haven't yet bought one tho 'cause I'm kinda waiting for an all in one usb and audio interface to come out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

check out GlitchMachine for iOS. runs on both iPad and iPhone.

...and don't be scared away by the command-line coding. i'm completely allergic to that sort of thing but this app makes it very approachable and easy to get started. there are a number of examples provided so you can just load them up and then start messing with them as they run and get an idea of how things function. it all happens in realtime. very cool retro interface as well.

i bought a line 6 mobile in yesterday and realized a couple hours after placing the order that it's not compatible with my ipod touch. :{ Does any own a iriffport or that tascam interface? are they any good etc..

check out GlitchMachine for iOS. runs on both iPad and iPhone.

...and don't be scared away by the command-line coding. i'm completely allergic to that sort of thing but this app makes it very approachable and easy to get started. there are a number of examples provided so you can just load them up and then start messing with them as they run and get an idea of how things function. it all happens in realtime. very cool retro interface as well.

Thanks for the tip on GlitchMachine. Just purchased. Looks fucking epic. Pretty excited about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suprised man - I can get about 6-8 channels of synths/drums running plus effects on Ipod Touch. Its ironic considering my old Dell can barely get that many channels running on Ableton what with Windows running so much crap in the background lol.

what app?

Beatmaker 2.

You can uninstall and stop that crap you know. Make a user account dedicated to making tunes, and kill everything you don't need to run your music software... I seriously doubt your ipod touch is better suited for music making.

so is beatmaker 2 the best app for this? i'm probably going to be getting an itouch.

Its definitely one of the best. Plus the recent update has added a hell a lot of things that users were asking for so yeah go for it or Nanostudio. And yes if you wanna get a cheap and super reliable way of making music then get an Itouch!!

Anyone grab that new Moog iOS synth app? I did, but haven't really delved into it yet. Some of the sounds are pretty nice, and the way they made the on-screen keyboard adjustable between "keys" and "theremin" is pretty cool. Also the graphics that zoom all around are nice.

Archived