IGNORED

Music Experiment

zlemflolia

Randomly sampled 1,000 people from a group of the population who only listens to popular radio stations exclusively

Cut them off from listening to any music for 6 months

After 6 months are over, make them listen to the top 10 hits of the past 6 months, some mediocre songs with okay ratings, and music of a similar style that ended up absolutely tanking in popularity

When asked which are their favorites, would these people be able to consistently rank the music in the correct order of popularity?

If not, their musical taste is completely dictated by pop culture and the mainstream vs. nonmainstream would be debunked, rendering radio listeners objectively the least tasteful music listeners

so i take it this is a suggestion for an experiment. ok.

and i guess you mean tastes are completely dictated by marketing.

i disagree. i reckon the likely result would be that those people would like the stuff that is actually popular. i can tell the difference between a good (successful, popular) pop song and bad (unsuccessful, unpopular) pop song, even if i don't like either of them. so i'm sure someone who listens to that stuff all the time could too.

i'd go insane without music. jus sayin'..

me too, but I suppose if you allowed them other outlets. such as perhaps playing video games, or watching tv/movies (pop songs are slipped into tv quite often, but perhaps if you didn't allow them to look up info on songs heard in shows)... or perhaps offer constraints on what music they can listen to, such as allowing them to listen to older classical or jazz, or old classics from no more modern than the 70's, it'd be interesting to see if forcing them to listen to other styles/older influences would effect thier tastes coming out of the experiment...

If I didn't listen to music for half a year it would be a blast afterwards and I'd enjoy everything much more than now that I'm spoiled by all the playback I have at my disposal.

Dunno, doesn't seem like your conclusion really follows from the experiment. The participants might not rank the songs on the charts the same way the charts actually appear anyway, even while they've got access to the radio. Just because they can't predict the larger crowd-driven, ad-fueled chart rankings exactly does not mean "their musical taste is completely dictated by pop culture and the mainstream vs. nonmainstream would be debunked."

gnome sane

Guest Frankie5fingers

i kinda agree with Tauboo. but not completely. i don't think that marketing dictates what people think is good or bad. those songs are popular for a reason. cause most people actually like it. but Marketing does in fact dictate what "Will" be "Massively" popular. take Gaga for instance. i don't like her but a lot of people do. without marketing she wouldn't be where she is now but would still be relatively popular. Marketing just gave her that push to be a huge success instead of a moderate one.

as for them listing it in the right order, im a little confused. are they listing them in order of what "they" liked or in the order they think the billboard listed them. if its the latter then i think they would get at least several right. cause like i said, the music is popular for a reason.

OMG 6 months without musics? i will die, i love musics, musics are my live, musics is my girlfiends, my love!!!

just now i listened to 1000 musics on my laptop speakers on yotubes and i loves the laser FX on the cymbalz...

last nite i downloaded 500 musics in 96Kbps the magazine says it's better then CDS!!!

OMG I LOOVE MUSICS!!!

av-6794.gif

It would be in order of what they like most

They would be presented in a random order to each participant in the study so there are no biases in which they favor

If their rankings are not significantly similar to the real world population's ranking then their opinions can be deemed highly wavering and based on the media, what other people like, etc.

This study has too many factors to be pulled off.

Really the only way to do it is to lock them in a cellar for half a year but i think by the time that's over they'd be worrying about more than what was popular on the radio.

Although I wonder if we could use a sample of solitary confined prison inmates who haven't heard any radio in years. That'd be interesting for... a lot of reasons

Guest Sprigg

Really the only way to do it is to lock them in a cellar for half a year but i think by the time that's over they'd be worrying about more than what was popular on the radio.

Although I wonder if we could use a sample of solitary confined prison inmates who haven't heard any radio in years. That'd be interesting for... a lot of reasons

Play them this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lcyeHuy7W0

Guest zaphod

i would think any music would sound amazing after six months of isolation. maybe not. i'm not sure i agree with your thesis though. actually, i don't know what your experiment is attempting to prove, other than your own personal bias against listeners of "popular" or "mainstream" music.

wait, how do you even draw your final conclusion? how can taste be objective? this makes no sense at all...

Because there's a high probability that if the majority of popular music radio listeners determine how much they like a given song based solely on its individual merits, that they'd rank the songs in a similar order to the general public, despite not having been exposed to the general public's sentiments on the songs and the variation in frequency of plays on the radio

Play them this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lcyeHuy7W0

I love The Haxan Cloak, they're really underrated IMO... so much dark gloomy atmosphere... I'm sure I'll be listening to this tons again come October

Archived